Ozzie and KW - what will happen?

NorthSideSox72

Ozzie vs KW  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you WANT to send out of their roles by season's end?

• Ozzie
    • KW (out of GM job, either gone or moving up)
    • Both
    • Neither
  2. 2. Who WILL be out of their roles by season's end?

• Ozzie
    • KW (out of GM job, either gone or moving up)
    • Both
    • Neither

I voted for wanting Ozzie out at the end of the season, and that nothing will change at the end of the season.

And I'm basing the last thing on JR's loyalty to "his guys", and I think Ozzie and KW are definitely that.

I think Ozzie would be best served by taking the Florida Marlins job from 2011 and using his managerial style in the NL.

KW I think has enough runs on the board to survive say a 90 loss season, but changes will have to be made somewhere, but I don't think that'll be for the manager and the GM.

The Peavy trade is obviously blowing up in KW's face right now unless he can turn it around, the Pierre acquisition giving up 2 decent prospects, 1 who has been great in the Dodgers rotation and not waiting for Damon was one of KW's worst moves since I've been a Sox fan, albeit Pierre has been better lately.

The DH situation obviously has been a big negative, although Jones has been one of our better hitters. I think also when a lot of people say we need to add more OBP to the lineup, to be good in that stat in our ballpark is pretty hard, as Dye said in the media a while back, you need to have decent power to succeed hitting at the Cell.

The main reason I'm holding out on criticism of these guys is that 2-3 months ago, I said our reasons for success this season went as follows:

1. Carlos Quentin

2. Carlos Quentin

3. Carlos Quentin

4. Carlos Quentin

5. Carlos Quentin

6. Alex Rios

7. Carlos Quentin

8. Gordon Beckham

Out of about my top 10 reasons for offensive success this season, 8 or so have been bad. Now, if we were counting on something insane, like Mark Kotsay being the key to the offense, that'd be one thing, but frankly, a lot of the guys we asked to be workable pieces have actually been workable pieces so far.

It's been the guys that no one in their right mind wanted to dump for nothing prior to the season failing that has really murdered us this year. Now, if you're going to blame KW for not dumping Beckham and Quentin in the offseason and replacing them with, I dunno, Jermaine Dye and Placido Polonco, well, I'd love to see where anyone thought that was a good idea.

I'm undecided. I want to see how this season plays out. I will say that the clock should at least be ticking on both guys (Ozzie considerably more than Kenny). Since the second half of 2006, this team is 293-315. That's simply not getting it done. And it starts at the very top. I would also like to say that I'd like to see a more sabermetric way of thinking when it comes to running an organization. I don't see that ever happening with Ozzie as manager. Like it or not, the game is changing rapidly (and the evolution of sabermetrics is a big part of that). And the Sox are running in quicksand while other teams are blowing right by them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
Unless this team falls into a death spiral, no one is going anywhere. Even if that happens, Ozzie is the only one on the hot seat IMO.

Do we have to morph into the '03 Tigers before changes are made? Unless there's a big turnaround, we're looking at 4 below .500 seasons in the last 5. Unacceptable.

Make that 3 below .500 seasons in the last 4.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (DBAHO @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:25 AM)
I voted for wanting Ozzie out at the end of the season, and that nothing will change at the end of the season.

Agreed completely. I voted KW on the second one though, only cause KW said himself that he would take any kind of blame and either re-sign or possibly move somewhere else in the position. (moving up wouldn't be a bad idea for him)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2010 -> 06:47 AM)
Unless this team falls into a death spiral, no one is going anywhere. Even if that happens, Ozzie is the only one on the hot seat IMO.

I feel like they've been barely circling the drain all season and wouldn't be one bit surprised to see the dreaded "death spiral" take effect at some point. This offense is just not very good at all and if the pitching falters the team has no chance.

Looks like my votes are along the same line of the majority here. I think it's time for Ozzie to go, but I imagine nothing will happen. Regardless, this team is probably going to look a lot different in 2011, and I think a new manager would be a wise choice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:34 AM)
Really? He's put up a .511 OPS his last 7 days.

Well if you didnt watch the games then I think thats what you would use to evaluate him. Take last night for example, everything he hit was hard, but came up with one hit. Someone who hasnt been watching would say it wasnt a good game, when in fact he squared up the ball almost every time he made contact. I see him coming out of it this weekend to be honest.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 28, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Well if you didnt watch the games then I think thats what you would use to evaluate him. Take last night for example, everything he hit was hard, but came up with one hit. Someone who hasnt been watching would say it wasnt a good game, when in fact he squared up the ball almost every time he made contact. I see him coming out of it this weekend to be honest.

Like you said, I don't care what his batting average is right now. I'd rather he have a game like last night where he hits everything hard and gets one hit than a game where he gets two infield singles and strikes out the other at bats. The problem is that every time it looks like he's coming out of it, he'll have a 2 game stretch where he strikes out 6 times and looks overmatched.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
Like you said, I don't care what his batting average is right now. I'd rather he have a game like last night where he hits everything hard and gets one hit than a game where he gets two infield singles and strikes out the other at bats. The problem is that every time it looks like he's coming out of it, he'll have a 2 game stretch where he strikes out 6 times and looks overmatched.

Exactly. If he was able to consistently hit the ball hard, even for a 5-6 game stretch, the balls would be falling a lot for him.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)

I think the consistency is on the way -- he really did look better last night against a very good pitcher. With Q though I have yet to see anything. He's fallen and can't get up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 28, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)

The last few days it seems like teh ball is coming off of his bat with more authority. I know that is the eye test, but I think you are right about it being soon.