NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
yeah im just worried about turkoglu's salary....dont know exactly how that'd shake out

If we got 40% 3pt shooting Hedo from a few years back . . . He'd actually wouldn't be a bad fit. But yah, Does Bosh + Turkoglu - Deng and Co. = enough money to still sign LeBron?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
THe problem is that you can have all the money in the world, but if there is a cap, you are very limited in what you can do. Mark Cuban is loaded, but he cant just go and make a super team.

Now if he owned the Yankees, then that's a different story.

Limited to the things he can do from a salary perspective, yes.

But not limited to outside ventures, which is the strong suit he brings to the conversation.

If he is tempting Lebron with stories of helping enhance his global brand, open up new markets for him overseas, participate in business opportunities, and help him become a billionaire in the process... then no other owner is going to come close to touching what Prokhorov has to offer.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 01:43 PM)
no, but I think it could only help.

Actually, it would seriously hurt their chances of adding Lebron because they wouldn't have enough cap space left. The math:

Bulls incoming: Bosh (about 17) + Hedo (9.8) = basically 27 mil

Bulls out-going- Deng= 11.355 mil

Bulls total salary addition= $15.45 mil

That would put them at $38.5 mil in total salary, leaving roughly $13.5 mil in space minus some cap holds, or at least $3.1 mil short of max cap space. The only way they'd be able to clear enough space in that scenario would be to move Noah and probably Gibson or Johnson as well.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

In a sign and trade, Bosh would be making more money that Lebron. I can't see him coming to the Bulls and not making the most money. I think a sign and trade is a back up to a Lebron miss.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
A person like LeBron has people come to him. He doesnt need to have connections. Especially if he as a couple championship rings.

exactly, my guess would be that Nike has some pretty kick ass connections globally

if Jordan wasn't the new Bobcats owner, it would be interesting to see him joining the Bulls contingent to pitch to Lebron and other big name free agents. It would be awesome to have the best player in the history of the game luring you to play for his former team.

though I did hear Pippen taking part in this process, but just meeting players directly.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
if Jordan wasn't the new Bobcats owner, it would be interesting to see him joining the Bulls contingent to pitch to Lebron and other big name free agents. It would be awesome to have the best player in the history of the game luring you to play for his former team.

though I did hear Pippen taking part in this process, but just meeting players directly.

And if Jordan actually had something good to say about the bulls.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
@PDcavsinsider - Cavs will meet with LeBron tomorrow at 11 a.m. Chris Grant said. I guess that means Bulls are going last.

Interesting.....

The Bulls being last is very interesting. IMO.

When I heard yesterday that the Cavs were going to be last I thought OH NO they are going to pull that sentimental bulls*** on him at the last minute.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
And if Jordan actually had something good to say about the bulls.

word is that Pippen hated the Bulls too for dismantling the team and trading him to Houston, but sources say he actually have a pretty healthy relationship with the team and is helping out this summer.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
word is that Pippen hated the Bulls too for dismantling the team and trading him to Houston, but sources say he actually have a pretty healthy relationship with the team and is helping out this summer.

He better... he needs the money.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
@PDcavsinsider - Cavs will meet with LeBron tomorrow at 11 a.m. Chris Grant said. I guess that means Bulls are going last.

Interesting.....

what is everyone's take on this.....saving the best for last? i hope he hasnt made his mind up and just has the meeting with cleveland to tell them it's been fun but i gotta move on and then tell the bulls thanks for playing but your too late.....

Krause was such a big issue. Jordan and Phil were both gone. The Bulls needed to do what they had to do. It didnt work like they wanted, but it had to be done. They risked being just average for a very long time. It backfired and they were dreadful for a very long time, but I get why they did it.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
what is everyone's take on this.....saving the best for last? i hope he hasnt made his mind up and just has the meeting with cleveland to tell them it's been fun but i gotta move on and then tell the bulls thanks for playing but your too late.....

Boers and Bernsie had an interesting comment: Reinsdorf is an excellent closer. He gets what he wants. So, if they go last, that's a very good thing.

Michael Jordan, as great a basketball player, is pretty selfish. He basically thought he deserved to be GM of the Bulls when he retired and when they weren't interested in giving him such a high-ranking position, he got pissed. I think time has proven that MJ is a pretty bad basketball executive. I can't believe a guy could be so upset at a team that paid him $30-plus million his last two years and pretty much catered to his every conceivable demand.

They worked a sign and trade with Houston simply to get Scottie as much money as possible, which they didn't have to do.