Tensions Grow in Korea

HuskyCaucasian

North Korea 'severs all ties' with Seoul

North Korea is to cut all relations with South Korea, Pyongyang's official news agency reports.

KCNA said the North was also expelling all South Korean workers from a jointly-run factory north of the border.

The move comes after an international report blamed North Korea for sinking a South Korean warship.

Pyongyang denies it torpedoed the Cheonan near the inter-Korean maritime border on 26 March, killing 46 sailors.

South Korea says it plans to refer North Korea to the UN Security Council, and is seeking a unified international response to the incident.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 25, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
I'd actually suggest that the people of NK have a lot to gain - its the NK leadership that has a lot to lose.

Eh, right now NK pretty much is their leadership. Maybe this is the break that changes all of that.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
And for once, if I'm China, I tell them to let 'er rip. They can spend our asses into oblivion now, and they are getting more and more trading partners that isn't the US.

At the end of the day, China can't do much, unless they enjoy their people starving. That and having their dollar reserves become worthless, while they try to buy oil with them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
At the end of the day, China can't do much, unless they enjoy their people starving. That and having their dollar reserves become worthless, while they try to buy oil with them.

That's the only thing that keeps them from doing it. However, it draws closer to the point where they cut bait and let 'er rip. They'll drill off our coast if we won't, don'tcha know. ;)

I just hope that the players in the region have had at least some informal talks at worst as to how to deal with things in NK just simply implodes. China, America, SK and even Japan should be communicating and making deals now, just in case. If NK just implodes, who goes in to secure the nukes? How will China react to troops coming over the DMZ? How will SK and US react to Chinese troops pouring in from the north? I just hope they make some behind the scenes deals here before the s*** hits the fan.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
I'd rather China have those nukes than NK

I'd rather have no one have the nukes.

THEN THE MAN WITH A BOARD WITH A NAIL IN IT WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 27, 2010 -> 07:46 AM)
How will China react to troops coming over the DMZ? How will SK and US react to Chinese troops pouring in from the north?

Considering that most of them will be blown apart by the world's largest minefield...I think they're much more worried about the artillery than ground troops.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2010 -> 08:16 AM)
Considering that most of them will be blown apart by the world's largest minefield...I think they're much more worried about the artillery than ground troops.

I'll say right now that if NK attacks SK, China will not "pour" troops into NK. China will sit that one out, in my view, unless the US takes over NK.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
I'll say right now that if NK attacks SK, China will not "pour" troops into NK. China will sit that one out, in my view, unless the US takes over NK.

Right now, I'm not sure what the strategic thought is on any side, although I hope it exists and has some coordination. Would China really be that badly off if the current South Korean government extended up to their border and they suddenly had a much more open trading partner there? I doubt it. OTOH, China seems excessively concerned about a refugee crisis in that area.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
Right now, I'm not sure what the strategic thought is on any side, although I hope it exists and has some coordination. Would China really be that badly off if the current South Korean government extended up to their border and they suddenly had a much more open trading partner there? I doubt it. OTOH, China seems excessively concerned about a refugee crisis in that area.

I would think China would welcome it, even if they don't publicly state it. I think China likes there being another Communist nation in their neighborhood but I'd have to think if SK was able to "take over" the North and merge that country into one again, they could grow their booming economy even more.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
I would think China would welcome it, even if they don't publicly state it. I think China likes there being another Communist nation in their neighborhood but I'd have to think if SK was able to "take over" the North and merge that country into one again, they could grow their booming economy even more.

Plus they look like a failure if their system fails right on their doorstep.

Meanwhile weapons and ammunition sales reps are gearing up for a great third quarter in sales. The R&D boys are under pressure to come up with something new to gain market share. Mortuary supply companies are printing some extra catalogs. Johnson and Johnson is developing new supplies for the Korean market. Adoption companies are planning on their Christmas "Adopt a Korean Orphan" advertising blitz.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
Plus they look like a failure if their system fails right on their doorstep.

Eh, its not really their system. They are both nominally communist countries, but the similarities stop there. Key word "nominally".

China's desire to help out NK is not that strong, not nearly as strong as the desire to avoid massive military conflict, and to keep their economy running. They won't support NK militarily.