NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)

this leads me to believe the Nets have little chance this time, because if this is true there's no way the NBA could let a part owner and FA flaunt their rules like this, if he ends up agreeing with the Nets other teams go insane. Yes, I do agree with the post that tampering is happening, I mean the stuff about WWW and Thibadu with the Bulls and reports about Riley talking to James people, but I also agree with the post that said the NBA doesn't want it out in public

I have this sinking feeling he'll select Miami, and we'll learn afterward in the ESPN documentary, entitled "The Summer of Lebron," that we were never in the discussion. It was just between Miami and Cleveland. I just believe that having to constantly hear the Jordan comparisons (more than usual) is one factor, ego related, that he would never get over. "Having Wade and Bosh as teammates, in a city starving for basketball tradition, was an opportunity I couldn't pass up," he'll say. Additionally, he'll admit to puposely leaking rumors and laughing at all the reactions.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
Videoconference?

Not the way the story is being reported. They said very clearly it was a meeting in Miami.

On a side note: as far as I have read, ONLY the guys from ESPN have reported that the three met. I dont think I've read it anywhere else. Steven A Smith said they were going to play for Miami, but didn't say they've met. If there was a meeting, I think it would be more widely known than just two guys from ESPN (a network with a lot to gain by drumming up hype on all this).

I was listening to the score on the way home and Bernstein said something that got me thinking and let me try to flesh this out a bit.

A sports ride at Yahoo Sports really believes that LeBron want to make this free agency period about him. He wants to own the NBA. He wants to be the man. He's "power hungry". As a result, Bernsie seems to think LeBron wants to really make huge noise about himself in July.

Here's my thought: When it was leaked by WWW that LeBron and Bosh were headed to Chicago, LeBron couldnt make it seem to be a lock, even if it is. So, he "planted" a meeting with Bosh and Wade and that story included a part about how he was "un-committed" to Miami, but it was a front runner. Why? Smoke screen and more attention. It draws away room the Chicago rumors, opens up another market as potential. I think by Friday another team will be a "lock" to get LeBron (NY or NJ).

And notice who wont be at all the meetings on Thursday? World Wide Wes. Ya know, they guy who said LeBron was a lock for Chicago.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

What's strange here is the most important team in the Lebron sweepstakes is whatever dumbass GM decides to trade for Beasley, thus opening up the necessay cap space for Miami to sign three max deals. Some team out there has to ask themself whether they'd rather play against Wade/Bosh/Lebron/scrubs or Lebron and the Bulls, all the while knowing Beasley doesn't help you for s*** in the first scenario.

World Wide Wes supposedly was Stephan A Smith's source. I don't know who the fools at ESPN were listening to. We know Wade was in Chicago Friday and Saturday and Sunday evening the Miami Herald talked to him at O'Hare. We know Lebron was in NY Thursday and Friday. Why would they fly down to Miami to have a meeting? It makes no sense, and in the day and age everyone is basically carrying a camera no photos? They may have had a "summit", but it certainly wasn't in Miami this past weekend. At least one of the fanbases from Miami, NY or Chicago is going to be majorly dissappointed. I doubt it will be the Bulls fanbase.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
World Wide Wes supposedly was Stephan A Smith's source. I don't know who the fools at ESPN were listening to. We know Wade was in Chicago Friday and Saturday and Sunday evening the Miami Herald talked to him at O'Hare. We know Lebron was in NY Thursday and Friday. Why would they fly down to Miami to have a meeting? It makes no sense, and in the day and age everyone is basically carrying a camera no photos? They may have had a "summit", but it certainly wasn't in Miami this past weekend. At least one of the fanbases from Miami, NY or Chicago is going to be majorly dissappointed. I doubt it will be the Bulls fanbase.

so is wes just spewing BS then...he has been saying he thinks its chicago the entire time....

all i know is we really can't trust anything out there right now, but the bulls have to be pretty damn attractive, and I really like the fact that the bulls are going to meet with Bosh first......I think he's a huge key...if you can go into your meeting with Lebron saying we got 1.) rose 2/3) open for you 2/3.) deng 4.) Bosh 5.) Noah...i dont think lebron can possibly even think about another team

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
World Wide Wes supposedly was Stephan A Smith's source.

Where did you read/hear this?

If true, then it absolutely leads credence to my theory that they are just playing with the media to make July the month of LeBron.

To the guys that are posting/discussing the SBdotCom lines are you actually members there?

If so, what is the max play allowed on this line?

Often times these "non traditional prop bets" have a small $100 or $200 max bet and a book will put up wacky lines to entice people to sign up with the site just so they can bet this line.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
Where did you read/hear this?

If true, then it absolutely leads credence to my theory that they are just playing with the media to make July the month of LeBron.

Sam Smith. It leads me to believe Lebron will eventually go back to Cleveland. They are making it look like he has great opportunities elsewhere but he comes back to Cleveland for more cash smelling like a rose, and makes a much to do about nothing situation into a circus.

I still think the Bulls will get 2 players though.

Edited by Dick Allen

I REALLY hope we don't give Joe Johnson a max deal.

ANyone watch the Free AGency Summit at 6:30 on ESPN with Wilbon, Simmons, Korn, and Lebatard? I DVR'd cuz of softball.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
I REALLY hope we don't give Joe Johnson a max deal.

ANyone watch the Free AGency Summit at 6:30 on ESPN with Wilbon, Simmons, Korn, and Lebatard? I DVR'd cuz of softball.

Don't waste your time. The show was a joke. It was just a bunch of guesses and their personal reasoning for why they believe each guy will end up where. Nothing of any substance at all.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Don't waste your time. The show was a joke. It was just a bunch of guesses and their personal reasoning for why they believe each guy will end up where. Nothing of any substance at all.

I'll probably watch it tomorrow when nothing is on. I think Simmons is pretty smart when it comes to the NBA.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
That's fine. I'm just saying don't expect to know anything more than you do now after watching.

I don't doubt you are wrong though. Kornheiser doesn't bring much credibility, IMO.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
I've began to love Bill Simmons the past year or so and its funny because I hate Boston sports.

He is a realistic Boston fan. He was hilarious ripping the Celtics at the end of the regular season.