NBA Offseason Thread

According to Berger at CBS they could get all 3 and keep Noah and Rose:

"The South Florida Sun-Sentinel first reported the meeting , and speculation immediately focused on the Bulls' apparent efforts to offer what previously only the Heat could: the opportunity for the superstar trinity of free agents -- LeBron, Wade and Chris Bosh -- to play together.

In order to facilitate that, the Bulls would have to acquire Bosh in a sign-and-trade from Toronto, likely giving up Luol Deng or Joakim Noah in the process. Short of that, the Bulls are only one minor move -- dumping James Johnson and his $1.8 million contract on a team with cap space to absorb it -- from offering LeBron and Wade the chance to pair up in Chicago and chase down championships in the shadow of Michael Jordan."

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/...ner;mccBlogInfo

i think the bulls have to offer bosh a contract now....they did it for wade he said he can't commit right now so if they don't offer one to bosh and are banking on bringing in lebron and wade they potentially are screwing themselves over if lebron decides to stay in cleveland and then bosh is mad bcuz they didnt offer him a contract and wade and him run off to miami and then the bulls would be left with nothing....

if they go in to tomorrows meeting with bosh committed and they land lebron then you can tell wade that he was too late.... or if lebron stays in cleveland then you pursue wade some more without giving off any bad vibes to any of the players

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)

"The South Florida Sun-Sentinel first reported the meeting , and speculation immediately focused on the Bulls' apparent efforts to offer what previously only the Heat could: the opportunity for the superstar trinity of free agents -- LeBron, Wade and Chris Bosh -- to play together.

In order to facilitate that, the Bulls would have to acquire Bosh in a sign-and-trade from Toronto, likely giving up Luol Deng or Joakim Noah in the process. Short of that, the Bulls are only one minor move -- dumping James Johnson and his $1.8 million contract on a team with cap space to absorb it -- from offering LeBron and Wade the chance to pair up in Chicago and chase down championships in the shadow of Michael Jordan."

People view that as a negative, but the Lakers and Celtics have won with great players in different eras, you can spin it to adding to the mystique of the franchise, basically making the Bulls an elite franchise like the Lakers and Celtics... people have been filling up the UC for years with crap teams, LBJ would be embraced here

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
Somehow everyone seems to think if the Bulls do one S&T, they have room for 3 max contracts. I don't know why, unless it is the Bulls trading Deng/Noah for Bosh as that would give them room for 3 maxs.

But is there an exemption or something the Bulls could get back that than helps them? Or do the Bulls have an exemption already that would help them in a S&T?

I don't think they have any trade exemptions. If they do, then that's an entirely different scenario and it may be possible.

However, assuming they don't, the math simply doesn't work. Here are the Bulls' current salary commitments:

Rose- 5.546 mil

Deng- 11.355 mil

Noah- 3.128 mil

James Johnson- 1.713 mi

Taj Gibson- 1.117 mil

Total committed salary- 22.86 mil, not counting cap holds.

That means they have just under $30 mil in cap space, which is a lot but not enough to pay two guys $16.6 mil.

Unless they could clear at least $4 mil more, they can't sign two max guys. Plus they'd still need Deng and a little more filler in a sign-and-trade for Bosh since they'd have to be within 90% of Bosh's contract value for it to be a valid trade under the CBA.

So basically, all three isn't happening.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)

Getting rid of Deng and Johnson could probably get the Bulls enough room for 3 max, but not the max these guys want with a sign and trade .

One show I saw said the bulls have a 15 mil exception

The problem is I dont know what a 15 mil exception is, so I dont know what it means.

I guess it might be a Trade Exception or Exemption, wiki said exception so Ill go with that.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
OR:

To force Cleveland's hand by making them sweat the possibility of him leaving, and he never truly was going to leave town. This possibly puts more pressure on Cleveland to try and make some moves to bring in some talent to surround him with, and perhaps show him that next year they can put even more talent on the team to contend.

He really really wants to win in Cleveland, but I don't think he'll leave town unless another team absolutely blows him away with an offer, whether it's the Bulls, Nets, Heat.. whoever.

But he has to understand that those teams have to operate under the salary cap. And his deal alone eats up a lot of that cap. The Bulls and Heat are willing to trash almost their entire rosters to bring in him and another big time FA, and possibly even two other big time FA's.

I don't understand what else he could possibly expect...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
I still think the 3 player superplan is ludicrous.

I completely agree, but i think if the Bulls land one of these guys they'll get one of the others. Basically put, I think we either get 2 or none. The possible exception is if Lebron really likes the Bulls pitch and is ok with Boozer.

However, I think if Lebron likes the Bulls and ultimately comes, it would be enough to get Bosh instead and I think that is why Wade is interested in Chicago, he could accept early and ensure he is one of the two guys to join our elite squad.

We could also strike out completely (very possible).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
One show I saw said the bulls have a 15 mil exemption.

The problem is I dont know what a 15 mil exemption is, so I dont know what it means.

It allows us to take on cap room so to speak. So can be over the cap and make a trade where we don't give up the same amount of salary (and end up taking on salary). That is my understanding at least. And I think if we get Bosh, we'd probably use that exception in a S&T, bring in one other guy, and than use the rest of the money to soldify our bench.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
OR:

To force Cleveland's hand by making them sweat the possibility of him leaving, and he never truly was going to leave town. This possibly puts more pressure on Cleveland to try and make some moves to bring in some talent to surround him with, and perhaps show him that next year they can put even more talent on the team to contend.

He really really wants to win in Cleveland, but I don't think he'll leave town unless another team absolutely blows him away with an offer, whether it's the Bulls, Nets, Heat.. whoever.

Is it really necessary for Lebron to go through all this to convince Cleveland to make certain moves? I'm sure if he were willing to extend he'd have exactly the same influence then as he would now under the threat of leaving.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
So I did some searching, and maybe there is going to be a trade exception with Hinrich?

That trade isnt finalized so maybe they know something we dont...

If that's the case, they could potentially pull it off. It's a multi-step process though...

1) Trade Deng somewhere to clear his money off the payroll, or at least drop your salary by like $4 mil (that could be a tough one)

2) Sign your two max free agents with the increased room.

3) Use the trade exception from the Hinrich deal as well as the $3 mil in exceptions remaining from the Salmons and Tyrus trades plus probably Johnson and/or Gibson to acquire Bosh.

Still seems like quite a pipedream though.

Allright so if you want to dream, here is the scenario for the bulls to get 3.

1) The bulls must get a trade exception in the Hinrich trade, it has to be large. For the sake of ease we will say the Bulls have 12 mil in trade exception.

2) The bulls need to move deng in a trade that will bring them to the right number for 2 max contracts under the salary cap.

3) Sign Wade/Lebron max deals, you are now at cap.

4) Trade exception + a combination of players that = Chris Bosh max contract x .9 (I believe that is the rule, it may be a different formula but I believe a team over cap can trade as long as salaries are within 90%)

And there you go potential starting line up:

Joakim Noah C

Chris Bosh PF

Lebron James SF

Dwayne Wade SG

Derrick Rose PG

--

Scrubs

And Im out hopefully the bulls read this post and pitch the 3 of them.

There is a possibility, no one else could offer this. If they make it happen they will be gods.

(haha zoom at least give me credit you bastard)

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
Allright so if you want to dream, here is the scenario for the bulls to get 3.

1) The bulls must get a trade exception in the Hinrich trade, it has to be large. For the sake of ease we will say the Bulls have 12 mil in trade exception.

2) The bulls need to move deng in a trade that will bring them to the right number for 2 max contracts under the salary cap.

3) Sign Wade/Lebron max deals, you are now at cap.

4) Trade exception + a combination of players that = Chris Bosh max contract x .9 (I believe that is the rule, it may be a different formula but I believe a team over cap can trade as long as salaries are within 90%)

And there you go potential starting line up:

Joakim Noah C

Chris Bosh PF

Lebron James SF

Dwayne Wade SG

Derrick Rose PG

--

Scrubs

And Im out hopefully the bulls read this post and pitch the 3 of them.

There is a possibility, no one else could offer this. If they make it happen they will be gods.

That lineup isn't even fair, I don't see how they would lose a game

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)

LOL, I basically typed the same thing about the math 10 minutes ago, only I totally forgot about a potential Hinrich trade exception.