NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
Per Dan Lebatard Twitter:

I am now a tad concerned.

Dan LeBatard is an idiot most of the time, but that is a tad bit concerning.

Also, if thats the deal, unless LeBron/Bosh/Wade are going to play 48 minutes a game, they are screwed.

However, if Bosh is truly going to Miami...go hard after Dirk (not to a max obviously), perhaps bring Salmons back as SG, and use that to entice LeBron.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
Yeah ive had a pretty uneasy feeling since people said the Bulls were the favorite.

They were only the favorites in the world of theory. The overexcitement people had over LeBron potentially coming here was always over the top, even if they actually still get him (and I think a Bosh sign and trade to Miami, it could easily be argued, would help their chances).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
If that happens, it isn't a huge deal. It pretty much means Lebron is going to go to Chicago or Cleveland. The Bulls just need to look at Amare or Johnson to join LBJ and sell him on that, imo.

Well it kills the idea of Bosh coming here, which sucks. But I am with you that if it happens, it kills LeBron to Miami. I also think this might actually help the chances of him coming here if it's true. Are you going to beat Bosh and Wade in Cleveland? New York? New Jersey? How about in Chicago with Rose, Noah, and probably another pretty big name free agent?

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
Why cant Lebron go to Miami?

I thought if the Heat found a way to shed more salary (ie trading Beasley) they would have room for all 3.

Not that I know a ton about the NBA, but it seems as though Bosh is signing his Bird's right max contract in Toronto, thus making it more expensive. Miami will also then sign Wade to the same type of contract, and there will not be room for a 3rd max contract for LeBron.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
Why cant Lebron go to Miami?

I thought if the Heat found a way to shed more salary (ie trading Beasley) they would have room for all 3.

A Bosh sign and trade means he gets the extra 30 something million since he's technically signing at first with Toronto. That'd make it hard to afford all 3 of them since two would be true max deals. And even if they could (and I don't think they could), they'd almost literally have no money for anybody else.

I think a Bosh sign and trade to Miami helps the Bulls chances. But it puts them 100 percent, all in on one guy. If they don't get that guy, they're doomed to mediocrity (or worse) for a very long time.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Okay then this isnt the worst case scenario. It takes Miami out of the running for Lebron (arguably the more important piece to the puzzle). The question would be what to do with the rest of the money?

Amare would be a nice consolation prize. Would there be any possibility of a trade for Melo? Not even sure hed fit, but Melo, Lebron, Rose would be quite a trifecta.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:44 AM)
A Bosh sign and trade means he gets the extra 30 something million since he's technically signing at first with Toronto. That'd make it hard to afford all 3 of them since two would be true max deals. And even if they could (and I don't think they could), they'd almost literally have no money for anybody else.

I think a Bosh sign and trade to Miami helps the Bulls chances. But it puts them 100 percent, all in on one guy. If they don't get that guy, they're doomed to mediocrity (or worse) for a very long time.

A Bosh sign and trade with Beasley involved is just about the only way Miami could afford 3 max deal guys. If Miami could also shed Anthony and Chalmers as well, it could clearly be enough room for 3 max guys. However, the entire rest of the roster would be filled out with the 4 second round picks this year and veteran minimum guys wanting a championship shot. Keyon Dooling and Raja Bell are rumored to be two of those guys.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
But, but, but LeBron would never ever play with Wade.

I'm sure he'll go there to be the 3rd highest paid player on the team, and maybe even have to take even less than the max he could take somewhere other than Cleveland. Good luck filling out the rest of that team too. As good as LeBron, Bosh, and Wade are, they can't even win a ring with literally a bunch of minimum salary guys around them. And i'm still not sure that works capwise.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:35 AM)
Well it kills the idea of Bosh coming here, which sucks. But I am with you that if it happens, it kills LeBron to Miami. I also think this might actually help the chances of him coming here if it's true. Are you going to beat Bosh and Wade in Cleveland? New York? New Jersey? How about in Chicago with Rose, Noah, and probably another pretty big name free agent?

I don't think Bosh/Wade is all that good. THey won't have anyone else and it will take a year or two at the very least until they have decent enough role players (hell, decent enough 3 other starters).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
Okay then this isnt the worst case scenario. It takes Miami out of the running for Lebron (arguably the more important piece to the puzzle). The question would be what to do with the rest of the money?

Amare would be a nice consolation prize. Would there be any possibility of a trade for Melo? Not even sure hed fit, but Melo, Lebron, Rose would be quite a trifecta.

The bad part is, it means if LBJ stays in Cleveland the Bulls won't get Bosh. And that would be a decent size downgrade from Amare/Boozer/Lee/Johnson/Gay.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
Well, I don't care all that much about Bosh, LeBron is the prize, I just hope this doesn't make him go to Miami.

This. I would take Amare in a heart beat if Bosh does end up in Miami. Noah would make up for Amare's lack of defense down low.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:52 AM)
I'm sure he'll go there to be the 3rd highest paid player on the team, and maybe even have to take even less than the max he could take somewhere other than Cleveland. Good luck filling out the rest of that team too. As good as LeBron, Bosh, and Wade are, they can't even win a ring with literally a bunch of minimum salary guys around them. And i'm still not sure that works capwise.

Wade and Bosh wouldn't be paid any more than LeBron. It's just that Wade and Bosh would have a 6th year on the contract worth about 30M potentially. Not being tied down for 6 years might be an attractive thing for LeBron. Who knows. It's still a long ass time until July 8th.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)
But, but, but LeBron would never ever play with Wade.

He won't.

I actually meant to type "stay in Cleveland" but I'm clearly all over the place. My mind cannot compute this madness.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
Yeah, you're in big trouble if you don't get Bosh or LeBron.

Not specifically, could still sign Boozer/Amare at PF and Joe Johnson at SG and we have a pretty solid team. Those 2 would even allow us to make a 3rd move.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
Nuggets could trade Melo

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Ca...?urn=nba,252494

Poor Knicks, they wouldn't have the ammo over say, the Nets, to trade for Melo.

Wonder if the Nuggets would have any interest in something around Gortat, VC + something.

All I know is that the Magic are definitely going to be involved in a big trade soon and those are the 2 likely pieces that will be going.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
Not specifically, could still sign Boozer/Amare at PF and Joe Johnson at SG and we have a pretty solid team. Those 2 would even allow us to make a 3rd move.

You're not winning any championships with that team. You'd need a big 3rd move.