2010 MLB Draft Catch All

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
Right theory, wrong poster. There's definitely a few around here that I think get a kick out of the Sox struggles. But fathom ain't one of them.

Thanks J4L. I'm vocal when the Sox lose, but I'm around here win or lose. I love talking about the White Sox, etc. but I can't control how many posts there are to respond to, which happens to be significantly less when we do win.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a really odd draft. Last year a lot of us wanted Rex Brothers, while it was pretty clear that the organization was heading in the Jared Mitchell direction. This year it's up in the air. If we're going to take a "safe" pitcher, i want Workman. If we're going for a bat, i want Castellanos.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
This is a really odd draft. Last year a lot of us wanted Rex Brothers, while it was pretty clear that the organization was heading in the Jared Mitchell direction. This year it's up in the air. If we're going to take a "safe" pitcher, i want Workman. If we're going for a bat, i want Castellanos.

I really wanted Brothers. But not in the first round. Looks like he's going the route of set-up man, closer. You don't use first round picks on relievers. I don't care how talented they are.

Guys, I look forward to following the draft coverage on FS while I'm away on my honeymoon. I never miss the draft but I look forward to reading the threads while I'm in line at the Louvre, etc, haha.

So here's to one awesome draft!!!!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
I really wanted Brothers. But not in the first round. Looks like he's going the route of set-up man, closer. You don't use first round picks on relievers. I don't care how talented they are.

I wanted him when i thought he could start. As the draft got closer and it being pretty clear he was headed for the pen my enthusiasm lessened. I still really like the Mitchell pick.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
I wanted him when i thought he could start. As the draft got closer and it being pretty clear he was headed for the pen my enthusiasm lessened. I still really like the Mitchell pick.

That happened? I don't remember it personally. There was some mild talk of scouts wanting to move him to the pen because his delivery wasn't all that smooth, but with two plus pitches and the ability to hold velocity deep into the game, the consensus seemed that he would be a starter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
How many of these college players do you/we actually get to see play? I doubt anyone on here has seen Loux pitch, and after seeing him in the first inning, all I was saying is that I hope Workman/Wojo are better than he is (especially given his injury background).

I actually saw Loux pitch last week in the Big 12 tournament. Not in person, but online video. He destroyed Mizzou twice this year. He's a strike out machine. I'm not sure he's a top 15 pick, but if the Sox were picking 25-35 I'd love him in that range. There's a couple arms I like better than him, but wouldn't be upset if the Sox took him at 13. I saw him in person last year, but wasn't thrilled. He didn't make it out of the 5th.

He finished with 129 pitches in 8 innings today...and that wasn't even his season high for pitches. Typically sat in the high 80s which I'm sure would make everyone here hate the pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
A question to ponder: if Grandal falls on draft day due to some of the uber-talented tough signs being picked high (Wilson, Karsten, Allie), do the Sox take him?

Uh huh

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
A question to ponder: if Grandal falls on draft day due to some of the uber-talented tough signs being picked high (Wilson, Karsten, Allie), do the Sox take him?

Supposedly he's asking for Buster Posey money which would presumably price him away from the White Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)

• Sudden change of direction in Chicago has the White Sox on Yasmani Grandal at No. 13. He could fall there if ...

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=m...%26id%3d5252652

I'm poor. No idea what the rest says.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
What the heck? When it comes to the draft, I'm much more optimistic. I was all over Beckham and Mitchell the last two seasons, in a good way.

I'll back you too fathom even though I know J4L already did. Me, fathom and DBAH0 were all over the Beckham bandwagon. I didn't want Mitchell as much however.

And yes I was a big Brothers fan in the later rounds, and really, really wanted Tim Melville. Now I'm with Jason on the Gary Brown bandwagon as a supp. pick or if he falls to the second/third round :pray as well as Shipers, Tillman and Guy.

Edited by SoxAce

Wow, I hadn't even seen the draft rumbling about Grandal. That's great news if true. Reds are a threat to take Grandal, but I have a feeling they'll look at pitching. They took a catcher high in the draft a few years ago that's playing better (Morasco, I believe his name is).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Wow, I hadn't even seen the draft rumbling about Grandal. That's great news if true. Reds are a threat to take Grandal, but I have a feeling they'll look at pitching. They took a catcher high in the draft a few years ago that's playing better (Morasco, I believe his name is).

I like Grandal better than the majority of the college position players slated for the 1st round.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)

The Reds have had some iffy drafts lately, but I don't think they will take a pitcher. I pretty much think Chapman was their 1st round pick pretty much this off-season (similar to what many thought Viciedo was for us) and they have a solid core of young arms currently. They can get greedy however and like I said before, some of their picks were pretty much questioned by alot of people. I still think they would be smart to take a position player. (Colon, for example, would look awfully good for them going forward)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)

Devin Mesoraco, and yeah, he's having a great year.