Racial profiling, Chicago Style

Texsox

"They're (ICE) supposed to be the experts in this and they didn't act like experts," he said. "When it comes to Latinos, what has happened is they have flipped the coin on its head: The burden of proof now is on them to prove that they are legal, that they are citizens ... That is not what America is about."

And ICE's defense raised eyebrows from Jacqueline Stevens, professor of political science at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, outside Chicago.

"Their defense is only valid if someone is foreign-born," she said. "It's not a valid defense if someone is asserting that they're born in the United States. That's basically kidnapping and false imprisonment."

From above.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
They need to repeal those immigration laws in the south!

I think we need to be very careful before reaching the point where we all have to carry ID papers with us at all times. That is the logical sequence of events and the slippery slope we are venturing out on. I tolerate the interior checkpoint when I head north from my house, but that is one location. I don't think the rest of America wants roadblocks and citizen checks.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 28, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
I think we need to be very careful before reaching the point where we all have to carry ID papers with us at all times. That is the logical sequence of events and the slippery slope we are venturing out on. I tolerate the interior checkpoint when I head north from my house, but that is one location. I don't think the rest of America wants roadblocks and citizen checks.

Then the people breaking the laws need to stop...otherwise it's going to happen one way or another. Nobody wants this, but it appears to be inevitable since we can't seem to figure out a way to keep illegals out of our country and then supporting them in many ways when they do come here. They not only harm Americans, but they harm those who do things the right way in trying to get here, as would be expected of a common criminal. Then, if/when they do something real bad, they just leave and whoever had said bad thing done to them gets nothing but loss.

One way - Everyone carries papers/proof of citizenship. I figure this is coming anyway, so we may as well just get a head start on the technologies that'll be used for this.

Another - Illegals continue to pour into the nation and bankrupt the country in which they have no stake in, move on like insects leaving the scraps behind to those of us who DO have a stake here, who pay taxes here, etc.

No matter what is done about this situation, big brother state is coming, hell, it doesn't even matter if you completely remove all illegals from the equation -- the barcode/personal identification (retinal, hand print, dna scan, etc.) is coming here either way. I'm hoping to not see this in my lifetime, but I wouldn't bet on that...we are closer and closer to a completely cashless society than ever before.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 28, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
Then the people breaking the laws need to stop...otherwise it's going to happen one way or another. Nobody wants this, but it appears to be inevitable since we can't seem to figure out a way to keep illegals out of our country and then supporting them in many ways when they do come here. They not only harm Americans, but they harm those who do things the right way in trying to get here, as would be expected of a common criminal. Then, if/when they do something real bad, they just leave and whoever had said bad thing done to them gets nothing but loss.

One way - Everyone carries papers/proof of citizenship. I figure this is coming anyway, so we may as well just get a head start on the technologies that'll be used for this.

Another - Illegals continue to pour into the nation and bankrupt the country in which they have no stake in, move on like insects leaving the scraps behind to those of us who DO have a stake here, who pay taxes here, etc.

No matter what is done about this situation, big brother state is coming, hell, it doesn't even matter if you completely remove all illegals from the equation -- the barcode/personal identification (retinal, hand print, dna scan, etc.) is coming here either way. I'm hoping to not see this in my lifetime, but I wouldn't bet on that...we are closer and closer to a completely cashless society than ever before.

The lowest two tax brackets actually received a refund of all plus more, it doesn't matter who is working those jobs. So someone working "off the books" helps the budget, not hurts it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Yeah, we should put BP and GS in charge of the immigration services.

In a weird sort of way that would be better. At least then you would know that people would have jobs matched up with them when they got here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
In a weird sort of way that would be better. At least then you would know that people would have jobs matched up with them when they got here.

:headbang there has to be a link between immigration and jobs