2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, now i've pretty firmly set on wanting Austin Wilson to be our pick. That's predicated by the belief that Raunado will be taken before that. IF he isn't i'd like to bring him. After that we need to get a projectable LHP and some middle infield depth that can swing the bat.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 18, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
Right, now i've pretty firmly set on wanting Austin Wilson to be our pick. That's predicated by the belief that Raunado will be taken before that. IF he isn't i'd like to bring him. After that we need to get a projectable LHP and some middle infield depth that can swing the bat.

As I said in the catch-all thread, I still think we are taking a pitcher with our first pick. (and rightfully so) I don't think you'll be disappointed if it's the current M.O. we've been doing. (high upside guy) I got a few guys in mind, just hope we don't select a "safe" pick. Raunado scares me a bit, but you know I still love him.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 18, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)
I'm expecting someone like Workman or Wimmers. At least this way I can't be disappointed... or I'll just be less disappointed.

If it is Wimmers, I'll be a bit disappointed to be honest. And Texas pitchers scare me, so I'm shot on Workman.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 18, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)

One wonders when/if the organizational tendency to take college players with the first pick will deviate. Austin Wilson would be a fine starting point. I think many people see some Heyward in him. I also wouldn't be averse to Cole/Covey if pitching depth is first to be addressed. (Assuming they plan to pony up for Cole) We should be getting some more accurate assessments of what teams are thinking in the coming weeks. I believe Jonathan Mayo's first mock goes up tomorrow.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 18, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
I'm expecting someone like Workman or Wimmers. At least this way I can't be disappointed... or I'll just be less disappointed.

I woudln't be dissapointed with Workman. I keep hearing comparisons to Roy Halladay, and while I find those to be really outlandish, i've been impressed with him every time i've seen him pitch.

I'd rather have Wimmers than Workman. I don't think Workman is a mid 1st talent. That being said, I'm not enamored with either of them.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
I'd rather have Wimmers than Workman. I don't think Workman is a mid 1st talent. That being said, I'm not enamored with either of them.

It sounds like both of them get talked about as pitchers that you don't appreciate until you watch them pitch multiple times. While that is great and all and I'm all about guys like Buehrle, when I draft I tend to go heavily on tools and I like guys with wow me potential. It is why I might be higher on Harvey than others might and why I'd still take a shot at Ranaudo.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Those are the only two names that have worried me so far. I haven't picked a favorite, but I certainly don't like the idea of either of these two guys at 13. I also wouldn't be surprised.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
One wonders when/if the organizational tendency to take college players with the first pick will deviate. Austin Wilson would be a fine starting point. I think many people see some Heyward in him. I also wouldn't be averse to Cole/Covey if pitching depth is first to be addressed. (Assuming they plan to pony up for Cole) We should be getting some more accurate assessments of what teams are thinking in the coming weeks. I believe Jonathan Mayo's first mock goes up tomorrow.

Scouts LOVE this kid. You would think they were working for him the way they talk him up. I've read about 5 different scouting reports on him and I've seen comparisons to Andre Dawson, Moises Alou, Juan Gonzalez, Jason Heyward and Mike Stanton.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
Scouts LOVE this kid. You would think they were working for him the way they talk him up. I've read about 5 different scouting reports on him and I've seen comparisons to Andre Dawson, Moises Alou, Juan Gonzalez, Jason Heyward and Mike Stanton.

Then why would he be there at #13?

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 18, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
He's very raw and there are serious concerns about his pitch recognition. Plus the signability factor.

From what I heard, he won't be Bryce Brentz bad though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Why didn't Heyward go until #14? Why did Stanton make it to the 2nd round? Most mocks I've seen have Wilson going a few picks before or after ours.

Other than the first top 10 picks (or even top 5 mostly), it is a crap-shoot with mock drafts from 11 on. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Wilson fell to the mid first or even a supp. pick/2nd rounder. I thought Melville last year would be a mid 1st rounder for sure, in fact.. I was betting it (hell most mocks had him as a top 15 pick), and I believe he didn't get picked till the 3rd round (you can blame scared of mechanics, signability issues, whatever).

Edited by SoxAce

I saw Bryce Brentz play against UT last week. Didn't do a whole lot at the plate (BB, HBP), but put a decent bat on the ball. He jacked one to the warning track that we all thought was out - initial reaction was like "well, i guess that's why he's a 1st rounder... oh. nevermind".

Anyway, he made a poor play in RF where he and the 2B didn't communicate well and let a blooper drop in - so we heckled him for that of course. Wish I could say he looked unbelievable or something, but he was just pretty average. I will say this: he had the presence of a big time player; not sure how to explain it, but you knew the guy was good. Also, he did pitch the 9th inning and looked good.

Actually, the player I was most impressed with for MTSU was 2B Justin Miller. The dude has a solid build and absolutely smoked a HR. I mean, as soon as it hit the bat you knew it was gone. Also impressive was Justin Guidry - great build; looks like Jordan Danks out there. Solid defense and hit 2 HR's but only has 7 on the year. Batting .392 though, which is really impressive.

Edited by dasox24

Any thoughts on Stetson Allie? He has some serious helium right now. Evidently his control has been shored up significantly this year, and his slider has been nasty. It's looking more and more likely that he will go in the 1st round. He's got the arm to dream about, but there's a good chance he ends up a reliever. (albeit a closer/setup reliever)

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
Any thoughts on Stetson Allie? He has some serious helium right now. Evidently his control has been shored up significantly this year, and his slider has been nasty. It's looking more and more likely that he will go in the 1st round. He's got the arm to dream about, but there's a good chance he ends up a reliever. (albeit a closer/setup reliever)

Hell of a fastball but I have serious concerns over his complete lack of secondary stuff. Not sure if I take him over some of the other guys. If we were picking in the 20's, I'd take more of a chance, but I'd rather go with a Ranaudo/Paxton. Both of those guys have real nice arms and seem to be a bit more polished.

That said, I'd probably take Allie over Workman and some of the other guys, albeit I could see that pick really backfiring and I don't like the idea of that when we pick as high as 13 (higher than we normally pick). I really think I'd rather go with a high upside position player, but the Sox seem to be leaning another way (simply because I like our options at 13 more from the offensive standpoint than I do the pitching standpoint).

Unless of course we grab Ranaudo.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 18, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
If Wilson or Ranaudo are there and we don't pick one, I will officially be confused.

I won't. One has Boras as an agent and injury issues, while the other has signability questions and is extremely risky. (And the organization keeps noting a desire for pitching this year)

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
I won't. One has Boras as an agent and injury issues, while the other has signability questions and is extremely risky. (And the organization keeps noting a desire for pitching this year)

And where has playing it safe gotten our farm system in recent years?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
And where has playing it safe gotten our farm system in recent years?

The safe picks haven't yielded much, but I'm not advocating a safe approach. I just won't be surprised in the least if we don't select Wilson or Ranaudo even if both are available.

I guess I'm not fully sold on the organization's "commitment" to this new draft philosophy yet. Drafting a toolsy college player like Mitchell with a late first round pick for slot is drastically different than taking a high leverage high school player with signability issues and a huge bust chance (Wilson).

I'd love for them to go out on a limb this year with both tools and upside and what they are willing to spend, but I don't fully believe that is the M.O. until I see it happen with my own eyes.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
The safe picks haven't yielded much, but I'm not advocating a safe approach. I just won't be surprised in the least if we don't select Wilson or Ranaudo even if both are available.

I guess I'm not fully sold on the organization's "commitment" to this new draft philosophy yet. Drafting a toolsy college player like Mitchell with a late first round pick for slot is drastically different than taking a high leverage high school player with signability issues and a huge bust chance (Wilson).

I'd love for them to go out on a limb this year with both tools and upside and what they are willing to spend, but I don't fully believe that is the M.O. until I see it happen with my own eyes.

Excellent post. I totally agree. This draft will go a long way in showing that they really have committed to a new philosophy.