What would work for this situation

Texsox

I really do not want to carry a full laptop on vacation, but I need to store some video shot from a Flip Cam and perhaps check email, driving directions, etc. I am researching something small, hopefully cheap, and convenient to use. We will be spending some time backpacking and it will be locked up in a trunk for days or a week at a time.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
I really do not want to carry a full laptop on vacation, but I need to store some video shot from a Flip Cam and perhaps check email, driving directions, etc. I am researching something small, hopefully cheap, and convenient to use. We will be spending some time backpacking and it will be locked up in a trunk for days or a week at a time.

Netbook.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
that's what I am thinking. I wish I could just hook up the Flip Cam to an external hard drive.

I think there are hard drives that can do that. I think you just need a hard drive that reads memory cards.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 25, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
I think there are hard drives that can do that. I think you just need a hard drive that reads memory cards.

There is no memory card in the Flip Camera, just a flip out USB connector. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to connect the Flip to my cell phone and use my data connection to upload to a file sharing site. A net book is starting to seem like the answer.

I would really worry about leaving electronics in a hot trunk for days like that, that might do more harm than good. :-/

One of my friends had a similar situation, where he had a camera but had to find a way to store the footage so he can clear up space in the camera so he can film more. What he ended up doing is something you sound like you don't want to do: he lugged his laptop around (well, left it at the hotel) and transferred the data from the computer onto his laptop. :-/

I'm not technology-savvy, but it sounds like it would be a lot easier if you just had one of those cell phones with a camera and internet access so you can send the files from your cell phone to whatever file storage site that allows you to upload mobilly. :-/

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
I would really worry about leaving electronics in a hot trunk for days like that, that might do more harm than good. :-/

One of my friends had a similar situation, where he had a camera but had to find a way to store the footage so he can clear up space in the camera so he can film more. What he ended up doing is something you sound like you don't want to do: he lugged his laptop around (well, left it at the hotel) and transferred the data from the computer onto his laptop. :-/

I'm not technology-savvy, but it sounds like it would be a lot easier if you just had one of those cell phones with a camera and internet access so you can send the files from your cell phone to whatever file storage site that allows you to upload mobilly. :-/

Unless it's turned on, and in direct sunlight/heat, it won't do anything. Computers can operate at pretty insane temperatures these days.