Ozzie calls for closed door meeting.

DaveBrown85

Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen called for a closed-door meeting Wednesday before the Sox hosted the Los Angeles Angels.

A.J. Pierzynski said on "The Afternoon Saloon" that he didn't know what the meeting was about.

Stay tuned here for further details.

People(Bacon) getting sent down? Or is he just trying to get them fired up?

Kinda interesting there's only been one real trade rumor so far this season, and that was involving AJP. You would have thought that Buehrle/Konerko/Jenks, etc. were having their names thrown around to prospective teams with meetings like this. Almost seems like KW is trying to convince himself not to give up.

Here is what was posted on ESPN Chicago:

Chicago White Sox general manager Ken Williams held a closed-door meeting before Wednesday's game against the Los Angeles Angels.

Among the topics he discussed were:

His door is always open.

He remains firmly behind his coaching staff and players.

Although he has received calls, he hasn't initiated any trade talks.

He still feels the White Sox can be a winning team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox

I think the Sox could be a winning team if they got a full time DH that can consistently hit

Kinda interesting there's only been one real trade rumor so far this season, and that was involving AJP. You would have thought that Buehrle/Konerko/Jenks, etc. were having their names thrown around to prospective teams with meetings like this. Almost seems like KW is trying to convince himself not to give up.

How many significant trades have been made before June in modern baseball history? Not flaming would just like to be educated on that. I guess if some team thought they just had to have one of our guys they'd be smart to make offers early. I can't imagine there being any hurry to get any of these guys except maybe Mark or Konerko. Do the Phils need a closer? Maybe they would make a call about Jenks.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ May 19, 2010 -> 06:51 PM)
team needs stop pressing and let game come to them. They start having some fun then so will winning.

That's not how it works. A lot of teams have a hell of a lot of fun with each other, that doesn't bridge any meaningful talent gap.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)

This is Kenny Williams we are talking about. We should all know by now the guys who are most likely to be dealt are the guys no one is talking about. Depending on the rumor mill to figure out Kenny is kinda like waiting until it starts raining to buy a raincoat. It is too late already.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 19, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
That's not how it works. A lot of teams have a hell of a lot of fun with each other, that doesn't bridge any meaningful talent gap.

However, it's talented players like CQ, Beckham, Floyd who are performing poorly. In many cases relaxing a little and not pressing will help.

Baseball is a game where increased intensity and getting too fired up can hurt a player. Sometimes that's what players need and that's why Ozzie continues to talk about "nobody being the man" and putting too much pressure on themselves.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 20, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
However, it's talented players like CQ, Beckham, Floyd who are performing poorly. In many cases relaxing a little and not pressing will help.

Baseball is a game where increased intensity and getting too fired up can hurt a player. Sometimes that's what players need and that's why Ozzie continues to talk about "nobody being the man" and putting too much pressure on themselves.

I imagine it’s hard to relax when you’re 7.5 games back, and your manager’s liable to go berserk in the press at any moment. This is the same argument as chemistry. Chemistry is great and players don’t press when you’re winning, we’re not winning. Therefore, we’re pressing? It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. We had some fun personalities in 2008 too, that changed rather quickly after Toronto when these players realized they’d have to shut up and then put up.

Beckham looked relaxed on that deep drive to right center that got caught. He looked relaxed but horrific on that tapper to the mound.

Poor Beckham.

A good hitter gets hits three of 10 at bats.

That's not many. When he does hit the ball hard it never finds a hole this year.

Well they tried the team meeting thing.

And we lose.

There's not much left to do. The only thing left is Oz turning over the dinner table in the locker room some night and I don't think he's done that yet in his tenure, has he?

The going ballistic thing I am thinking is not Ozzie's thing.

Where's Peavy in all this? I thought he was Mr. Intense. Could he erupt and cause a good scene in the locker room?

Paulie has never been one to call anybody out or knock over tables of food.

and how bout murphy's law. he plays nix instead of the sieve teahen and nix makes the poor throw. woe is us.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 19, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
KW said that all of the White Sox coaching jobs are safe. Rogers speculates that KW will take the fall before anyone else.http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0520-bits-white-sox-angels-los20100519,0,1873756.story

If that is the case, I'm sorry to say that I'd be willing to fire Williams in order to get to the coaching staff.

We win oneand get a few runs and hits and the press starts saying there are signs of breaking out of this slump and then we follow it up with a 2 run dismal performance by the offesne again. Win one and lose one (or two) doesn't compute into a run at the Twinkies