NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:39 PM)
I've began to love Bill Simmons the past year or so and its funny because I hate Boston sports.

Simmons is a brilliant writer when he puts effort into it, which he often (but not always) does.

Doomsday is approaching, less than 24 hours until all rules are off (other than the salary cap of course). I just want to see what happens already, but I have a feeling we might still be waiting a while.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
LeBron's going to meet with teams over 3 days, so nothing much will happen until then.

I'm thinking he'll make a "verbal commitment" by the end of the weekend. He doesn't really need to do anything until the 8th though since that's the earliest he can sign.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Don't waste your time. The show was a joke. It was just a bunch of guesses and their personal reasoning for why they believe each guy will end up where. Nothing of any substance at all.

Just watched it an I actually enjoyed it. It was refreshing for once to not hear people claiming they know because of their sources but just 4 guys talking it over and coming up with predictions as to what is going to happen.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
Just watched it an I actually enjoyed it. It was refreshing for once to not hear people claiming they know because of their sources but just 4 guys talking it over and coming up with predictions as to what is going to happen.

But is that really worth a show? I mean me, you and two other posters from this site can sit around a table and do the same thing. They don't know anything more than anybody else.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)
But is that really worth a show? I mean me, you and two other posters from this site can sit around a table and do the same thing. They don't know anything more than anybody else.

True but PTI has been on for 10 years now and it's essentially the same thing just with 2 guys.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
Paul Pierce is opting out of Boston

There are also very strong rumors that Doc Rivers is indeed retiring. Add that to Ray Allen being a FA, the big three could be no more (though I still think Pierce and Allen will re-sign) and I would love to see how Rondo now deals with being pretty much exposed.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
LeBron's going to meet with teams over 3 days, so nothing much will happen until then.

it will be fun/anxious times, after every meeting there will be some source saying he promised team X he was signing with them he will just meet with the other teams as a courtesy

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
I REALLY hope we don't give Joe Johnson a max deal.

Supposedly the Hawks are prepared to offer him a max deal at the start of FA according to a report in NYC the other day, which surprised me because they've given every indication that they're cost-cutting.

I won't be mad if we give Joe Johnson a Max deal, but only if he's the 2nd option Max deal. If you sign Bosh or Lebron and also wind up with Johnson, then I don't really care about Johnson being overpaid, because all he is to me is a luxury tax payment.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 03:36 AM)
There are also very strong rumors that Doc Rivers is indeed retiring. Add that to Ray Allen being a FA, the big three could be no more (though I still think Pierce and Allen will re-sign) and I would love to see how Rondo now deals with being pretty much exposed.

So, if Rivers is gone and Rasheed is gone and you're Boston, how do you deal with this offseason? Is it legit "Throw in the towel and rebuild" time, at which point you let Pierce walk, or do you dump a lot of money into trying to hold it together for one more year.

In their position, I probably say that their run is over and go for the rebuild, but I don't have a franchise's finances to manage.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:06 AM)
So, if Rivers is gone and Rasheed is gone and you're Boston, how do you deal with this offseason? Is it legit "Throw in the towel and rebuild" time, at which point you let Pierce walk, or do you dump a lot of money into trying to hold it together for one more year.

In their position, I probably say that their run is over and go for the rebuild, but I don't have a franchise's finances to manage.

yeah, that's a tough call, because in the next 1-2 weeks it's a real possibility that outside of 2-3 teams in the east, rebuilding is going to take about 5 years due to the FA shakeup that is about to happen, hopefully the Bulls are in the 2-3 teams!

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
yeah, that's a tough call, because in the next 1-2 weeks it's a real possibility that outside of 2-3 teams in the east, rebuilding is going to take about 5 years due to the FA shakeup that is about to happen, hopefully the Bulls are in the 2-3 teams!

The other thing to remember is the lockout, and I'm sure if I were running the Celtics I'd have revenue/cost projections that included the worst case scenario of no 2011 season. That could be a good time to rebuild anyway since you'd be killing your fan base and potentially get 2 drafts without having to pay contracts, or it could be a double-blow that you'd really struggle to recover from.

Nuggets could trade Melo

Carmelo Anthony(notes) has one more year left on his contract with the Denver Nuggets before he can opt out of it and become an unrestricted free agent. The Nuggets are feeling like he may do just that and the team "is prepared to trade Melo rather than let him walk" next summer, according to a source for the Denver Post.

Anthony will make $17 million this season and the Nuggets have been trying to get him to sign on for a $65 million extension that would have him in Denver through 2015, the Post reports. If Anthony says no to that offer, which is on the table right now, the Post reports that the team could consider talking trade.

Anthony averaged 28.2 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 3.2 assists per game last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Ca...?urn=nba,252494

Poor Knicks, they wouldn't have the ammo over say, the Nets, to trade for Melo.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)

It is to me, because I find three of those commentators entirely enjoyable. I loved it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
This thread is like cocaine.

DrRockso.jpg

Also, posted this in the NBA thread:

Carmelo Anthony(notes) has one more year left on his contract with the Denver Nuggets before he can opt out of it and become an unrestricted free agent. The Nuggets are feeling like he may do just that and the team "is prepared to trade Melo rather than let him walk" next summer, according to a source for the Denver Post.

Anthony will make $17 million this season and the Nuggets have been trying to get him to sign on for a $65 million extension that would have him in Denver through 2015, the Post reports. If Anthony says no to that offer, which is on the table right now, the Post reports that the team could consider talking trade.

Anthony averaged 28.2 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 3.2 assists per game last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Ca...?urn=nba,252494

Landscape changes dramatically in FA if that happens.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
The ESPN Summitt would of been better with just Wilbon and Simmons. Kornheiser just interrupted everyone and Lebatard was a huge Miami homer. At least Wilbon is an unbiased Chicago guy.

Wilbon's probably my favorite ESPN guy. Always solid, not a screamer or smarmy a-hole, only shows his Chicago fandom when appropriate, and never makes me feel dumber for watching him.