5/18 Games

flavum

Retherford 2B 4 1 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 .225

Danks, Jor CF 4 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .234

Viciedo 1B 4 1 2 1 0 0 0 0 1 .294

Viciedo almost up to .300, Danks climbing, CJ finally with another 2 hit game.

Hudson, D 5.0 8 5 5 2 8 1 5.36

Whisler 2.0 1 0 0 3 1 0 6.41

Hudson hit pretty hard.

Short RF 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .388

Escobar SS 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .269

Gilmore 3B 4 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 .355

Lewis DH 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 .341

Sierra 2B 3 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 .295

Greene CF 3 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 .328

Leesman with a very good game, 7 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 2 K's

Colligan LF 3 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 2 .272

Shoemaker, B DH 3 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 .306

Thompson, T CF 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 .220

Gonzalez, Mi C 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .219

Vera 3B 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 .267

Thompson seriously slumping, 3 K's in 3 AB's. Not unexpected. We knew he'd go through his peaks and valleys this year.

2nd game, Thompson 1/1 with a R, 2 BB's, that's better.

Now at .228.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
Jake Rasner with the start - wonder if that was a one-time deal or if they are converting.

He started most of last year. I don't think it's a big deal. He's moved back and forth before.

Viciedo .303 overall. OPS .873. K rate still falling (like I said it would). He's outperforming the preseason top 2 (Hudson/Flowers) while being 2 years younger than both (technically a day short of 2 years younger than Hudson, but whatever). He's my vote for top prospect.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 18, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
Viciedo .303 overall. OPS .873. K rate still falling (like I said it would). He's outperforming the preseason top 2 (Hudson/Flowers) while being 2 years younger than both (technically a day short of 2 years younger than Hudson, but whatever). He's my vote for top prospect.

With Mitchell out, Viciedo seems to be sitting in the #1 spot by a decent margin right now.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 18, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)

We both have been on his bandwagon for a good year now. He was both of our top prospects last year when most people here were slurping Flowers/Hudson.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 18, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)
We both have been on his bandwagon for a good year now. He was both of our top prospects last year when most people here were slurping Flowers/Hudson.

It was hard to defend Viciedo over those two last year. I was starting to doubt early this year. Look at him now. He's killing the ball.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 19, 2010 -> 12:38 AM)
It was hard to defend Viciedo over those two last year. I was starting to doubt early this year. Look at him now. He's killing the ball.

No doubt. I'm still one of Hudson's biggest fans BTW.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
I'd still pick Hudson over Viciedo. Even when he's struggled like his last start, he's missing a lot of bats. And the guy was rushed through. I don't see the 3 bad starts this season for Hudson as a reason to drop him below Viciedo - yet.

I don't know if it'd be Hudson being dropped as much as the 21 year old racing the Hell past him.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 19, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
So he can hit AAA pitching, and hit it quite well; what's next? Take Gordo's spot at 2b?

Give him a few months more in AAA at the least. If he keeps raking and the big league team keeps tanking, it's entirely plausible to imagine a 1b opening appearing on the big league team in July. Bringing him up, even if he struggles, won't cost him an arbitration year at that point. If somehow the big league team turns it around, then I have no issues at all with having him in AAA the whole year, and even with trying to find someone to bring in on a 1 year deal next year as a LH first baseman to take some time at the positin.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 19, 2010 -> 12:38 AM)

I thought considering his age and the raw talent that he had coming in, I don't know if I would call it a "bidding war" but it's not like the White Sox were the only team pursuing him, it wasn't that hard to defend him... he always had his age and adjusting to a new country (and apparently dietary options!) going for him.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
Primarily

good to hear, would obviously be great if he could work out at 3b, but also having a cost effective alternative at 1b isn't a terrible thing either, and it sounds like that is where he's more suited

BTW I have heard (actually read on Milb last week) that they are tweaking Hudson's mechanics a bit, like they did with Peavy, which would account for the slightly inconsistent outings. He still had 8 K's last night so I see no cause for worry. As a whole the starters are settling in some what; bullpen is in shambles (Whisler did have a good outing last night).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
I don't know if it'd be Hudson being dropped as much as the 21 year old racing the Hell past him.

Exactly. Hudson is more of a sure thing than Viciedo, but the upside isn't quite the same.

QUOTE (soxbsbllvr @ May 19, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
BTW I have heard (actually read on Milb last week) that they are tweaking Hudson's mechanics a bit, like they did with Peavy, which would account for the slightly inconsistent outings. He still had 8 K's last night so I see no cause for worry. As a whole the starters are settling in some what; bullpen is in shambles (Whisler did have a good outing last night).

Interesting. Good info. Thanks :)