Tensions Grow in Korea

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideologically, are North and South Koreans much different? I'm not talking about the ruling elites but the average citizen. Obviously, those in the North have been subjected to much propaganda (ie. brainwashing) against the South (and the rest of the Western world), but are they much different? Would it even work to unite that country as one again?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
OTOH...I'd agree with you if I couldn't point to an historic example of China deciding to assist North Korea militarily.

During the Korean War? 60 years ago? China is nowhere near the same country they were then, and neither is NK. The terrain has changed dramatically.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
The terrain has changed dramatically.

I didn't think they'd done that kind of construction work.

Yes, it's an entirely different set of circumstances. But even if my instincts say China would just let stuff happen...if my instincts are wrong, then we have a worldwide conflagration.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
I didn't think they'd done that kind of construction work.

Yes, it's an entirely different set of circumstances. But even if my instincts say China would just let stuff happen...if my instincts are wrong, then we have a worldwide conflagration.

And no way China wants such a conflagration. It does nothing good for them at all, and a whole lot of bad. Therefore, if an armed conflict occurs on the Korean penninsula, I'd predict that China basically does a lot of huffing and puffing but doesn't lift a finger in its military.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
And no way China wants such a conflagration. It does nothing good for them at all, and a whole lot of bad. Therefore, if an armed conflict occurs on the Korean penninsula, I'd predict that China basically does a lot of huffing and puffing but doesn't lift a finger in its military.

And by then, Seoul is in ruins and 5 million people are dead.

China doesn't have to get directly involved for things to go badly.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 27, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
Would it even work to unite that country as one again?

If you got rid of the North Korean leadership, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, except for the fact that no one, especially South Korea, wants to spend the money it would take to bring the North into the 20th century economically (and yes, I know what century it is now).

The original partition line didn't really exist until the Cold War took hold. It's entirely a construction of the post-war Era.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
It will be a war by proxy. At most we'll see advisers speaking Chinese and English.

And what happens when 10 Chinese advisors are killed by a U.S. led air strike?

We've seen that story before.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:32 AM)
And what happens when 10 Chinese advisors are killed by a U.S. led air strike?

We've seen that story before.

Back channel apology and keep on playing. Here is a question, do we have enough weapons and ammo to help supply SK?

/Investors are checking which plane company supplies either side and increasing their position. There is money in wars.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
Like when we bombed the Chinese embassy while bombing in then Yugoslavia?

It'd be a fundamentally different situation if China was actively aiding the other side.

Is there any situation in the world where we are not involved in some way? I imagine China is the same way.

Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Congo... we aren't everywhere.

Cost/benefit analysis for China here is pretty straightforward. They're risking hostilities with a country that (1) has a tremendous habit of buying their s*** and (2) would absolutely decimate them in any combat situation. What real reason is there for China to piss off the USA? They probably wouldn't like to see NK go down but they are surely unwilling to mess with a few American carrier task forces moping around the area.

DN'em... how much has your view changed in the last 18 months or so on this type of world events?

It seems like you have recognized both sides in any dispute have many tentacles that usually aren't prevelant. Then, of course, out of nowhere that (a while ago not prevelant thing rears it's ugly head.

It seems like you've taken a different look at things that I didn't see from you a few months ago.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 27, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Congo... we aren't everywhere.

Cost/benefit analysis for China here is pretty straightforward. They're risking hostilities with a country that (1) has a tremendous habit of buying their s*** and (2) would absolutely decimate them in any combat situation. What real reason is there for China to piss off the USA? They probably wouldn't like to see NK go down but they are surely unwilling to mess with a few American carrier task forces moping around the area.

I assume the CIA is all over those places.

DN'em... how much has your view changed in the last 18 months or so on this type of world events?

It seems like you have recognized both sides in any dispute have many tentacles that usually aren't prevelant. Then, of course, out of nowhere that (a while ago not prevelant thing rears it's ugly head.

It seems like you've taken a different look at things that I didn't see from you a few months ago.

I'm a little hawkish, we got this kickass military so we might as well go around scaring the s*** out of states that are posturing.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
I'm a little hawkish, we got this kickass military so we might as well go around scaring the s*** out of states that are posturing.

It worked great for the last 8 years!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
It worked great for the last 8 years!

I am being hyperbolic in thinking out loud here, but I sometimes wonder if you even like our country. It's hard to find examples of you saying positive things about it, even when referring to the left.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
I am being hyperbolic in thinking out loud here, but I sometimes wonder if you even like our country. It's hard to find examples of you saying positive things about it, even when referring to the left.

In fairness, he isn't talking about "our country", he is talking mostly about "our government".

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
In fairness, he isn't talking about "our country", he is talking mostly about "our government".

And the 2010 White Sox. I'm not a big fan of them right now either.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)

Well I don't know how anybody could like our government. Although I guess if you hate the government, who is largely voted in by the people, that means the people are dumb too and we're all screwed. So maybe he has a point even if he hates everybody.