NBA Offseason Thread

IraHeatBeat: Spoke with an agent who is very tuned in. He laughed off Wade departure concerns. "It's all a smokescreen," the reputable agent said.

at this point i dont believe anything miami beat writers are saying right now....seems to me they are grasping at straws

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
IraHeatBeat: Spoke with an agent who is very tuned in. He laughed off Wade departure concerns. "It's all a smokescreen," the reputable agent said.

at this point i dont believe anything miami beat writers are saying right now....seems to me they are grasping at straws

A smokescreen for what? To force the Heat to make a move? They lost out on Stoudemire apparently when Wade was recruiting for them, and now Wade is only hurting them by talking to other teams.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
Can someone explain this? From ESPN

"The Mavericks were expected to present Nowitzki with the maximum offer. The most he can re-sign for is four years and $96 million."

Why would the max only be 4 years? I thought the max was 6 years??

Max contract, I believe, are based on how many years the player has been in the league (or age, something like that).

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)

I hate Ira Winderman more than any other writer during this circus run. He has been by far the least objective and has always taken the pro-heat position.

Ira Winderman makes me really appreciate the work K.C. Johnson does.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
sounds like LeBron might announce he's staying in Cleveland to all of the fans around 4PM today, as being speculated on the radio.

None of the writers on Athomeboy's twitter list have mentioned this, I'm not sure . . . but I don't believe this.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
Can someone explain this? From ESPN

"The Mavericks were expected to present Nowitzki with the maximum offer. The most he can re-sign for is four years and $96 million."

Why would the max only be 4 years? I thought the max was 6 years??

the $$$ per year is the max.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
sounds like LeBron might announce he's staying in Cleveland to all of the fans around 4PM today, as being speculated on the radio.

hopefully its to tell the fans of cleveland he's had a great time but i just agreed to terms with bulls management

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
None of the writers on Athomeboy's twitter list have mentioned this, I'm not sure . . . but I don't believe this.

i agree i've been looking all over for this and the only thing i can find is cleveland telling the fans to come back when LB leaves....i havent seen anywhere on the web where it's talking about he's going to address the fans

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
hopefully its to tell the fans of cleveland he's had a great time but i just agreed to terms with bulls management

i'll be on the beach but if we get a iphone update that says this, i'm gonna drown myself in happiness.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
i'll be on the beach but if we get a iphone update that says this, i'm gonna drown myself in happiness.

in jizz?? will you drown yourself in jizz?? I dunno, I've just heard a lot of jizz references in thread thought you might drown yourself in jizz . . .

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
The score just reported that LBJ is going to address the crowd after he meets with the bulls, no word on what he is supposed to say.

"I want to thank you all for being such great fans but I am going somewhere I might actually be able to win a championship"

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Jul 3, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
The score just reported that LBJ is going to address the crowd after he meets with the bulls, no word on what he is supposed to say.

it's one of two things:

1. I'm staying

2. It's been a long process, thank you for your support, I need to think about all the things I've heard for the last 2 days and discuss it with those close to me.

He won't say he's signing with someone else.

If anyone bothered to read my posts (which I guess I don't blame you for) you would have surmised that Paruch is likely misreading the Chicago Breaking news article that says fans are being told to return to see LeBron leave the building at 3.

Please let us get 1 of the big 3....please...please please. I still think its going to be real hard because we he have that issue of not being able to offer as much $$$ to Wade/LBJ. I think if we could offer the same amount, we'd be for sure able to land then one of them (probably Wade). But they areed,n't going to come for so much less in guaranteed (albeit, the true amount isn't as big as people think, its more just the 1 year shorter deal, which is 1 less in guaranteed, but could eventually be earned in a future contract).

Below is an article talking about how we can offer 3 max guys. Basically it is a matter of getting Brad Miller or another party who we still hold the rihgts to to sign a 1 year deal and get shipped out.

While it is true that the Chicago Bulls currently do not currently have the space for even two maximum free agents at the present moment, they can wield the rules of the NBA salary cap to get Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh with a little fancy maneuvering.

Before getting into the nitty gritty, there are a few basic assumptions:

1. The maximum contract each of the three players can receive is $16,568,908. This was estimated by RealGM numerous places, including this piece.

2. The Bulls are currently $3.5 million short of having the space for two max contracts, according to (Larry Coon)

From here, we need to rely on two different rules.

First we have the 125% rule. This rule indicates that any team can take on 125% of the contract values they send out in a trade, plus $100,000 of buffer room. As such, take the maximum contract value above, divide it by 1.25 and subtract $100k from that total and you get $13,155,126. This is the minimum value a team at or over the cap could send in contracts for a max-level player while satisfying this rule. However, cap space can also be used to reduce this number if it is available.

Since the Bulls are $3.5M short of two maximum salaries right now, a move that sent Luol Deng elsewhere bringing nothing back would give Chicago approximately $7.855M in cap room to work with beyond the space allocated for the second max free agent. As such, we could take this value off the top of the $13,155,126.

Doing so, the Bulls could work a sign-and-trade for the third max free agent that includes around $5,299,276 or more in salary. While the non-Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah Bulls (Taj Gibson and James Johnson) make less than this figure combined, Chicago could use a sign-and-trade of one of their current players like Brad Miller to do it. Using a current player allows the team to use Bird rights to re-sign that guy while not using up the space needed to sign the second max contract.

As such, a deal that includes some combination of Taj Gibson, James Johnson, signed and traded free agent(s) at a reasonable sum (as well as picks, in all likelihood) and adds up to around $5.3 million or more after or coinciding with a Luol Deng trade would make adding a third max player while still having Rose and Noah on roster a reality.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives.../#ixzz0sdmTsYlj