NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 07:33 AM)
Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong, but I'm still not under the impression that Crawford is all that reliable in creating his own shot either, I thought the motivation for him would be that hes' probably a better outside shooter than Hamilton (or certainly more willing to take the outside shot even if it's not advisable). I don't think of Jamal Crawford breaking down a defense on the dribble and then passing away the ball.

Crawford can create his own shot 1-on-1. He's not a good distributor. Like you said, part of the argument is that Crawford is a better outside shooter than RIP, but also, with Crawford, Rose could take plays off and the Bulls would still be able to score.

Am I the only one here who wanted no part of Crawford?He's an inefficient ball hogging chucker with horrific shot selection and couldn't defend my grandmother, at least Rip shoots within the offense, he won't take stupid shots like JC and Rip played with those stingy Pistons defense, he's aware of the concept of playing D, same can't be said of Crawford.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
Am I the only one here who wanted no part of Crawford?He's an inefficient ball hogging chucker with horrific shot selection and couldn't defend my grandmother, at least Rip shoots within the offense, he won't take stupid shots like JC and Rip played with those stingy Pistons defense, he's aware of the concept of playing D, same can't be said of Crawford.

This is kinda my feeling too...although some people say that Crawford has gotten better in that regard over the last couple years.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)
I think some people just base what they say a whole lot more on what they read as opposed to actually watching the games...

Yeah, I hated JC when he was with the Bulls and I literally laughed out loud at his shot selection vs the Bulls in the playoffs last season.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:40 AM)

That's how I feel about it.

On this Bulls team, with the type of system they play, which concentrates first on defense, Hamilton is a better fit. For me it isn't even close. Maybe in a Heat type of system, Crawford would be a choice, but as long as Thibs is here, Crawford is a bad fit.

This whole piece is a good read, but here's some bits relevant to the current discussion.

The Bulls did not have a shooting guard who was dependable on both ends of the floor last season. Brewer is a fierce defender and fine cutter on offense, but he can’t shoot. Having two players on the court (Brewer and a center, whether it’s Joakim Noah or Omer Asik) who lack range can squeeze any offense to death. Chicago scored nearly seven fewer points per 100 possessions with Brewer on the floor last season, and while you can’t pin that all on him given the teammates he most often played alongside, he didn’t help.

Korver might be the best pure shooter in the league. But coach Tom Thibodeau did not trust his defense, and the Bulls worked to hide him on an opponent’s least-threatening player. Bogans can shoot stand-still jumpers and defend, but he is perhaps the most static offensive player in the NBA. He can’t catch-and-shoot off screens like Korver and Hamilton, and he’s not a cutter like Brewer. And even at this one offensive skill — three-point shooting — Bogans checks in at about the league average (35.5 percent for his career, after making 38 percent last season).

So the Bulls have taken a flier on someone who might be able to combine Korver’s catch-and-shoot skills with respectable defense, solid passing skills, an off-the-dribble game he can use in a pinch and (against the right opponents) an ability to back up the poor, overworked Luol Deng at small forward.

It’s possible that Hamilton’s off-the-bounce game, if used selectively, could create openings that don’t currently exist in Chicago’s offense. It’s also possible that Hamilton makes no difference at all. As Alvarez notes, all of Hamilton’s numbers are trending down, and his preference for mid-ranges shots over three-pointers might create spacing issues that torpedo a lot of possible openings before they happen.

But if Hamilton helps on offense while holding his own on defense, he could provide a small nudge to a team that doesn’t need much more to chase a title. And it’s not as if the Bulls had their pick of everyone on the market. The best shooting guard options — including Arron Afflalo and Jason Richardson, — were restricted free agents and/or out of Chicago’s price range. The Bulls are over the cap, and thus can only offer the full mid-level exception, worth $5 million per season. It looks now as if they could have made a run at Jamal Crawford for that, but he’s a combo guard who loves to shoot, has trouble on defense and can’t spell Deng. A true small forward could have helped, but the best of those have also fallen above Chicago’s price point, and you still need someone to log minutes at shooting guard.

My dream addition to tbe Bulls is Iguodala (I know, it's a reach), he can handle the ball, create for himself and others, has nice size and is a shutdown defender.If we can get him, the Bulls beat Miami.

Is there a possibility of getting him at the trade deadline?Hopefully Philly is out of playoff contention and they put Iggy on the trading block :pray

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 11:00 AM)
My dream addition to tbe Bulls is Iguodala (I know, it's a reach), he can handle the ball, create for himself and others, has nice size and is a shutdown defender.If we can get him, the Bulls beat Miami.

Is there a possibility of getting him at the trade deadline?Hopefully Philly is out of playoff contention and they put Iggy on the trading block :pray

At this point I would let that dream go

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)

Basically, the Bulls would have to give up either Deng, Boozer, or Noah to make the contracts work, then they'd have to give Philly enough for Philly to want the deal to happen. 1st round picks aren't a huge score since the Bulls are at the end of the draft, and neither is the guy from Europe they drafted this year, so they don't have a whole lot of sweeteners, and all 3 of those contracts have several more years on them.

A former N.B.A. security official says that he repeatedly warned his superiors that women in the office were being sexually harassed or discriminated against, but that his concerns were ignored and that he was ultimately fired for his actions on the women’s behalf. He is suing the league for lost wages and damages.

Warren Glover, 50, was fired as a security director in July, after 10 years with the N.B.A., despite a glowing performance record for most of his tenure, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday morning in New York State Supreme Court. In the suit, Glover accuses senior N.B.A. security officials of creating a “hostile work environment” in which he was “demeaned,” “treated differently from other employees” and denied promotions because of his willingness to speak out.

Link