A Cold Weather Super Bowl!

Finally a Super Bowl outside of Florida, California, or a dome. I think this is great, and I hope it opens the door for more cold weather Super Bowls in the future. I was surprised by the amount of people complaining about it, though. And not just the players. I hope it's snowing and 10 degrees. That's football.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 26, 2010 -> 06:35 AM)
Finally a Super Bowl outside of Florida, California, or a dome. I think this is great, and I hope it opens the door for more cold weather Super Bowls in the future. I was surprised by the amount of people complaining about it, though. And not just the players. I hope it's snowing and 10 degrees. That's football.

I completely agree. I would guess that the complaints would come from fans of teams that usually play in warmer weather, as those teams tend to play poorly in the cold. Also, I'm sure a lot of fans don't want to be stuck in the cold for the biggest sporting event in America.

True football fans love watching a game in the snow. I may be well off the mark here, but I would think there will be even more people trying to get tickets to this Super Bowl.

I hope this works out, and they have a cold weather game once every few years. Super Bowl in Chicago? Green Bay? Pittsburgh? Sign me up.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 26, 2010 -> 07:24 AM)
True football fans love watching a game in the snow. I may be well off the mark here, but I would think there will be even more people trying to get tickets to this Super Bowl.

I hope this works out, and they have a cold weather game once every few years. Super Bowl in Chicago? Green Bay? Pittsburgh? Sign me up.

I have no actual support for this, but I have to imagine a very good percentage of people at the Super Bowl are not the biggest of fans (people with a lot of resources and connections).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 26, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
I have no actual support for this, but I have to imagine a very good percentage of people at the Super Bowl are not the biggest of fans (people with a lot of resources and connections).

The ones of them that matter are in luxury boxes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2010 -> 07:31 AM)
What sucks is that they will only allow this for New York because it is New York. They wouldnt do this for Green Bay or any other cold weather outdoor stadium, NE included

And that's a shame. New York is New York.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ May 26, 2010 -> 06:35 AM)

Yeah, if said superbowls are in the NYC area. Thats the only reason it will be in a cold weather city.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2010 -> 07:31 AM)
What sucks is that they will only allow this for New York because it is New York. They wouldnt do this for Green Bay or any other cold weather outdoor stadium, NE included

I'd have to do the research... hopefully I'll have some free time at work today... but I would imagine NYC is more "moderate" that time of year than places like Chicago and Green Bay. And yes, I use moderate loosely.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:12 AM)
I'd have to do the research... hopefully I'll have some free time at work today... but I would imagine NYC is more "moderate" that time of year than places like Chicago and Green Bay. And yes, I use moderate loosely.

Whatever research you do you can throw out the window anyway, because whatever the trend was before the early-mid 90's may as well be thrown out.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 26, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
I am loving the outrage against this "it's the most important game of the year.... HOW DARE WEATHER EFFECT IT!!!" as if weather never effects any other games all year. The Super Bowl has been extremely lucky to date to not have been played in a down pour.

f*** THAT. The bears played in a goddamn hurricane in 2006

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 26, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
I didnt think it was THAT bad

It rained all week, and they had helicopters over the field for like 2 hours before the game to dry it off. Do you remember how hard it was coming down at halftime when prince played? It was ridiculous

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 26, 2010 -> 09:36 AM)
It rained all week, and they had helicopters over the field for like 2 hours before the game to dry it off. Do you remember how hard it was coming down at halftime when prince played? It was ridiculous

I guess my memory is a little faded. I do remember it raining during the week, just not game day

This is dumb. The two best teams should have the best field available so they can showcase their skills. The more random luck/shoddy field conditions involved, the worse it is for everyone.

Watching a game in snow is cool for about a minute, then you realize it's a terribly played game and it's just garbage football. I want a football game to have the athletes running, jumping, hitting, and cutting to the best of their abilities in the most important game of the year.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 26, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
I guess my memory is a little faded. I do remember it raining during the week, just not game day

LOL, I dont know how you could forget that. Look at some youtube highlights, especially the halftime show

So, I used the Average Daily temps from Chicago, Newark, and Green Bay (as provided by the University of Dayton) for the months of January and February. Here is the general break down....

From January 1, 1995 to February 28, 2010... there were 948 days in the months of January and February. Averaging them all together, you get this:

Chicago's Average Daily Temp - 26.75228 F

Green Bay's Average Daily Temp - 20.76057

Newark's Average Daily Temp - 34.14023

I then shrunk the sample size to only dates that surround when a Super Bowl may be held (Jan 20 - Feb 10). That gave me 352 days and the following averages:

Chicago's Average Daily Temp - 24.86838 F

Green Bay's Average Daily Temp - 19.06307

Newark's Average Daily Temp - 32.64347

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 26, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
This is dumb. The two best teams should have the best field available so they can showcase their skills. The more random luck/shoddy field conditions involved, the worse it is for everyone.

Watching a game in snow is cool for about a minute, then you realize it's a terribly played game and it's just garbage football. I want a football game to have the athletes running, jumping, hitting, and cutting to the best of their abilities in the most important game of the year.

In football particularly, weather is not random or unrelated to the game - its very much part of the game. Its a winter sport.

I'm with you. I'm also someone you are never going to see at a football game past october. I'll go to the first couple of the year but I'm not spending a hundred bucks to sit in the f***ing cold. Every team should have a dome.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)

I totally agree.

I dont mind bad weather games during the season or playoffs because thats part of the home field advantage. Just like here in Florida where its over 100 degrees on the field. But in the championship game, I'd like to see it played it in the best conditions possible.

But as long as the field is dry and the wind is minimal then all should be fine. But if we have a Tuck Bowl looking game for the Super Bowl then I doubt the NFL will ever go back.

And is the new stadium going to have grass or Field Turf? There is no way grass will be able to hold well for the Pro Bowl and then Super Bowl in back to back weeks.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 26, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
In football particularly, weather is not random or unrelated to the game - its very much part of the game. Its a winter sport.

It's a winter sport? It's played in the fall. And the whole reason the randomness was taken out of the weather (or at least an attempt) for all these years was to provide the best playing conditions to optimize performance and game quality.

Had the Colts/Saints game been in a snow storm, it would have sucked, end of story. The only people who like the snow are the 10 year olds looking out the window.

Think about the Soldier Field turf. Why isn't everyone just saying that's part of the game, too? Why make a big deal out of that? You can't have it both ways.

Well said. I disagree, but I like how well you stated the anti-s argument.

Baseball and football are played under a variety of conditions. In the unique case of baseball, even the overall field dimensions are left to the individual stadiums. Basketball and for the most part hockey, are much more uniform. In all sports adapting to the field of play and the conditions is a big part of the game. I support an outdoor game in any sort of weather. It gives the best players a chance to truly distinguish themselves. In my mind, it is in those challenges where we see the best of their abilities.