2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 28, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Kind of what I expect with Harvey as well. I'd be willing to wager a large amount that one of Workman/Wimmers will be the Sox selection.

Which would be a worst case scenario. But on the bright side I can get the illusion out of my head that this franchise is committed to the farm.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched some videos on MLB.com of Asher and Workman, and I'm not impressed with either, to be honest. Workman's secondary pitches seemed very mediocre, and his fastball is in the low 90s. Castellanos' video was pretty impressive, as he was reaching the warning track at Wrigley without even swinging hard.

From Frankie Piliere's latest mock:

13. White Sox - Bryce Brentz (OF) | Middle Tennessee State

Look for the White Sox to look at the college ranks to find their pick. That much we can depend on. Brentz and Kvasnicka top their short list of college bats they would consider in this spot. They have looked at college arms like Wojciechowski and Workman, but they don't appear to be on Wimmers. High school bats Sale and Nick Castellanos are also apparently not in play. Chicago is one of the biggest believers in Brentz's bat in the round so I'd look for them to go there with this pick. If they do go the high school route, Yordy Cabrera, who is a hot name all over the round, could get a look here.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 29, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
I watched some videos on MLB.com of Asher and Workman, and I'm not impressed with either, to be honest. Workman's secondary pitches seemed very mediocre, and his fastball is in the low 90s. Castellanos' video was pretty impressive, as he was reaching the warning track at Wrigley without even swinging hard.

Well we all know there's nothing more accurate than video clip scouting. Workman's curve is considered borderline plus-plus, and one of the best curve's in the draft class.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 31, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
From Frankie Piliere's latest mock:

Yuck. I've done a complete turnaround on Brentz. Don't believe in him much. I would much prefer a Workman/Wimmers.

Your thoughts on Brentz?

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 31, 2010 -> 11:15 AM)
Well we all know there's nothing more accurate than video clip scouting. Workman's curve is considered borderline plus-plus, and one of the best curve's in the draft class.

The only reason why Workman wouldn't be a terrible pick for us is because of how weak this draft class is, outside of Bryce Harper.

Workman also has concerns with his mechanics. Given the fact that he throws across his body (it's not even borderline, he's throwing well across his body) and seems to put more stress on his arm when he throws more so then other pitchers, it could lead to a lot of injuries (see Kerry Wood).

But since this class is so weak, it wouldn't be a terrible choice. From what I've heard, he sounds better than Lance Broadway, but not that much better. I won't go ape s*** if we draft Workman, but I won't get to excited either. If we go with a pitcher, I want a power arm. We need to start making some noise in this organization, draft some players with lower floors, but higher ceilings. Give me a Stetson Allie, someone with electric stuff already at 18/19 who is still growing and maturing as a baseball player. That 98 fastball could become a 100 mph fastball in 2-3 years.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 31, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
Yuck. I've done a complete turnaround on Brentz. Don't believe in him much. I would much prefer a Workman/Wimmers.

I'm torn on him as well, but he would still be a MUCH better pick than Wimmers or Workman IMO. I just don't like those pitchers at all, and am tired of the "safe" picks. Jeff, you can probably give a better grasp of his potential. (Brentz I mean)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 31, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
I'm torn on him as well, but he would still be a MUCH better pick than Wimmers or Workman IMO. I just don't like those pitchers at all, and am tired of the "safe" picks. Jeff, you can probably give a better grasp of his potential (Brentz I mean) but I'm not seeing a very high upside there.

I think Wimmers is somewhat underrated. He has an above average fastball in the 90-92 (up to 94 on occasion) range with good life, and very good command. His curve and change have been described as plus by multiple sources as well. The nontraditional pitcher's frame scares some people off, but I think he has an outside chance of being a number 2 starter, but more likely a number 3. He isn't a sexy pick I agree, but I wouldn't be unhappy with him.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 31, 2010 -> 01:35 PM)
I'm torn on him as well, but he would still be a MUCH better pick than Wimmers or Workman IMO. I just don't like those pitchers at all, and am tired of the "safe" picks. Jeff, you can probably give a better grasp of his potential. (Brentz I mean)

The comments I read about Brentz earlier this year compared to now are drastically different. I'm not a scouting expert by any means, I just read and gather as much information as a I can. Earlier this year there were Markakis comps being thrown about, noting him as being able to hit for both power and average with good (not great) corner OF defense.

Most currently I've seen a few Francoeur comparisons, wonders about his plate discipline, swing, and projections as a .250-260 hitter with 20 - 25 HR power. I like Choice much more than Brentz currently.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 01:37 AM)
ESPN Insider's, does Law's new mock offer anything new and insightful?

Not really. It's the same three names as last week (Barrett Loux, Deck McGuire and Asher Wojciechowski). McGuire is the pick, whose stock Law says is slipping.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 31, 2010 -> 07:49 PM)
Not really. It's the same three names as last week (Barrett Loux, Deck McGuire and Asher Wojciechowski). McGuire is the pick, whose stock Law says is slipping.

Thanks.

I'd be happy with McGuire.

Just browsing around collegesplits I saw C.J. Cron, drafted by the Sox in '08 (44th round), and son of Chris Cron has a park/schedule adjusted .580 wOBA and 1.391 OPS at Utah. Ridiculous. He's second in the country behind Grandal in both those stats.

I guess that makes him a 2011 guy to watch.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
Mark Gonzalez seems to think the Sox face a dilemma in picking Ozney Guillen. I tend to disagree. We either get him or we don’t: it’s not the end of the world. I just hope we don’t pick him too high. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6114163.story

I see what he's saying. If he truly is a 5-10 round player, and say he's there in the 8th round (due to signability concerns or whatever) and the Sox think he's a good fit at that spot and draft him I'm sure it would open them up for criticism, deserved or not. I think that's what he's getting at. I think it'd be interesting if any discussion of such ever occurs and we get to see it in the tv show though.

ProfessorFog

@BaseballAmerica What can you tell me about Ozney Guillen? Awaiting the inevitable overdraft from the White Sox. 12 minutes ago via web in reply to BaseballAmerica

BaseballAmerica

@ProfessorFog So are we; asked scouts about him, didn't get a lot of feedback other than solid hitting, OF ability, not a consensus top guy 5 minutes ago via HootSuite in reply to ProfessorFog

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
I'm curious to know whether scouts like him more than Kenny Jr at least. Kenny is a great athlete but the guy can't stay healthy and was such a ridiculous overdraft.

What are you talking about!? According to his dad, he was a value pick!

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 06:53 PM)
Saw Justin O'Conner play this weekend in his high school sectionals. WOW

I was just reading information on him, and he's pretty intriguing. Stetson Allie is another player who sticks out.

I like O'Conner... He has good hitting potential and if he can't stick at C, he can likely also try out 3B or LF. And hell, if he shows he can't hit after a few years, we just pull a Sergio Santos with him!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)
I was just reading information on him, and he's pretty intriguing. Stetson Allie is another player who sticks out.

I love Allie, especially with the improved command. I will be tracking his progress no matter who takes him. It's a shame that he's not remotely an option for the Sox.

Kevin Chapman, 50th round pick by the Sox last year, is ranked as the 81st best draft prospect by Baseball America. The Sox tend to redraft guys so keep an eye on him as a possibility.

"Has shown plus slider, fastball velocity, could be first college closer drafted."