BECKHAM IS BACK

Special K

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
What happens when your left in the big leagues for 2 years to struggle.

I bet he couldn't hit A-ball at the moment.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

Gordon's line in AAA: .371/25/8/23/.508/.701/1.209

But yeah, he obviously couldn't hang at high A.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
Beckham's last AB was pitiful, but I missed his other AB's. At least he had an RBI single. It's like Dr. Hyde and Mr. Jekyll with him.

His 2 hits were outstanding, he looked like a different guy up there. When a player is struggling as bad as Beckham has been, 2 highly successful ABs mean an awful lot more than 1 bad one against one of the better relievers in the game to this point.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
His 2 hits were outstanding, he looked like a different guy up there. When a player is struggling as bad as Beckham has been, 2 highly successful ABs mean an awful lot more than 1 bad one against one of the better relievers in the game to this point.

No argument here.

If Gordon comes back up and sucks again, the Sox will be able to acquire him.

I wouldn't assume he'll succeed up here, though. He has been s*** in the big leagues.

Gordon and DeJesus for who? Royals would probably take Danks I or II, Floyd and/or Viciedo. And the Sox would be fools for trading any of them for Alex.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Beckham has now been on the White Sox roster for 162 games. His numbers:

.248/.328/.392

Games: 150

AB: 548

R: 77

H: 136

2B: 32

3B: 1

HR: 15

RBI: 75

BB: 59

SO: 100

I believe that's 150 games.

We should lock Beckham in a closet and in that closet have a tv showing Michael Young batting. Keep Becks in there for a day or two, and when he comes out, hopefully he will have learned a few things.

(Michael Young should be the player Beckham tries to emulate.)

I think Beckham should go back to third, or move to SS. Ramirez should go back to 2B. I'm not saying forever, but we need something to shake things up. Put Nix at Short for a week, it's not like we could play worse. In '08 Ozzie moved lineups around & it seemed to help. Maybe put Visquel at 2B to for a week & leave Ramirez at SS, something to shake it up.

Back to Beckham, he's doing better, but at third he helps by gaining momentum at times by making a good play. As oppose to Teahen (who seemed to be hurting for awhile) losing momentum or giving another team momentum. Making good plays at third like Joe Crede used to do can help a team a lot and I think Beckham can do that. Look what Longoria did last week against us. It can help out the same way Paulie does when he pulls another hopper out of the dirt from Ramirez!!

I'm rambling, but my point is something is off & something has to be done! Broken record, but this team is better & Ozzie needs to figure out what to do. (ex. Let Cora do the lineup for the next week, something!!) Not that Ozzie, needs to be removed or anything like that. Sometimes people out of the loop or pulled back a bit might have an idea that might work.

Long story short- 2008 AJ moved to the 2 hole & things turned around. We need a 2010 version of that!

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 09:57 AM)
I think Beckham should go back to third, or move to SS. Ramirez should go back to 2B. I'm not saying forever, but we need something to shake things up. Put Nix at Short for a week, it's not like we could play worse. In '08 Ozzie moved lineups around & it seemed to help. Maybe put Visquel at 2B to for a week & leave Ramirez at SS, something to shake it up.

Back to Beckham, he's doing better, but at third he helps by gaining momentum at times by making a good play. As oppose to Teahen (who seemed to be hurting for awhile) losing momentum or giving another team momentum. Making good plays at third like Joe Crede used to do can help a team a lot and I think Beckham can do that.

Given that Beckham has been struggling like hell at the plate for the past month and a half, the last thing you want to do is complicate his situation by making him re-learn a position that he's played for less than a year. That would be completely counter-productive. I'm also pretty sure that Beckham is capable of making good plays at 2nd base.

Was it all of the media and community work the Sox made him do/ he chose to do over the summer? It just seems like he was thrust onto the spotlight so quickly and he had slightly better numbers (worse HRs) than Josh Fields in his break-out half-season. I still think Beckham will be good but the biggest concern I have is the K rate. Even if he's hitting below the Mendoza line, he always seemed like a guy that got the bat on the ball. Last year, I was amazed at how often he made solid contact but never expected what we've seen this year.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Was it all of the media and community work the Sox made him do/ he chose to do over the summer? It just seems like he was thrust onto the spotlight so quickly and he had slightly better numbers (worse HRs) than Josh Fields in his break-out half-season. I still think Beckham will be good but the biggest concern I have is the K rate. Even if he's hitting below the Mendoza line, he always seemed like a guy that got the bat on the ball. Last year, I was amazed at how often he made solid contact but never expected what we've seen this year.

Beckham's '09 was considerably better than Fields' '07. That said, Gordon has been one of the worst every day players in baseball. I was one that was worried about all the pre-season hype. But I assumed like most it wouldn't really bother him. I do believe 100% that Beckham will overcome this and become a staple at 2B for the next 10 years.

According to Greg Walker, Beckham came to him during Spring Training and told Walker that something was not right with his swing. Walker alluded to the fact that Beckham has yet to get into a good daily routine, and I'm not sure if he was trying to allude to all the interviews, etc. that Beckham does.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ May 30, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
Wrong, they let Alex Gordon work out his issues in the bigs, got hurt, then sent him to the minors, and now is ruined.

Gordon needs to get his confidence back and it's not going to work in the bigs.

Alex Gordon just wasn't any good. He isn't ruined. Injuries have hurt his career more than anything else. Alex Gordon has never really been THAT good. He came into the big leagues and hit under .200 for most of the first half as a rookie and then settled in as a .750 OPS guy the next couple years amid injuries.

Gordon Beckham had a good rookie year. His struggles right now are probably mental and he will work out of them no matter where the organization sends him or doesn't send him. If he doesn't break out of it and then does little during his career it is because he just didn't have it. There is no "well if we would have sent him down he'd be a superstar".

Alex Gordon came into the league as the next George Brett and has beaten the living hell out of minor league pitching. You don't get picked #2 after Justin Upton in the deepest, most talent leaden draft ever on a whim. He's very, very talented. Injuries and general Royals f***ery have prevented him from making a name for himself. He needs a change of scene.

Edited by Thunderbolt