Make a deal with Angels?

JPN366

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
Except that Kenny doesn't have to call the Cardinals to make Mark's desire to play for them evident. Mark's been doing that through the press for years. The Cardinals know that Mark would push for them pretty hard, and thus have less incentive to match offers from theoretical other teams.

Yeah, I think certainly could play into it. But Mark isn't going to try and screw over the only franchise he has ever known, either. I don't think he would ever push for Kenny to accept a less-than-fair deal so that he could be dealt to St. Louis.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
Yeah, I think certainly could play into it. But Mark isn't going to try and screw over the only franchise he has ever known, either. I don't think he would ever push for Kenny to accept a less-than-fair deal so that he could be dealt to St. Louis.

I agree, and it's not like Kenny's going to accept less than what he believes is reasonable. He'll hold onto Mark and take the draft picks instead. But given that Mark's been one of the two faces of this franchise for the past 5+ years, Kenny's also going to feel pressured to make Mark's parting with Chicago a happy and PR-friendly one. Sending Mark to his favorite team, near his hometown, would be the ultimate goodwill gesture.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
That's awesome that you can just remember that stuff and find the links and quotes so quickly. You're good! If you read right below what you bolded it says that he wants to be in a place where he can win. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out with him. Hopefully he'll do what's right and accept a trade if it's to a contender, even if it's after his 10/5 rights have kicked in.

What do you expect? He is a doctor!

You don't have to trade him if another team won't meet your price.

This is the debate we had about PK the last couple of years when we thought his contract was starting to be a albatross with his production decling. But with Buerhle it is much more complicated because of the limited NTC and his 10/5 rights. He has pretty much said he wants to retire after this contract and the only team he could see himself pitching for is the Cardinals. Maybe if we eat some of the remaining contract it could be an option later if he continues to struggle. Dunno just throwing stuff out there.

PK just went through a mini slump and eventhough he is 34 he still has value in his decent OBP and oddly enough he plays ok defense with a decent FPCT the past couple of years. He may be attractive to the Angels, you never know.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
Can anybody explain to me how the Cardinals are in a position to add $15M to their payroll for 2011 & 2012?

I don't think they can. They still have to sign Pujols to a long term extension along with Carpenter, Molina & Wainwright in 2012. They're not in the best of shape for anything past next year. Any guesses on what Pujols' next contract will be?

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
I don't think they can. They still have to sign Pujols to a long term extension along with Carpenter, Molina & Wainwright in 2012. They're not in the best of shape for anything past next year. Any guesses on what Pujols' next contract will be?

10 years, $320 MM