2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:37 AM)
Here's a Workman scouting report from MLB.com

Part of the problem is they rarely state when they (the people doing the scouting reports) saw the player or how many times they saw the player. So it's tough to gauge how much credibility to give each scouting report. That one that says plus cutter average curve. ESPN's gives the curve a 60, fastball a 55, change a 45 and doesn't even mention a cutter. Andy Seiler says

His best pitch is a plus to plus-plus curveball that is one of the best pitches from a college pitcher in this

class, and he throws an above-average cutter, as well. His changeup is an average pitch without much

room for more.

Nick James at PnR scouting says he has a slider and no cutter and gives future grades of:

Motion: 45/50

Fastball: 60

Curveball: 60/65

Change: 50

Slider: 50

Control: 60

Command: 45/50

Mayo's latest mock draft says Barret Loux from Texas A&M. Based on what I've seen, he projected more as a late 1st to mid 2nd, but his stock has risen lately as he's had some strong outings against good talent.

11-2

2.60 ERA

104 IP

75 hits allowed

33 BB

136 Ks

.197 BA against

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:40 AM)
Mayo's latest mock draft says Barret Loux from Texas A&M. Based on what I've seen, he projected more as a late 1st to mid 2nd, but his stock has risen lately as he's had some strong outings against good talent.

11-2

2.60 ERA

104 IP

75 hits allowed

33 BB

136 Ks

.197 BA against

Not a fan at all. No plus pitches, as his curve is inconsistent and fastball sits in the 90 mph range. He's also had a lot of injuries in the past.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
Not a fan at all. No plus pitches, as his curve is inconsistent and fastball sits in the 90 mph range. He's also had a lot of injuries in the past.

I've seen his change described as plus.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)

If we reach for Loux, it's no better than the Kyle McCulloch pick. This system is in dire need of talent and potential over safe signs.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
If we reach for Loux, it's no better than the Kyle McCulloch pick. This system is in dire need of talent and potential over safe signs.

All the mocks I've seen have Loux going at the end of the first round and into the compensation round. It'd be a joke of epic proportion if he's the pick.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)

It's easy for us to say the pick needs to be a high upside, projectable talent, but the Sox surely can't afford to miss on a 1st rounder with the lack of depth in the organization. Safe might be the right way to go tomorrow.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)
It's easy for us to say the pick needs to be a high upside, projectable talent, but the Sox surely can't afford to miss on a 1st rounder with the lack of depth in the organization. Safe might be the right way to go tomorrow.

This was quite the oxymoron.

Plus we haven't made a "safe" pick for four years now. Really if you look at it, we have taken safe players (meaning low ceiling college pitchers) only a few times. Thinking back to guys like Fields and Borchard that were projects, Gio and Honel were HS pitchers, throw in Brian Anderson. I know there is Broadway and McCollough, but that is about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 01:59 AM)
Plus we haven't made a "safe" pick for four years now. Really if you look at it, we have taken safe players (meaning low ceiling college pitchers) only a few times. Thinking back to guys like Fields and Borchard that were projects, Gio and Honel were HS pitchers, throw in Brian Anderson. I know there is Broadway and McCollough, but that is about it.

Exactly, it's our starting pitchers we drafted early that were too safe...and it's looking to be that way again this year. Reading the stuff about Loux on ESPN Insider, they basically said he needs work on 3 of his pitches in order to possibly be a mid-rotation starter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)

I'm not even including position players in my talk of "safe" picks. I'm specifically speaking of pitchers. McCulloch and Broadway were the "safest" pitchers in the 1st round. Poreda was a nice change in 2007 even though I was dying for Porcello. I think we have had our best three 1st round picks of the decade in the last 3 years. So I do have some hope for the new scouts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)

Don't forget the Royce Ring debacle. That one still boggles the mind. But it's a combination of safe and cheap (not to mention just flat out missing over and over and over) that have the Sox in the position they're in now.

It's not 'safe' that bothers me, even though it seems the 'safe' guys never really do anything (and not just the ones we draft). It's the cheap part that upsets me. Having a shot at Ranaudo, who despite a crummy season is a lot safer long term that a so-so college talent like Loux, but passing because he may cost an incremental difference of half a season of Mark Teahen's contract...that is infuriating. I understand the organization may be gun shy after the Borchard debacle, but that was a decade ago! (Not to mention the pick--while a flop--will ultimately net us at least 6 cheap years of Matt Thornton.)

Our farm is bare, the top 3 guys from last year are hurt, and the major league team is a disaster. Time for a new strategy. We need to get some top talent in even if we-gasp-go over slot.