Does the recent success of Ely and Gio Gonzalez

caulfield12

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:45 PM)
You say it like he was with the Sox for 5+ years and never produced. He had one down season. It happens. The Sox would be a much better offense with Nick Swisher a part of it right now.

Only because Carlos Quentin has been so ungodly bad.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2010 -> 11:49 PM)
Only because Carlos Quentin has been so ungodly bad.

And Pierre has been tearing it up? Jones had a nice first month but he's coming back down to earth now. I'd certainly take Swish over both Pierre and Jones from here on out.

You may not like Swisher due to his poor performance and antics with the club, but let's not pretend that he's not a good player.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
And Pierre has been tearing it up? Jones had a nice first month but he's coming back down to earth now. I'd certainly take Swish over both Pierre and Jones from here on out.

You may not like Swisher due to his poor performance and antics with the club, but let's not pretend that he's not a good player.

I've said it many, many times here. Swisher really got a bad rep when he was here. Dude still put up a .351 OBP when was hitting like .190 (not to mention ridiculously bad luck in BABIP) for us. We'll be extremely fortunate if Pierre can give us a .340-.345 OBP for us.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 24, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
I've said it many, many times here. Swisher really got a bad rep when he was here. Dude still put up a .351 OBP when was hitting like .190 (not to mention ridiculously bad luck in BABIP) for us. We'll be extremely fortunate if Pierre can give us a .340-.345 OBP for us.

Again, this is a classic example of overrating OBP. You aren't going to walk in the winning run from second base. In fact, Swisher being too patient and looking for the walk cost him and the team a lot of important potential hits. Sure, that .350 OBP looks decent. But no matter who you are, a .200 BA isn't going to cut it over the long haul.

Would I take Swisher in LF now and think we traded him too early for nothing? Yes. But it was a dumb trade in acquiring him in the first place. It just isn't smart to give up 3 very talented players for 1 pretty good but not great player.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:10 PM)
Again, this is a classic example of overrating OBP. You aren't going to walk in the winning run from second base. In fact, Swisher being too patient and looking for the walk cost him and the team a lot of important potential hits. Sure, that .350 OBP looks decent. But no matter who you are, a .200 BA isn't going to cut it over the long haul.

It is virtually impossible to ever prove a point to you (or other posters who value batting average) in regards to OBP/OPS/etc over the years so I won't start now. I will say this though, I agree with you in regards to the trade.

Williams acknowledged that they scouted Swisher poorly. From what I remember, they thought they were getting a guy who was basically a quasi Jim Thome, and he is quite clearly a step below that and was 2 or 3 steps below that in his only season with the Sox. Beyond that, his antics did get old and he earned his way into the doghouse and there was no chance of him coming back.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 27, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
Ely is dominating the Cubs right now. 5 IP, 0 R, 1 H. His ERA is down to 2.95, and his WHIP is around 0.94. He has still yet to allow a HR this season....

John Ely is the man.

6 quality starts in a row for ELY

Only 8 earned runs allowed in his last 40 IP.

Amazing 1.80 ERA for that stretch.

Now we all know that Ely and Richard wouldn't be putting up those numbers for the White Sox, but it's frustrating. Obviously without Peavy, we'd have the ability to fill at least two holes (DH/LF-leadoff) on our roster. That still wouldn't cover up for Buehrle and Floyd, though.

I guess theoretically you could argue Floyd would be in the bullpen with the rotation of Danks, Buehrle, Garcia/Hudson, Richard and Ely.

Hindsight, hindsight, hindsight. I know.

But psychologically, things would seem a LOT different with four young pitchers in the starting rotation.

Right now, all we can do is wait for Peavy, Floyd and Buehrle to right themselves.