NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
I'd give up Noah in a heartbeat for Carmelo. I've really grown to like him, but it's a lot easier to find a rebounder/defender than a 30 point scorer on the wing.

If you give up Noah in a Carmelo deal, the big problem I see is that you're still a middle-seed in the conference at best until you can find someone else to help you out. You've got 2 very good frontline players but you're weak at 3 positions, and since your 2 frontline players are or will be max deals and will probably be even more painful under the next CBA, the ability to fill any other hole depends on you either getting really lucky in the late first/2nd round (i.e. Rondo-style) or having another team help you out (Gasol-style).

Bosh and Wade together is the same problem.

The thing that really helps the Bulls right now in avoiding that problem is that 2 of their starters are still on cheap rookie contracts and they have potentially 2 other guys (Gibson, Johnson) who are at the very worst solid backups who are also on rookie contracts.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
If you give up Noah in a Carmelo deal, the big problem I see is that you're still a middle-seed in the conference at best until you can find someone else to help you out. You've got 2 very good frontline players but you're weak at 3 positions, and since your 2 frontline players are or will be max deals and will probably be even more painful under the next CBA, the ability to fill any other hole depends on you either getting really lucky in the late first/2nd round (i.e. Rondo-style) or having another team help you out (Gasol-style).

I think Rose + LBJ + Carmello would make up for any low post missed from Noah.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
Wonder if the Nuggets would have any interest in something around Gortat, VC + something

I can't imagine what kind of hypnosis it would take to convince a team that taking on VC is a good rebuilding plan.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
I'd give up Noah in a heartbeat for Carmelo. I've really grown to like him, but it's a lot easier to find a rebounder/defender than a 30 point scorer on the wing.

Ditto. I LOVE Noah, love him... but he is getting very overrated by some Bulls fans out there.

Toronto has financial reasons to let Bosh walk (no sign and trade) -

Chris Ford - If Bosh leaves for nothing, Raps will have $7.9 mil in cap space. If they sign-and-trade for Beasley & Chalmers, they'll stay over the cap

Additionally-

FWIW, I'm skeptical Bron would join Wade & Bosh in Miami. Think Bulls still have best shot if they could pair 'Bron with Dirk

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Ditto. I LOVE Noah, love him... but he is getting very overrated by some Bulls fans out there.

I don't think people appreciate his defense and presence in the post, which are key to a championship. See Lakers/Boston 2010 NBA Finals

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
I don't think people appreciate his defense and presence in the post, which are key to a championship. See Lakers/Boston 2010 NBA Finals

I appreciate it, and it would be hard to find another guy like him. But it's even harder to find a guy like Carmelo Anthony.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I thought I would throw this out there, who are the people on Twitter to follow to track LBJ and Bosh?

So far I have

• Marc Stein (@STEIN_LINE_HQ)
  • Chad Ford (@chadfordinsider)
  • Jalen Rose (@jalenrose)
  • Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard)
  • Send LeBron to Chicago (@LeBrontoChicago)
  • Zach Zaidman?? (@ZachZaidman)
  • K.C. Johnson (@kcjhoop)
  • Sam Smith (@SamSmithHoops)
  • Jason Goff (@jgoff670)
  • ESPN 1000 (@ESPN1000)
  • Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojyahoonba)
  • David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt)
  • Chris Sheridan (@CSheridanESPN)
  • Chris Ballard (@SI_ChrisBallard)
  • Ken Berger (@KBerg_CBS)
  • Dwyane Wade (@dwadeofficial)
  • Bill Simmons (@sportsguy33)
  • Dan LeBatard (@LeBatardShow)
  • Cleveland Plain Dealer (@clevelanddotcom)
  • Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat)

I have aggregated all of these accounts to LeBron Watch.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
I thought I would throw this out there, who are the people on Twitter to follow to track LBJ and Bosh?

So far I have

• Marc Stein (@STEIN_LINE_HQ)
  • Chad Ford (@chadfordinsider)
  • Jalen Rose (@jalenrose)
  • Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard)
  • Send LeBron to Chicago (@LeBrontoChicago)
  • Zach Zaidman?? (@ZachZaidman)
  • K.C. Johnson (@kcjhoop)
  • Sam Smith (@SamSmithHoops)
  • Jason Goff (@jgoff670)
  • ESPN 1000 (@ESPN1000)
  • Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojyahoonba)
  • David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt)
  • Chris Sheridan (@CSheridanESPN)
  • Chris Ballard (@SI_ChrisBallard)
  • Ken Berger (@KBerg_CBS)
  • Dwyane Wade (@dwadeofficial)

I have aggregated all of these accounts to LeBron Watch.

You are an animal, AHB!

I commend your obsessive behavior!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
This thread is like cocaine.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
He won't.

I actually meant to type "stay in Cleveland" but I'm clearly all over the place. My mind cannot compute this madness.

Two thoughts I'll add.

-Noah is pretty damn important if you intend to have a championship caliber team. Let's say hypothetically that you trade him and Deng for Anthony and sign Joe Johnson or Carlos Boozer. Your frontcourt defense is now a major issue with Gibson and some combination of Boozer, Asik and maybe Brad Miller coming back.

Who the hell is going to slow down Dwight Howard? What kind of chance do they have to beat the Lakers in a 7-game series when Gasol, Bynum and Odom are gang-raping you down low? Who the heck is going to keep up with Bosh on pick-and-rolls, especially after Gibson gets in foul trouble? Forget the elite kind of guys, aren't the days where someone like Mikki Moore hangs 13-11 on us fairly likely to come back?

-I find the people claiming that Miami can't win with Wade, Bosh and a collection of role players fairly funny. The Heat just won 43 and 47 games the last two years with JUST Wade and a collection of role players. How much are they really losing with these other players? It sure doesn't look like a whole lot. Here's a list of the non-Wade guys that played at least 20 MPG for the Heat last year:

Michael Beasley

Jermaine O'Neal

Udonis Haslem

Quentin Richardson

Mario Chalmers

Dorrell Wright

Rafer Alston (only for 26 games)

Carlos Arroyo

Is anyone on that list irreplaceable? The most talented player is Beasley, who they're pretty much trying to give away.

I really don't see it being that hard for them to build a 50+ win team around Wade and Bosh, especially when they'll still have a fair amount of cap space with Wade and Bosh only taking up like $35 mil. Just sign a rugged, defense-oriented center like Brendan Haywood (or bring O'Neal and/or Haslem back on the cheap selling him on a shot at a ring) and add a couple of shooters that don't do much else like Randy Foye or Chris Duhon and Rasual Butler (or Ray Allen if the price is right), then you have basically the same roster with Bosh instead of Beasley. That's a pretty decent upgrade.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)
Dirk? No way I could see him leaving Dallas. I refuse to even participate in that pipedream.

He is the darkhorse in this (IMO the best fit for Rose) but I think he would join his buddy Nash first before us, though he likes Rose. With that said, I still think he re-signs in Dallas.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
You could win with Wade, Bosh, and role players. But as good as the top 3 guys would be, I think it'd be a major challenge to win with Wade, Bosh, LeBron, and a bunch of league minimum guys.

It would be a challenge to win playoff series against good teams. Winning 60-65 games should happen somewhat easily though.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 30, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
You could win with Wade, Bosh, and role players. But as good as the top 3 guys would be, I think it'd be a major challenge to win with Wade, Bosh, LeBron, and a bunch of league minimum guys.

They'd be able to fill out the perimeter spots fairly easily since they don't need any ball-handling or shot-creating ability from any of them, just guys that can hit open shots and/or play defense. Size wouldn't be a major issue either, they could add a couple of undersized guys and play them at the point.

Their one real issue would be finding another big man on the cheap, preferrably one that could defend at center and possibly another one that could handle 20 MPG off the bench without being a total scrub. That could obviously be a major one, but then again so is trying to guard three of the top-10 players in the league.

Edited by ZoomSlowik