Apple: 10 Employee Suicides THIS YEAR

Texsox

Shenzhen is known for assembling famous electronic goods like Apple's iPhone and iPad. But in recent months it has gained a darker image, as a place where distraught workers regularly throw themselves to their deaths. The latest fatality came on Tuesday morning, when a 19-year-old employee died in a fall in the company's Shenzhen compound, according to the state-run Xinhua news service. He was the ninth worker this year to have died in a fall from factory buildings on Foxconn's properties in Shenzhen; two have survived suicide attempts, according to state-media reports. Another teenager, who the company revealed this month died after jumping from a company building in Hebei province in January, brings the total employee death toll from falls to 10 this year.

Oops, I was too quick

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100526/wl_time/08599199162000

The massive Foxconn factory in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen is known for assembling famous electronic goods like Apple's iPhone and iPad. But in recent months it has gained a darker image, as a place where distraught workers regularly throw themselves to their deaths.

Sounds like suicide to me.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2010 -> 03:16 PM)
Oops, I was too quick

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100526/wl_time/08599199162000

Sounds like suicide to me.

Using Apple in the title is misleading, and the original article using it is equally misleading, as HP, Dell, Sony and many others also use Foxxcon.

Edited by Y2HH

There was a big article i read a couple months ago about a Microsoft China slave shop. 16 hour work days. Sleep at your work station. It's really outrageous that no one in the west cares about this. I guess as long as 'stuff' is cheap no one cares.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
There was a big article i read a couple months ago about a Microsoft China slave shop. 16 hour work days. Sleep at your work station. It's really outrageous that no one in the west cares about this. I guess as long as 'stuff' is cheap no one cares.

I care, but it's kind of like pissing into the wind.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2010 -> 07:21 AM)
Of Business, Tex, of Business. Businesses should have every right to work employees to the point that they commit suicide.

Business Saves!

Turning this into an American political argument for government regulation or for power to business is ridiculous.

When you dig through all the reasons (and I will cite some below), what it comes to is human rights in China...and they have none.

This has everything to do with the way the Chinese do things, the way their governments do things, and the lack of rights of their people and what they have to do to survive in such conditions. There is give and take in everything, and that includes the fact that they're willing to take these jobs. As Americans we want our computers, iPhones, Androids, TV's, etc...and we want them as cheap yet as high quality as possible. And it's unfair of me to say "Americans" in regard to this because any non 3rd world nation benefits from these cheaper prices, including the Eurozone, Canada, etc...so it's not just an American thing helping cause this.

Take that 2,000$ plasma television and make it here instead...whoops, now it's a 5,000$ television. No thank you, Sony is selling that same technology for 60% less! While this sucks, and is bad, as someone said above, it's like pissing into the wind. Why? Because if it weren't for such sweat shop jobs, these people would have no jobs, and would simply starve to death (such as many are), or turn to child prostitution (which is big there) because their government wouldn't jump to help them.

Next up in this -- India.

But hey, it's ok...they own 850Billion of American debt and their economy is growing at a pace never before seen!@$#@!

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:10 AM)
Turning this into an American political argument for government regulation or for power to business is ridiculous.

When you dig through all the reasons (and I will cite some below), what it comes to is human rights in China...and they have none.

This has everything to do with the way the Chinese do things, the way their governments do things, and the lack of rights of their people and what they have to do to survive in such conditions. There is give and take in everything, and that includes the fact that they're willing to take these jobs. As Americans we want our computers, iPhones, Androids, TV's, etc...and we want them as cheap yet as high quality as possible. And it's unfair of me to say "Americans" in regard to this because any non 3rd world nation benefits from these cheaper prices, including the Eurozone, Canada, etc...so it's not just an American thing helping cause this.

Take that 2,000$ plasma television and make it here instead...whoops, now it's a 5,000$ television. No thank you, Sony is selling that same technology for 60% less! While this sucks, and is bad, as someone said above, it's like pissing into the wind. Why? Because if it weren't for such sweat shop jobs, these people would have no jobs, and would simply starve to death (such as many are), or turn to child prostitution (which is big there) because their government wouldn't jump to help them.

But hey, it's ok...they own 850Billion of American debt and their economy is growing at a pace never before seen!@$#@!

Well stated.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 28, 2010 -> 10:10 AM)

Every now and again you say something I endorse completely... lol

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 27, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
I care, but it's kind of like pissing into the wind.

exactly, all the super liberals (i'm moderate, so I will rip on ultra-conservatives when need be) will whine about it at dinner parties, but if their Ipods were $100-$200 more they would riot.