NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
Chris Broussard @Chris_Broussard 56 sec Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

There r only 4 teams Dwight Howard would sign longterm with - Orl, NJ, LAL, Dal - source says. Rules out a possible DRose-D12 duo in CHI

Not that we didn't know this.

Howard is a douche, joining the Bulls would make him an instant long term title contender and we would deny LBJ and the Heat their 7-8 cships.

New Jersey??GTFO

I don't get it. All Rose has to do is pick up the phone and he can make this a top notch franchise potentially, instead of a second tier one.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/...ruiting-players

Derrick Rose not comfortable recruiting

By Nick Friedell

ESPNChicago.com

Archive

DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose doesn't want to recruit players -- now, or in the future.

"That's just not me," he told ESPNChicago.com on Tuesday night. "My whole life, I've never been the type of player where I've recruited people like that."

Rose knows there are a lot of people out there who wish he would pick up the phone to call Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard, who has requested a trade from his team, or other prominent free agents in the future, but the 23 year old says it's not in his nature.

"I've never been a coach," he continued with a laugh. "I don't know how the conversation would go, actually, if I called him. 'What's up?' or whatever? I don't know how to even approach someone about coming here. It would be super hard."

Rose is skeptical a personal phone call would make that much of a difference, even one coming from the reigning NBA MVP.

"I don't think one person can do that," he said. "That's just like if someone called me, asking me to come to their team, I don't think I would come just because they called. I think I would have to know where I'm living at, knowing where I'll eat at every night. Everything comes into play when you talk about moving to another city."

Rose said he wasn't offended that Howard didn't list the Bulls as a team he would like to be traded to and sign an extension with. Howard, through his agent Dan Fegan, said he only wanted to be dealt to the Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas Mavericks or New Jersey Nets.

"I'm not worried about that," Rose said. "Everybody has their own place where they want to play, their own agenda. So it was up to him."

When pressed, Rose admitted that his stance on recruiting would probably never change.

"I don't think so," he said. "I don't think I'll ever be able to."

Not surprisingly, Rose said that he hasn't spoken to Howard.

"No, I haven't talked to him," Rose said. "You know me, I think Chicago speaks for itself marketing-wise. It's a great place. Why wouldn't anyone want to come here? He's probably been getting calls from everyone. Everybody's trying to talk to him, but no, I haven't talked to him."

Rose is just glad he doesn't have to endure what the New Orleans Hornets' Chris Paul and Howard are currently experiencing.

"To each their own," he said. "There's nothing I can say about that. I'm happy I'm not going through that right now. I can only imagine what they're going through. Right now, I'm just trying to worry about the Bulls."

Nick Friedell covers the Bulls for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN 1000.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
After seeing how the superteams got hatched exactly by guys getting together and recruiting other players? Why wouldn't you?

I know it's taboo around these parts to even insinuate D-rose is anything but perfect. But maybe he simply doesn't want to play with another superstar?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
Name 1 of those guys who came out of doing so looking like a decent human being.

And when the NBA starts awarding the "Decent Human Being" award at the end of the season, I might care.

This is it. This is how the game is played today. If Derrick doesn't want to play the game, the Bulls will never win anything, and there is no real point at having him on this team, no matter how much he wants to be here. And it isn't like we are talking about something like child molesting, point shaving, or something else illegal or immoral. Trying to get someone to work at the same job you are isn't some crime. Sure you don't need to go to LeBron lengths after it is done, but unless you want to get left behind, you have to acknowledge what the playing field is today.

I'm with ss2k5. We know that rose is very shy, but I think what's harder for him to do is do this in a way that he doesn't feel like he's selling out his teammates. I think he needs noah to be the voice of the team for him, and Rose has to implicitly know that recruiting Howard means losing one of his best friends. Howard, paul, melo, they didn't really have that aspect of a young team all coming up together.

Getting pissed at Derrick Rose for not recruiting is just silly. The kid is all about working hard and being the best. I know he's not on that level, but do you believe Jordan would have recruited players? s*** no.

Recruiting is not part of Rose. If players want to come try to win a championship, he will receive them with open arms, but begging an enemy (and trust me, this is how D-Rose views these guys, especially a guy he's had run-ins with in the past on the court) to come play with him isn't in his blood.

Everything that has made D-Rose so great so quickly is that he has that MJ-esque competitive nature. I'd rather have Rose than some joker like LeBron or Howard who care more about sandy beaches than about winning.

Also, Derrick Rose is not shy. Someone said that. That is not the case. He's young, and really came into his own with the media starting at media day last year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
i think Rose already knows Howards position, and I think he already knew Lebrons position too. Why waste the breath when he knew those guys are going to go where they want

Rose also spent no time trying to convince anyone to come here. IIRC Wade started after LeBron at the 2008 Olympics.

Today's game is all about ego. How are you going to sell someone to come here? Play to that ego. No play? No second superstar, no title. Apparently Rose is OK with that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
And when the NBA starts awarding the "Decent Human Being" award at the end of the season, I might care.

This is it. This is how the game is played today. If Derrick doesn't want to play the game, the Bulls will never win anything, and there is no real point at having him on this team, no matter how much he wants to be here. And it isn't like we are talking about something like child molesting, point shaving, or something else illegal or immoral. Trying to get someone to work at the same job you are isn't some crime. Sure you don't need to go to LeBron lengths after it is done, but unless you want to get left behind, you have to acknowledge what the playing field is today.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the team that won the championship last year had one superstar player right?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Getting pissed at Derrick Rose for not recruiting is just silly. The kid is all about working hard and being the best. I know he's not on that level, but do you believe Jordan would have recruited players? s*** no.

Recruiting is not part of Rose. If players want to come try to win a championship, he will receive them with open arms, but begging an enemy (and trust me, this is how D-Rose views these guys, especially a guy he's had run-ins with in the past on the court) to come play with him isn't in his blood.

Everything that has made D-Rose so great so quickly is that he has that MJ-esque competitive nature. I'd rather have Rose than some joker like LeBron or Howard who care more about sandy beaches than about winning.

Also, Derrick Rose is not shy. Someone said that. That is not the case. He's young, and really came into his own with the media starting at media day last year.

Rose is not in Jordan's league. He will never be able to win a title without a lot of help, especially because the game has changed when it comes to personnel movement today. It isn't the 90's anymore.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
Rose also spent no time trying to convince anyone to come here. IIRC Wade started after LeBron at the 2008 Olympics.

Today's game is all about ego. How are you going to sell someone to come here? Play to that ego. No play? No second superstar, no title. Apparently Rose is OK with that.

Really, this is all conjecture. We dont know what happens behind the scenes