NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 02:17 AM)
I don't think the Wolves will be good this year by any means, but they're at least moving in the right direction. Rubio is more suited for the NBA game than the euro game, and he's got plenty of athletes to take advantage of.

The Wolves are interesting. They keep acquiring talent, but I still don't see all the pieces fitting together to make any sort of contender. Keeping Love this upcoming offseason will be huge, as he's pretty awesome. They need to, at some point, combine some of these assets for a big-time player if/when one hits the market, and pray said dude wants to extend in Minnesota (no small feat for any team not in LA/Miami, apparently).

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
The Wolves are interesting. They keep acquiring talent, but I still don't see all the pieces fitting together to make any sort of contender. Keeping Love this upcoming offseason will be huge, as he's pretty awesome. They need to, at some point, combine some of these assets for a big-time player if/when one hits the market, and pray said dude wants to extend in Minnesota (no small feat for any team not in LA/Miami, apparently).

They're in desperate need for a defender/playmaker at the 2 and an athletic big in the front court to put alongside Love. Of course, getting either of those things is much easier said than done, so they've still got a long way to go.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 18, 2011 -> 02:17 AM)
I don't think the Wolves will be good this year by any means, but they're at least moving in the right direction. Rubio is more suited for the NBA game than the euro game, and he's got plenty of athletes to take advantage of.

They just signed Bonzi Wells for gods sake.

After watching the Clippers Lakers tonight, does anyone feel that Billups would be a better fit at SG for the Bulls than Hamilton if the Bulls had a shot at him? To start off, he is a very efficient player and scorer, no matter what his FG% suggests because he only takes smart shots. He is still an ace three point shooter, Rip is not. I believe he shot 39% from the arc since joining Detroit. Second, he can handle a lot better than Rip, and can create for himself. He can sometimes play the point and let Derrick play off guard and go off. Also, he is big and strong for a PG, at this stage of his career, he is better at checking 2s than 1s. If the Bulls' biggest roadblock is Miami, then Billups can check Wade better than Rip can. Lastly, Billups was the Final MVP and Mr. Big Shot, if it comes down to the last shot, we would have another option other than Derrick to go to. Overall, I just think Billups compliment Derrick very well in this starting lineup.

If the Bulls only had a shot at Big Shot.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 19, 2011 -> 11:46 PM)
After watching the Clippers Lakers tonight, does anyone feel that Billups would be a better fit at SG for the Bulls than Hamilton if the Bulls had a shot at him? To start off, he is a very efficient player and scorer, no matter what his FG% suggests because he only takes smart shots. He is still an ace three point shooter, Rip is not. I believe he shot 39% from the arc since joining Detroit. Second, he can handle a lot better than Rip, and can create for himself. He can sometimes play the point and let Derrick play off guard and go off. Also, he is big and strong for a PG, at this stage of his career, he is better at checking 2s than 1s. If the Bulls' biggest roadblock is Miami, then Billups can check Wade better than Rip can. Lastly, Billups was the Final MVP and Mr. Big Shot, if it comes down to the last shot, we would have another option other than Derrick to go to. Overall, I just think Billups compliment Derrick very well in this starting lineup.

If the Bulls only had a shot at Big Shot.

This is interesting. That game last night was crazy. One thing I learned was that Chauncey still has something left in the tank. That steal - run the court - pass off the backboard to Blake was nuts. How crazy is it that Blake Griffin went from having Mo Williams and Eric Bledsoe tossing him the ball to f***ing Chauncey Billups and Chris Paul? CP3 also had a great lob to DeAndre Jordan for an alley oop dunk.

The Clippers are must-see TV this year.

And yeah, I think Chauncey can shoot better, run better, and obviously pass much better than Rip. I wonder what the Bulls would have had to bid (perhaps the $5 million they bid on Rip?).

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
This is interesting. That game last night was crazy. One thing I learned was that Chauncey still has something left in the tank. That steal - run the court - pass off the backboard to Blake was nuts. How crazy is it that Blake Griffin went from having Mo Williams and Eric Bledsoe tossing him the ball to f***ing Chauncey Billups and Chris Paul? CP3 also had a great lob to DeAndre Jordan for an alley oop dunk.

And yeah, I think Chauncey can shoot better, run better, and obviously pass much better than Rip. I wonder what the Bulls would have had to bid (perhaps the $5 million they bid on Rip?).

Was it a matter of outbidding someone else? Or a waiver order? I thought the Bulls really had no chance because the Clips were way in front of them in the waiver order

And im pretty sure Rip cleared waivers, so there was no bid, he just signed a FA contract

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
Was it a matter of outbidding someone else? Or a waiver order? I thought the Bulls really had no chance because the Clips were way in front of them in the waiver order

And im pretty sure Rip cleared waivers, so there was no bid, he just signed a FA contract

No if the bulls bid more money they could have had him.

Since the Bulls didn't have cap space when Billups was amnestied, I believe they did not get a bid. That was the big thing around Roy: if he hadn't retired and had been amnestied the Bulls wouldn't have had a shot since teams with cap space take priority in the bidding. Same goes for Billups.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)

You're getting the two points mixed up. Rip cleared, yes, but Chauncey did not. I was curious how much the winning bid on Chauncey was, but it appears we didn't get a bid regardless, of which I was unaware.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)

Absolutely. I already have tickets for when they come to Atlanta. Blake Griffin is my favorite non-Bulls player and with CP3 now dishing to him, I expect even more insane highlights. Can't wait.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)

They didn't use ther amnesty tag on Rip, they just bought him out and waived him.