2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:50 AM)
So what's the scoop on Stetson Allie? I did read somewhere that he could possibly slip to the 2nd round despite possessing first round talent. It just doesn't appear that he will be able to stick as a starter. Broxton is a pretty easy comparison.

All I know is he has an amazing scouting video. I bet he goes towards the end of the first round, with a possibility the Cubs take him if O'Connor goes to the Mets.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
All I know is he has an amazing scouting video. I bet he goes towards the end of the first round, with a possibility the Cubs take him if O'Connor goes to the Mets.

Yup. I've seen a couple of them. You don't have to be much of a talent evaluator to see Jonathan Broxton all over this kid.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
My point is the organization needs talent, not projects.

But isn't the definition of a project the "high risk-high reward" player for which many are asking?

If you don't want projects, you want the safe pick.

Is there a chance in hell Christian Colon slips to the supp. picks or is he a forgone 1st rounder? I've been up and down with him, but it would be really nice to draft a shortstop to build with Beckham. I doubt we pick O'Connor who I know Joe likes alot and I'm starting to jump on the bandwagon too. I would rather us draft a position player this year in the 1st and a pitcher in a stronger draft next year in the 1st, but thats just me.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:37 AM)
Is there a chance in hell Christian Colon slips to the supp. picks or is he a forgone 1st rounder? I've been up and down with him, but it would be really nice to draft a shortstop to build with Beckham. I doubt we pick O'Connor who I know Joe likes alot and I'm starting to jump on the bandwagon too. I would rather us draft a position player this year in the 1st and a pitcher in a stronger draft next year in the 1st, but thats just me.

Watched Colon yesterday, and he really impressed me. Sounds like he might go higher than expected. If we want him, have to take him with the 13 pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
Watched Colon yesterday, and he really impressed me. Sounds like he might go higher than expected. If we want him, have to take him with the 13 pick.

I like him alot too, but then at times he scares me when I do watch him. I think he is legit enough to stick at SS with his range however. I would MUCH rather us take a position player with our 1st round pick instead of a pitcher though. Take your pitcher next season in a stronger draft, not to mention we already have a rotation of youth for a while. I would say draft someone to try and pair with Beckham and go with a LHP (high school or college) in the supp. rounds unless we suck so much next year, that a stud position player will fall to us anyways, but next year's draft is so deep you couldn't go wrong either way.

Edited by SoxAce

This mock draft has Wimmers and Workman in the 20's, and the Sox taking a high school SS.

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft-2010

I don't know, man. Here's what I think:

1. Harper-Was

2. Taillon- Pit

3. Machado-Bal

4. Grandal-KC

5. Pomeranz-Cle

6. Harvey- Arz

7. O'Conner- NYM

8. Sale-Hou

9. Choice- SD

10. Colon- Oak

11. Cox- Tor

12. McGuire- Cin

The Sox? No clue. I hope it's not a pitcher. Take a shot at a bat, and worry about pitching from rounds 2-8, or whatever.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
Z. Cox is falling right now. Having a lefty hitting 3rd baseman ready in about 3 years would really suck, wouldn't it?

The kid wants Alvarez type-money. I wish i had any confidence that we'd take a guy like him or Raunaudo.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:54 AM)
Z. Cox is falling right now. Having a lefty hitting 3rd baseman ready in about 3 years would really suck, wouldn't it?
Well he's supposedly after Pedro Alvarez money. No way he's worth that. Great hit tool but the power's not so good and no guarantee he can stick at 3B.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
This mock draft has Wimmers and Workman in the 20's, and the Sox taking a high school SS.

I would LOVE Castellanos. He, Colon or O'Connor would make me happy. I HOPE the sox take a position player with their 1st pick, but I just don't see it happening in any way, shape or form so I'm slowly dieing to our next pitcher Wojo, Workman or Wimmers. Prove me wrong sox!

(BTW, if Whitson falls that far in the draft, and we don't take him, I'm going to be pissed)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
There's no way that the A's take Cox if he wants that kind of money. He will fall. And if he really wants that kind of money, he might be seeing a Denard Span-like plummet down a lot of boards.

There are gonna be a few prospects that fall, believe me. I still got Austin Wilson falling to the second, possibly third round in my personal mock.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)
I would LOVE Castellanos. He, Colon or O'Connor would make me happy. I HOPE the sox take a position player with their 1st pick, but I just don't see it happening in any way, shape or form so I'm slowly dieing to our next pitcher Wojo, Workman or Wimmers. Prove me wrong sox!

(BTW, if Whitson falls that far in the draft, and we don't take him, I'm going to be pissed)

There are gonna be a few prospects that fall, believe me. I still got Austin Wilson falling to the second, possibly third round in my personal mock.

I just met a kid named Nick Castellanos.

He's pretty cool, and I want the prospect one.

If it's not Wilson or Ranaudo or Castellanos, I'll probably be bummed.

So it has to be Castellanos.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:33 AM)
For the later rounds, i'd like to get Michael Olt a 3b from Uconn, and i'd be fine with taking Ozney after the 5th. Speaking of Ozney. Ozzie doesn't want the Sox to draft him as a favor, he wants the team to draft him for his talent. http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...my-kid-as-favor

Jacoby Jones is one of my favourites for the 2nd to 5th round range. He's a Boras guy and will probably be looking for a big bonus so I certainly don't expect the Sox to take him. But nevertheless, he'll be someone that I'll follow throughout his career.

Ozney after the 10th maybe. You can still get some pretty good players in the 5-10 round range and it doesn't sound like Ozney is anything special.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:47 AM)
I am on the Shipers, Tillman and Guy bandwagon for later picks. I also like Brown as a supp. to second/third pick for us.

Guy? I have no idea who Guy is. Also you're aware we don't have a supplemental 1st rounder this year, right?

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)

I don't know, man. Here's what I think:

1. Harper-Was

2. Taillon- Pit

3. Machado-Bal

4. Grandal-KC

5. Pomeranz-Cle

6. Harvey- Arz

7. O'Conner- NYM

8. Sale-Hou

9. Choice- SD

10. Colon- Oak

11. Cox- Tor

12. McGuire- Cin

The Sox? No clue. I hope it's not a pitcher. Take a shot at a bat, and worry about pitching from rounds 2-8, or whatever.

I'll be f***ing pissed if the Red Sox get Ranaudo and Wilson.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)
Guy? I have no idea who Guy is. Also you're aware we don't have a supplemental 1st rounder this year, right?

Cobey Guy. A senior who plays for a small school, Wichita State. Huge sleeper with big potential (though needs another pitch to become a SP which probably won't happen). Here is alittle scouting report on him.

SR RHP Cobey Guy (2010) has some serious sleeper potential. His low-90s fastball and above-average slider give him the two strong pitch base that any good reliever needs. Guy’s swing-and-miss stuff has worked at every level (starting at Arkansas Fort Smith, relieving in limited innings last year at Wichita State), striking out 196 batters in just 154 innings pitched. If he can quickly lay claim to a key spot in the Wichita pen, then the exposure could help scouts take notice of his raw stuff and get him picked late this June.

I saw him pitch against Evansville, and I was blown away. Good stuff. At worst, he becomes a solid set-up man in the future, possible closer. (actually maybe "at worst" would be a solid middle reliever... but regardless, would love to nab him in the later rounds)

And no I was not aware we didn't have a supp. pick. If I was I wouldn't have kept mentioning it without someone correcting me for weeks now. <_>

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
For those curious, The Sox pick at 13, 63, 95, 114, 128 and so on...

Thanks thunderbolt. Commin through in the clutch! You (or anyone) got the time the draft is gonna be? I unfortunately won't be on the computer till around 4-6 CT (and not again till about 10 pm or so), so I won't give any insight this year like in past years (or in rare cases for myself, might be a good thing to not look like an idiot in 2-5 years. :lol:) till that time probably.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:40 AM)
Thanks thunderbolt. Commin through in the clutch! You (or anyone) got the time the draft is gonna be? I unfortunately won't be on the computer till around 4-6 CT (and not again till about 10 pm or so), so I won't give any insight this year like in past years (or in rare cases for myself, might be a good thing to not look like an idiot in 2-5 years. :lol:) till that time probably.

It begins at 6PM Central.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 06:40 AM)
Cobey Guy. A senior who plays for a small school, Wichita State. Huge sleeper with big potential (though needs another pitch to become a SP which probably won't happen). Here is alittle scouting report on him.

I saw him pitch against Evansville, and I was blown away. Good stuff. At worst, he becomes a solid set-up man in the future, possible closer. (actually maybe "at worst" would be a solid middle reliever... but regardless, would love to nab him in the later rounds)

And no I was not aware we didn't have a supp. pick. If I was I wouldn't have kept mentioning it without someone correcting me for weeks now. <_>

It's only the first 50 picks today. So you won't miss much.