Do we need a 5th Starter?

RibbieRubarb

Now I have always wanted us to go after someone for the 5th spot. But after looking at our upcoming schedule and counting the days off I predict we'll on'y use that starter for 5 starts, maybe 6.

Is that enough to send away more prospects for a Jeff Suppan?

Now if it was Kelvim Escobar...maybe, because he could easily go into the bullpen for playoff time and be REALLY effective.

But still...it is needed? Or is another hard-throwing set-up man needed to solidify that bullpen and make it 6 inning games.

Guest hotsoxchick1

with the yanks and bo sox comin up and more of minny and kc.. there is nothing easy about the remainder of the schedule..... yeah we need a 5th... why wear out the arms...another starter would be beneficial to ensure that the guys get good and rested......dont know if suppan is the answer or not, but a 5th would be nice to have around.......

Now I have always wanted us to go after someone for the 5th spot. But after looking at our upcoming schedule and counting the days off I predict we'll on'y use that starter for 5 starts, maybe 6.

Now if it was Kelvim Escobar...maybe, because he could easily go into the bullpen for playoff time and be REALLY effective.

But still...it is needed? Or is another hard-throwing set-up man needed to solidify that bullpen and make it 6 inning games.

U make a very good point. I've checked to and the 5th starter would only pitch about 5 more times. But with what we have now that could mean 5 losses...If we were up 5-6 gms and in 1st place we could probably afford to lose those gms. But being behind we have to atleast give ourselves a chance to win every time out. And don't forget if we do get a quality 5th guy and make the playoffs we could use him in the pen as well...

They need one but if KW says the price it too high, everyone knows the price is too high. If one of the 4 starters misses a start or two the Sox would be in serious trouble with no one to fall back on.

Yeah man..I read about that too. U probably got gm's askin for guys like Cotts or Reed. We can't totally suck the farm system dry this year. If we have to we can win with what we've got...I feel real confident about this team right now....

U make a very good point. I've checked to and the 5th starter would only pitch about 5 more times. But with what we have now that could mean 5 losses...If we were up 5-6 gms and in 1st place we could probably afford to lose those gms. But being behind we have to atleast give ourselves a chance to win every time out. And don't forget if we do get a quality 5th guy and make the playoffs we could use him in the pen as well...

How did you come up with 5 more times? I have:

Aug 2nd

12th

17th

30th

Sep 7th

12th

20th

25th

That's 8, how did you figure so differently?

Aug 2nd

12th

17th

30th

Sep 7th

12th

20th

25th

I don't think u factored in off days....

Aug 2nd

12th

17th

30th

Sep 7th

12th

20th

25th

Yes, that's with off days, remember off days don't neccesarily mean the 5th starter gets bumped.

Aug 2nd

12th

17th

30th

Sep 7th

12th

20th

25th

Yes, that's with off days, remember off days don't neccesarily mean the 5th starter gets bumped.

lol...with us that's exactly what it means....

I figured 5 times without any starters going on short rest or 4 times if one of the starters goes on three days rest only once.

Aug. 12, 17, 22, Sept. 9 or 13 (depending on how they set the rotation) and a date in late September.

All of the other dates can be filled by the four starters with their normal rest.

Work with us here UNS.

I figured 5 times without any starters going on short rest or 4 times if one of the starters goes on three days rest only once. 

Aug. 12, 17, 22, Sept. 9 or 13 (depending on how they set the rotation) and a date in late September. 

All of the other dates can be filled by the four starters with their normal rest.

Work with us here UNS.

Those dates are: at Anaheim, at Texas, Texas, either Minnesota (9th) or at Boston (13) and then likely either home against KC or the Yankees.

the fifth starter wouldn't get skipped, his starts will just be pushed back, so instead of the fifth guy going on four days rest, he may pitch on six days rest.

in the end, that will cut out about 3-4 starts.

we will need a fifth starter exactly 9 times the rest of the season.

something interesting to note is the fact that we had two postphoned games against the Indians this year but only made up one of those games, meaning the Sox will play the Indians on the last day of the season IF it has any implications on the standings.

IF we end up facing the Indians, Buehrle would be scheduled to pitch. here is the remaining schedule and probables.

29-July Garland

30-July Loaiza

1-Aug Colon

2-Aug UD

3-Aug Buehrle

4-Aug Garland

5-Aug Loaiza

6-Aug Colon

7-Aug OFF

8-Aug Buehrle

9-Aug Garland

10-Aug Loaiza

11-Aug UD

12-Aug Colon

13-Aug Buehrle

14-Aug Garland

15-Aug Loaiza

16-Aug UD

17-Aug Colon

18-Aug Buehrle

19-Aug Garland

20-Aug Loaiza

21-Aug UD

22-Aug Colon

23-Aug Buehrle

24-Aug Garland

25-Aug OFF

26-Aug Loaiza

27-Aug Colon

28-Aug Buehrle

29-Aug Garland

30-Aug UD

31-Aug Loaiza

SEPTEMBER

1-SEP OFF

2-SEP Colon

3-SEP Buehrle

4-SEP OFF

5-SEP Garland

6-SEP Loaiza

7-SEP Colon

8-SEP Buehrle

9-SEP UD

10-SEP Garland

11-SEP Loaiza

12-SEP Colon

13-SEP Buehrle

14-SEP UD

15-SEP OFF

16-SEP Garland

17-SEP Loaiza

18-SEP Colon

19-SEP Buehrle

20-SEP UD

21-SEP Garland

22-SEP Loaiza

23-SEP Colon

24-SEP Buehrle

25-SEP UD

26-SEP Garland

27-SEP Loaiza

28-SEP Colon

Yes we need a fifth starter. But not someone like Ponson. We just need an inning eater like Jarvis that will come very cheap. Our starting four guys are rock solid, and we wont pitch the fifth guy in the playoffs. Theres absolutely no need to give up good prospects for a guy that will pitch 5 or so more games.

Thanks Molto for saving me the time of figuring that out, hopefully Colon won't need to pitch on the 28th so they can save him for game 1.

So why is it when the Sox say they will only need a 5th starter 5 times, you guys know better??

Do I have do go game by game and show you how this works??

only way Sox use a fifth man five times is if their starters go on three days rest here and there.

also, once during this stretch their four man guys will be going on five days rest because of two days off in a five day period. no way to avoid that.

only way Sox use a fifth man five times is if their starters go on three days rest here and there.

also, once during this stretch their four man guys will be going on five days rest because of two days off in a five day period.  no way to avoid that.

You don't think down the stretch if it is close they will use a couple of guys on 3 days rest once or twice? Hell yeah, they will. Especially with the off days. I can see possibly 6 times needing a 5th starter depending on how they want to play it. But if they are in a race, they are going to throw their best guys out there. Hence the reason this whole argument started is that the Sox were the ones that were quoted that they would only use the 5th starter that many times.

If the Sox build a lead, then sure, you let the 5th guy go more often. But if it stays close to the wire, look for them to run their big guns out there more often.

the two times you will need to put a guy on three days rest will be against the royals as the other series' the fifth man will be going up against weaker teams. against the royals, if we were to move a guy on three days rest, it would be Jon Garland. do we want Garland going on three days rest back to back starts?

we'd have to reconfigure the rotation in the early part of September for that. if that were the case, Loaiza and Garland would have to be switched like I have it here.

AUG OPP PROJ SP

1-Aug at SEA Colon

2-Aug at SEA UD

3-Aug at SEA Buehrle

4-Aug vs KC Garland

5-Aug vs KC Loaiza

6-Aug vs KC Colon

7-Aug OFF OFF

8-Aug vs OAK Buehrle

9-Aug vs OAK Garland

10-Aug vs OAK Loaiza

11-Aug at ANH UD

12-Aug at ANH Colon

13-Aug at ANH Buehrle

14-Aug at ANH Garland

15-Aug at TEX Loaiza

16-Aug at TEX UD

17-Aug at TEX Colon

18-Aug vs ANH Buehrle

19-Aug vs ANH Garland

20-Aug vs ANH Loaiza

21-Aug vs TEX UD

22-Aug vs TEX Colon

23-Aug vs TEX Buehrle

24-Aug vs TEX Garland

25-Aug OFF OFF

26-Aug at NYY Loaiza

27-Aug at NYY Colon

28-Aug at NYY Buehrle

29-Aug at DET Garland

30-Aug at DET UD

31-Aug at DET Loaiza

SEP

1-Sep OFF OFF

2-Sep vs BOS Colon

3-Sep vs BOS Buehrle

4-Sep OFF OFF

5-Sep vs CLE Loaiza

6-Sep vs CLE Garland

7-Sep vs CLE UD

8-Sep vs MIN Colon

9-Sep vs MIN Buehrle

10-Sep vs MIN Loaiza

11-Sep vs MIN Garland

12-Sep at BOS Colon

13-Sep at BOS Buehrle

14-Sep at BOS UD

15-Sep OFF OFF

16-Sep at MIN Loaiza

17-Sep at MIN Garland

18-Sep at MIN Colon

19-Sep vs KC Buehrle

20-Sep vs KC UD

21-Sep vs KC Loaiza

22-Sep vs NYY Garland

23-Sep vs NYY Colon

24-Sep vs NYY Buehrle

25-Sep at KC UD

26-Sep at KC Loaiza

27-Sep at KC Garland

28-Sep at KC Colon

point is, putting men on three days rest is fine, once in a while. under the sox plan, they will have a couple guys on three days rest in the last week. would be very hard to do.

outside of that, the fifth man will be facing teams like the Rangers, Angels, Tigers and Indians. if we can't find a way to beat teams like that down the stretch no matter who is pitching, we wouldn't deserve to make it to the playoffs.

We're gonna need another reliver with the way Jerry's gonna handle it. ANOTHER LEFTY?????? JM will make more moves then he did before and this bullpen will be run down AGAIN. I personally dont think we need a 5th starter. I'm all for the 4 man rotation. The 5th starter waters down baseball IMO. And i think starters get too much rest now. :bringit