NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)
When they play the western conference in the all-star game?

lol I was going to say, except for Dwight Howard that'd probably be the Eastern all-star starters right there.

Trade exceptions can't be added to anything. A team can acquire 125% of the salary they trade away (in a simultaneous trade). So if they have a $10 million player, he can be traded for up to $12.5 million in incoming salary. If they also have an outstanding trade exception for $5 million, they can't add it to the $12.5 million in order to acquire a player making $17.5 million. The trade exception can only be used to acquire a player or players making the amount of the exception or less (plus a $100,000 fudge factor).

Trade exceptions can't be added to other trade exceptions, either. Right now the Lakers have two trade exceptions – one for $2.5 million, and the other for $1.9 million. They can't combine them to acquire a player making $4.4 million. The $2.5 million exception can only be used to acquire a player making $2.5 million or less, and the $1.9 million exception can only be used to acquire a player making $1.9 million or less (again, each also has a $100,000 fudge factor).

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_...3#ixzz0saBIb5lg

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
Well I guess I'm not up to date on NBA financials can I get a brief description on what the hell a trade exception is?

Basically to make the math work on trades for teams over the cap, you can take a trade exception instead of players back. You then have a year where you can send that trade exception elsewhere in a deal instead of player salaries to make a trade work (under the CBA, a team over the cap has to send/take in an amount that is within 10% of the salary that is going the other way). It would generally happen when a team over the cap trades a player to a team that is under the cap and doesn't want to take back any salary.

Edit- Dick actually out-lined the rules in a much better fashion. I mistakenly thought they could be combined.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 02:36 AM)
Well, apparently the guy that is running our cap numbers is some incredible genius (Irwin something or other). My guess is if they are trying to get all 3 players, he has found a way for it to work.

absolutely

After reading Dick's post on the trade exceptions, I don't see how they could get all three and still keep Rose and Noah. Several problems arise:

1) Deng, Rose and Noah make about $20 mil, which doesn't leave them enough room for two max.

2) If they trade Deng to try to get to double-max room, they won't have a salary to match Bosh. Lebron, Wade, Rose, Noah and the two rookie deals (Johnson and Gibson) would be the only salaries on the roster. Even if you sent the other four players, it wouldn't be enough to match Bosh.

3) They can't trade Deng for Bosh first because he'll be making $17 mil all by himself, putting a major dent in your cap room.

That may be the case, but I don't understand their M.O. otherwise.

They push Wade for a commitment tonight, while they already have a meeting scheduled with Bosh. Clearly the reason they want an answer tonight is because they want to bring something to LeBron tomorrow.

So Wade says he can't commit yet, but they still are going to try and get Bosh to commit tonight, so they can bring this to LeBron tomorrow.

I hope they aren't basing their decision on simply which player agrees tonight.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
That may be the case, but I don't understand their M.O. otherwise.

They push Wade for a commitment tonight, while they already have a meeting scheduled with Bosh. Clearly the reason they want an answer tonight is because they want to bring something to LeBron tomorrow.

So Wade says he can't commit yet, but they still are going to try and get Bosh to commit tonight, so they can bring this to LeBron tomorrow.

I hope they aren't basing their decision on simply which player agrees tonight.

Wade and Bosh share the same agent....if they don't offer bosh a contract and go into cleveland and can't scoop up lebron that may cause some animosity between the bulls and bosh....he can then tell dwade he wants to go to miami with him and boom we are stuck with nothing....i think they almost have to offer one to him tonight to play it safe if they can't land lebron tomorrow then u just go back to wade with bosh already committed

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
Wade and Bosh share the same agent....if they don't offer bosh a contract and go into cleveland and can't scoop up lebron that may cause some animosity between the bulls and bosh....he can then tell dwade he wants to go to miami with him and boom we are stuck with nothing....i think they almost have to offer one to him tonight to play it safe if they can't land lebron tomorrow then u just go back to wade with bosh already committed

I don't see why they just can't have a deal worked out with all three contingent upon what LeBron says tomorrow.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like Wade is playing us.

he's exploring all his options, that's for sure, but I'm sure the Bulls are aware of all the scenarios, and again, it's the NBA with a cap, the money is basically the money and it doesn't help Wade's cause in Miami to not commit to them right away.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
So Zoom, what do you think they should do with Deng?

If they want two max, he has to be traded somewhere. The easiest thing would be to send him to Toronto for Bosh. If they won't take him, they have to send him somewhere else and try to save at least $4 mil, probably closer to $6 mil (I don't know the exact math with the cap holds).

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jul 2, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
# I don't film my meetings. I am a professional. Having control of your own media is a distraction, but when other networks do it, it's not? about 10 hours ago via mobile web

This is from Bosh's twitter. Anybody know what he is referring to?

Bosh is making a documentary of his FA process.