NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
Did that start before or after he won a championship?

Jordan was a goof in his first few years...if you look, you can find him in pictures wearing mink coats and gold chains to the Stadium.

When I was in the locker room was the year they won 70 games, so they were all veterans then. It was a f***ing circus.

So I understand the distinction you are making.

But Michael was just as young and dumb as some of these other guys...luckily, he listened to people who cared about him and got his s*** in order, at least enough so that the press ignored most of it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
Oh I agree...I'm just pointing out that Michael often expected special treatment because of who he was, especially when he was young.

There's a difference between getting special treatment and not being able to be told no.

To get to the top, the Bulls had to tell Jordan no. The other example is firing his favorite coach...Doug Collins, and replacing him with that crazy NY Knick zen guy with the mustache.

I can't think of a time when the Cavs have openly told Lebron no. He's picked trades, he's picked players, he's picked coaches, he's picked the offense, he's picked the defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
There's a difference between getting special treatment and not being able to be told no.

To get to the top, the Bulls had to tell Jordan no. The other example is firing his favorite coach...Doug Collins, and replacing him with that crazy NY Knick zen guy with the mustache.

I can't think of a time when the Cavs have openly told Lebron no. He's picked trades, he's picked players, he's picked coaches, he's picked the offense, he's picked the defense.

Do you remember Rodney McCray?

The Bulls didn't always tell Michael no...

LOL, apparently the Heat beat writer that told everyone to meet Wade at the plane to welcome him in had it all wrong, Wade had already gotten in on a commercial flight and was already elsewhere when these fans were all waiting for him to come off the other plane.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5355523

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
LOL, apparently the Heat beat writer that told everyone to meet Wade at the plane to welcome him in had it all wrong, Wade had already gotten in on a commercial flight and was already elsewhere when these fans were all waiting for him to come off the other plane.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5355523

Well I guess any remaining questions about his sources were just answered.

The Heat's marketing department is the source that leaked the info.

You'd think they'd have their act together a little. Beeeep.

They put the info out on Facebook and Twitter to get fans to appear for Wade...

And a grand total of 50 people showed up. Nice support there Miami.

Advantage us.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)

There is no one in the Bulls organization that wanted Doug Collins gone more than Michael Jordan. He couldn't stand him, but later realized the good he did and wound up hiring him in Washington.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
are we really going to have to wait another 3 days at least to see who is going where?

The dominoes will fall pretty quickly after LeBron decides where he's going.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
Yup. I can't wait till Friday.

I think we're going to have all of the answers we are particularly interested in by the end of the day Thursday.

Oh, and btw, not only did only like 50 people show up at the airport in Miami, they apparently showed up at the wrong terminal. Oops.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
So it appears that the Bulls said LeBron's inner circle would get no special privileges.

I wonder if that's a possible deal breaker.

The decision was likely made before that, but the Bulls will clearly leak that story in an effort to explain why LBJ might not have come to Chicago.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
So it appears that the Bulls said LeBron's inner circle would get no special privileges.

I wonder if that's a possible deal breaker.

I am really 50/50 on this one. At one hand, you gotta do whatever you can to win so as long as it's legal. So what if you give LeBron, the best player in the NBA some special privileges. However, why the hell does he need 16 people flying on the team plane every trip? That's quite extreme. And his whole entourage is kinda sketchy. I guess I am really hoping Wade commits and then we go get Bosh/Boozer. We still get a heck of an off-season and don't have to deal with LeBron and his people.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 07:20 AM)
is it me or is IraHeatBeat a fanboy more than a beat writer? I cannot imagine KC Johnson saying some of the things the IraHeatBeat has been saying

He has been absolutely brutal. . . I think I have been more objective than he has and I have a coke themed LeBron James avatar.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
I didn't want the Bulls to baby LeBron and treat him with kid gloves the way Cleveland has.

Well it depends. If you can get Wade and/or Bosh, I would tend to agree with you. But if LeBron is your only big time option, I think you almost kind of have to sell your soul if that's what it takes. The Bulls simply cannot afford to strike out here for any reason.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
Bosh wants a sign and trade. Won't give up that extra $30 mil by just signing somewhere. Toronto reportedly won't deal Bosh to the Bulls without getting Noah in return.

Get real Toronto. Take Deng & a draft pick and be happy that Bosh wants a S&T.

The more I think about it... the more I believe that Lebron will stay in Cleveland...

And if the only way Bosh is willing to come is via sign and trade (per recent articles that also suggest it would cost us Noah)...

I'm beginning to think it may not be a bad idea to make a pre-emptive strike (at the right price) for Boozer... and use the signing as further proof to Wade of our willingness to:

- Bring him in as 'the guy'

- Surround him with a better cast than Miami can deliver... even if they add Bosh

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
Turns out the no privileges thing about LeBron's friends isn't true.

I figured, i'm sure it was a single restriction or something that got blown out of proportion in the link.

I have to feel for a competitive guy like lebron prolly is, there has to be something compelling to one team telling you how you're going to win with a great team and the other telling you that we'll let you do whatever you want. It's like the girl playing hard to get vs. the girl right there for the taking.