NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
I believe I heard/read that the Bulls have no interest in Amare and prefer Boozer. But at least with Boozer he won't get a max deal (~$10-11 mil is what I read).

They love Johnson, and also like Boozer over Amare, but Bosh over both. And I've heard/read $13 for Boozer.

Let's be honest here: if the Bulls don't get Lebron or Bosh, the summer was a failure and it'll be VERY difficult for the Bulls to win any rings in the next decade even if they get some other pieces, particularly if the superteam scenario in Miami plays out.

On a side note, I find it funny how so many people are STILL taking some of these reports seriously. THEY ARE ALL BS! Just wait until somebody makes a verbal commitment or signs a deal, because you aren't going to know what will happen until then. Period.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
Let's be honest here: if the Bulls don't get Lebron or Bosh, the summer was a failure and it'll be VERY difficult for the Bulls to win any rings in the next decade even if they get some other pieces, particularly if the superteam scenario in Miami plays out.

On a side note, I find it funny how so many people are STILL taking some of these reports seriously. THEY ARE ALL BS! Just wait until somebody makes a verbal commitment or signs a deal, because you aren't going to know what will happen until then. Period.

You can't really say it's all BS since the rumors are based on sources. The big three did have a meeting and did express interest in playing together. They talked about the contract situation. So, being worried about this as a possibility is totally justified. It's not like people are making this stuff up.

Believing the rumors as fact is another thing.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
You can't really say it's all BS since the rumors are based on sources. The big three did have a meeting and did express interest in playing together. They talked about the contract situation. So, being worried about this as a possibility is totally justified. It's not like people are making this stuff up.

Sure I can. Every source leaking information has some sort of agenda, and many of them are stretching their stories, if not outright making things up. Even if some of them are telling the 100 percent truth, we have no idea which ones are, so if the truth is out there, we have no idea where it is. And of course there is reason to be worried, there has been all along and will be until the deals are done.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I got to thinking this morning: How is Wade meeting with Bosh and LBJ not a very obvious form of tampering? You have Wade who is still technically under contract with the Heat until July 1 "recruiting" two other players who are also still under contract. If possible contract numbers were involved, then it's fair to assume Wade got some "inside info" from the Heat.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
I got to thinking this morning: How is Wade meeting with Bosh and LBJ not a very obvious form of tampering?

I think it's probably as simple as the tampering rules applying to organizations, not to players.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
But Wade is still technically a member of the organization, therefore a rep.

I think the distinction is that technically you have to be some member of of the Organization's administration or front office or staff for it to be tampering.

How else would they enforce this if it could be tampering for players to fraternize together? What, Wade is not allowed to be "friends" with LeBron and/or Bosh? They can't have dinner together? Play golf together?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
I think the distinction is that technically you have to be some member of of the Organization's administration or front office or staff for it to be tampering.

How else would they enforce this if it could be tampering for players to fraternize together? What, Wade is not allowed to be "friends" with LeBron and/or Bosh? They can't have dinner together? Play golf together?

Oh i"m not saying they cant be friends. Heck, they can even say "wouldnt it be great to play together someday". To me, where the line is drawn is when you have a player "recruiting" in a wink wink fashion on behalf of his team and discussing contract numbers.

I understand things are done through "back channels" as to clear an organization of tampering charges, but this isnt even back channel. This is through the front door with the windows open.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
Oh i"m not saying they cant be friends. Heck, they can even say "wouldnt it be great to play together someday". To me, where the line is drawn is when you have a player "recruiting" in a wink wink fashion on behalf of his team and discussing contract numbers.

I understand things are done through "back channels" as to clear an organization of tampering charges, but this isnt even back channel. This is through the front door with the windows open.

The only reason it is being done openly is because there are no rules to currently prohibit it.

Honestly, how on earth would they enforce this sort of thing?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)

as much as I post in this thread I'm not aware of everything that has gone down, when are you referring to this happening? If it was this weekend that didn't happen, Lebron was in NY and Wade's agent said Wade was in Chicago all weekend with his kids.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
I think it's probably as simple as the tampering rules applying to organizations, not to players.

as a Bulls fan I don't want the NBA investigating tampering during this summer with some of the stuff that B & B hinted at was going on with the Bulls during the Thibedau hire.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
as a Bulls fan I don't want the NBA investigating tampering during this summer with some of the stuff that B & B hinted at was going on with the Bulls during the Thibedau hire.

I think the NBA is going to stay content as long as you've kept everything under the table. They just don't want it openly on the front page. They can't possibly be mad about having their league take over the media again right around the all-star break.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
World Wide Wes might be a huge fraud though. It is something I've wondered for a long time. Is he really this powerful and if he is, why won't he shut up. Might be someone trying to make a name for himself.

he may be, but there's also the logical POV on Chicago having a decent shot. If Lebron wants to win right now and have it be his team, with everything as is, the Bulls are the best location for him.

Ive had a bad feeling for a week or so now. Id love to be wrong, but Im not nearly as convinced as Steve that Lebron would never play with Wade. If Wade is telling Lebron/Bosh that he personally will take a pay cut to have them both play in Miami, its a pretty good pitch.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
as much as I post in this thread I'm not aware of everything that has gone down, when are you referring to this happening? If it was this weekend that didn't happen, Lebron was in NY and Wade's agent said Wade was in Chicago all weekend with his kids.

You would be correct. D-Wade had to finalize his divorce and was in Chicago. Guess what? The Broussard report is completely false. Read below.

Wade reps dispute ESPN report about summit with James and Bosh

Two of Dwyane Wade's representatives on Tuesday disputed an ESPN report that Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh held a mini-summit in Miami this past weekend to discuss their plans for free agency, which begins Thursday.

Wade's representatives said the report was untrue, and that Wade spent the weekend in Chicago. Bosh spent the weekend in Miami and told The Miami Herald that the Heat is in ‘‘top contention'' to sign him.

Wade spent Thursday in Las Vegas for a players association meeting. He spent Friday (to finalize his divorce) and Saturday (to spend time with his sons) in Chicago and left for an undisclosed location Sunday.

"He was in Chicago and you know that," said Henry Thomas, the agent who represents Wade and Bosh. "So anything that says Dwyane was anywhere other than Chicago this weekend was incorrect. But that's what we're dealing with this time of the year with free agency."

The ESPN report said the three players met in Miami and that the Heat is the favorite to land James, but also that James left the meeting "noncommittal."

Radio broadcaster Stephen A. Smith reported Monday that James and Bosh will sign with the Heat, joining Wade. But James plans to meet with six teams -- including the Heat -- beginning Thursday in Akron, Ohio. Bosh said he will take multiple free agent visits and will not make a decision until they have been completed.

Wade is widely expected to sign again but reportedly will visit the Knicks and Nets anyway.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/29/1706...l#ixzz0sGvmIa25

Come on guys, there's a lot of bulls*** being slung around... I still the the Bulls are LeBron's likely destination for reasons I've already posted.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
All this s*** is making my head hurt. I'm done with this until Thursday.

well everything probably won't shake out until next week anyway, but some of the reports starting Thursday are going to be priceless, every breath one of those guys take is going to be analyzed and I bet we have a few "false" reports before things are finalized

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
You would be correct. D-Wade had to finalize his divorce and was in Chicago. Guess what? The Broussard report is completely false. Read below.

Come on guys, there's a lot of bulls*** being slung around... I still the the Bulls are LeBron's likely destination for reasons I've already posted.

Chris Broussard stands by his report -

Marc Stein & I have multiple sources who saw the players in Miami Sat. denials r smart since meeting could b tampering, but our info is good

Note the bold part.