Conservatives and the ACLU

Texsox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
Boy you just love doing that.

Didn't say that. I highlighted the Mexican holiday part. That should have zero relevance to the previous poster's point about students wearing Mexican colors/flags/etc being seen in the same way. It's the equivalent of Americans wearing red, white and blue and american flags on July 4th in other countries. Why should that date have any significance to them? In fact, i'm sure it would go over real well in England.

What about people wearing green on St. Patrick's Day?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
I don't think England or British people in general are still upset about the colonies, but I could be wrong.

Cinco de Mayo isn't a Mexican holiday. It's celebrated in the US and one province there.

Yep, basically a made up thing to get consumers to buy Mexican beer and eat in Mexican restaurants.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
What about people wearing green on St. Patrick's Day?

And how many people wearing green on that day can tell you anything about why they are doing it other than that it may get them a free beer at the corner bar or something that day. It has turned into just another excuse to drink.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
And how many people wearing green on that day can tell you anything about why they are doing it other than that it may get them a free beer at the corner bar or something that day. It has turned into just another excuse to drink.

Amongst middle schoolers?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
What about it?

Just that it's a different day promoting the history and ethnicity of another group and we seem to have little issue with people of all ages acknowledging it by wearing certain colors or by discussing related events in classes.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
So, there's no benefit to American students to understand the history of other countries/cultures?

There is a difference between a school sanctioned event, and the actions of students. If a teacher told their students to dress for Cinco De Mayo, so that they could tie it into a history lesson, it would be one thing. If it is a bunch of kids just doing something on their own, no it probably doesn't have any more benefit than the kid wearing the BilaBong shirt, and probably less if it causes big problems in a classroom or hallway setting.

here's the solution: our society stops being PC p*****s about EVERYTHING and then this crap wouldn't happen. You think middle school hispanic kids gave a flying f*** what these idiots were doing? But now that there's a major uproar over it we just gave kids the incentive (attention) to be a bunch of teenage assholes.

This country makes me so f'n sick sometimes with having to appease EVERYONE about EVERYTHING. Can't we just go one day where someone gets direspected and instead of crying like a bunch if p*****s we just say "ya know what, EVERYONE gets disrespected about SOMETHING. That's life. Shut up and deal."

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
here's the solution: our society stops being PC p*****s about EVERYTHING and then this crap wouldn't happen. You think middle school hispanic kids gave a flying f*** what these idiots were doing? But now that there's a major uproar over it we just gave kids the incentive (attention) to be a bunch of teenage assholes.

This country makes me so f'n sick sometimes with having to appease EVERYONE about EVERYTHING. Can't we just go one day where someone gets direspected and instead of crying like a bunch if p*****s we just say "ya know what, EVERYONE gets disrespected about SOMETHING. That's life. Shut up and deal."

Or people could quit being selfish assholes about everything. That would work too.

This post is even better when read next to your avatar. It looks like Hillary is yelling your post at me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Just that it's a different day promoting the history and ethnicity of another group and we seem to have little issue with people of all ages acknowledging it by wearing certain colors or by discussing related events in classes.

Is it though? Seems as if it's mostly a day promoting drinking and parades (not unlike Cinco de Mayo). And for the record, I have no problem with either day. But I also have zero problem with what the students did as well.

I have to agree, a healthy dose of tolerance would go a long way.

Apparently these kids did actually care, that's why the administration acted quickly to diffuse it. Only to get the uproar from a bunch of people saying" Whater you can't wear AMERICAN SHIRTS in AMERICA ANYMORE AHREOAUREALRF"

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 24, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
Boy you just love doing that.

Didn't say that. I highlighted the Mexican holiday part. That should have zero relevance to the previous poster's point about students wearing Mexican colors/flags/etc being seen in the same way. It's the equivalent of Americans wearing red, white and blue and american flags on July 4th in other countries. Why should that date have any significance to them? In fact, i'm sure it would go over real well in England.

I went trolling in a UK chat room once when I was still an obnoxious teenager and most of them had no idea what the hell I was talking about, lol. Somebody eventually went "oh, I think that's their independence day over there" and they thought I was being friendly and told me happy independence day. Trolling attempt = fail.

I'm kind of reminded of reading about how Marge Schott said she didn't understand why saying "Japs" was offensive. It doesn't work that way, something is offensive because people are actually offended by it. Then you can't just turn around and say something about "politically correct freedom of speech" (no such thing btw and if someone disagrees with me I would like them to show me where they are supported in the actual text of the 1st Amendment) when someone faces consequences for being an asshole/racist/etc.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 29, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
I'm kind of reminded of reading about how Marge Schott said she didn't understand why saying "Japs" was offensive. It doesn't work that way, something is offensive because people are actually offended by it. Then you can't just turn around and say something about "politically correct freedom of speech" (no such thing btw and if someone disagrees with me I would like them to show me where they are supported in the actual text of the 1st Amendment) when someone faces consequences for being an asshole/racist/etc.

you have no entitlement to 'never be offended'. you have no special government protections to block free speech that offends you. the governments role is not to enforce 'do not offend' policies. the consequences of offending people is that you are seen as a jackass, you lose business, you lose respect, or get ignored. the consequence is not a public policy mandate to block benign things that offend dumbasses.

The Marge Schott example is a good one, as MLB has every right to fine her or whatever they did. The government does not have the right to swoop in and force MLB's hand to fine her. See the difference here? Being offensive is not consequence free.

ps

actually i just re-read your post, and i think this is kind of what you were getting at. can't totally tell though.

Edited by mr_genius