Tensions Grow in Korea

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
I am being hyperbolic in thinking out loud here, but I sometimes wonder if you even like our country. It's hard to find examples of you saying positive things about it, even when referring to the left.

Love > dislike > apathy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 28, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
Because the insurgent groups in Iraq and Taliban in Afghanistan are clearly states.

How much did going around and threatening people for 8 years scare the regimes in North Korea, Iraq (prior to invasion), Iran, Europe, Russia, the rest of Asia, etc.?

Teddy Roosevelt had it right; the speaking softly part is important.

How much did going around and threatening people for 8 years scare the regimes in North Korea, Iraq (prior to invasion), Iran, Europe, Russia, the rest of Asia, etc.?

Teddy Roosevelt had it right; the speaking softly part is important.

You think without us around NK would've just sat there and watched the South?

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ May 28, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
You think without us around NK would've just sat there and watched the South?

You think that cutting off negotiations with them for years and calling them "Evil" until they restarted their uranium enrichment facilities (Happened in late 2002 btw) and then test-detonated a bomb worked out well for us?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
You think that cutting off negotiations with them for years and calling them "Evil" until they restarted their uranium enrichment facilities (Happened in late 2002 btw) and then test-detonated a bomb worked out well for us?

Their program started in 1962. This isn't something new.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Their program started in 1962. This isn't something new.

The bulk of their uranium enrichment happened in late 2002, while we were building up to the Iraq war. No citation for this one, I just know the people who did the measurements.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
The bulk of their uranium enrichment happened in late 2002, while we were building up to the Iraq war. No citation for this one, I just know the people who did the measurements.

And prior to that, they had no clue... it was CLEARLY George W. Bush's fault, because that's all you know how to think or say in every thought that oozes out of your mind.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)
And prior to that, they had no clue... it was CLEARLY George W. Bush's fault, because that's all you know how to think or say in every thought that oozes out of your mind.

They had every idea how to do it, but they weren't doing at the time because all the equipment was monitored by the UN under international agreements that they were somewhat following. They threw all that out the window in their 2002 tantrum, and wound up with the bomb because of it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2010 -> 09:13 AM)
They had every idea how to do it, but they weren't doing at the time because all the equipment was monitored by the UN under international agreements that they were somewhat following. They threw all that out the window in their 2002 tantrum, and wound up with the bomb because of it.

Sorry, but that is completely garbage. They never abandoned their nuclear program. They were always working behind the scenes, whether the UN wanted to find it or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
Sorry, but that is completely garbage. They never abandoned their nuclear program. They were always working behind the scenes, whether the UN wanted to find it or not.

No, they never completely abandoned it. I'll agree to that. That doesn't change the fact that they did 95% of the work while we decided that the right way to deal with them was to not talk to them and call them evil for 4 years.

Even if that wasn't the truth...you can't seriously sit there and tell me that turning our backs on them for 4+ years did the least bit of good. We stopped it when they tested a bomb for crying out loud!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
No, they never completely abandoned it. I'll agree to that. That doesn't change the fact that they did 95% of the work while we decided that the right way to deal with them was to not talk to them and call them evil for 4 years.

Even if that wasn't the truth...you can't seriously sit there and tell me that turning our backs on them for 4+ years did the least bit of good. We stopped it when they tested a bomb for crying out loud!

Appeasement hasn't been any better of a policy historically. All that has allowed them to do is to sell their technology while simultaneously forcing us to hold up their economy in exchange for something they have never done. The 95% number is ridiculous.

Below are three links which correspond with the three parts of a fascinating documentary titled, "The Vice Guide to North Korea". For those that don't know, N. Korea isolates itself from the rest of the world with virtually no people or information going in or out of the country. A group of filmmakers managed to get into the country and experience the...unique...culture. There are some crazy bits about the DMZ between N. and S. Korea as well.

A quick warning -- ads pop up between segments that you can block out by clicking "Skip this Ad" in the upper left of the window. Not a big deal, but I'd thought I should mention it.

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-...th-korea-1-of-3

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-...th-korea-2-of-3

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-...th-korea-3-of-3

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 02:17 AM)
Below are three links which correspond with the three parts of a fascinating documentary titled, "The Vice Guide to North Korea". For those that don't know, N. Korea isolates itself from the rest of the world with virtually no people or information going in or out of the country. A group of filmmakers managed to get into the country and experience the...unique...culture. There are some crazy bits about the DMZ between N. and S. Korea as well.

A quick warning -- ads pop up between segments that you can block out by clicking "Skip this Ad" in the upper left of the window. Not a big deal, but I'd thought I should mention it.

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-...th-korea-1-of-3

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-...th-korea-2-of-3

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-...th-korea-3-of-3

I've seen this before. North Korea is a really strange country. I don't mean the people, just the way it's run.