June Catch All White Sox Thread

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this in the gamethread, but it seems more appropiate here since this thread is on the subject...

Really, is the only reason why Randy is on this team is because he is a lefty? That's the biggest f***ing BS I've ever seen. I understand you would prefer to have a lefty, but more importantly you would rather have someone who is good. And if we don't have a single f***ing pitcher in AAA outside of Hudson who is better than Randy Williams, our whole f***ing scouting department and Kenny should be fired this instant.

19 hits by Texas? Really? What the hell? Where is the pitching staff that was supposed to be one of the best? Why is Randy Williams still pitching in the majors?

Okay, I'll stop asking questions. I'm just a little pissed off.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
I posted this in the gamethread, but it seems more appropiate here since this thread is on the subject...

Really, is the only reason why Randy is on this team is because he is a lefty? That's the biggest f***ing BS I've ever seen. I understand you would prefer to have a lefty, but more importantly you would rather have someone who is good. And if we don't have a single f***ing pitcher in AAA outside of Hudson who is better than Randy Williams, our whole f***ing scouting department and Kenny should be fired this instant.

Just to pile on, I was not happy about Williams being on this team when the Sox broke camp. It is disgusting that he is still up.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)

Erik Threets is back off the DL in Charlotte, pitched last night. Don't be surprised if he gets a call-up soon.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)
Erik Threets is back off the DL in Charlotte, pitched last night. Don't be surprised if he gets a call-up soon.

Won't matter who our LOOGY is unless Ozzie uses him correctly. Williams problem has been location, he walks a ton of batters. But even then if you notice his splits against LH hitting(which is the only hitting he should face) he has a serviceable OPP AVG of .250. It isn't going to blow your socks off, but it should get the job done for a LOOGY, if all he faces is LHers. Williams, however, has faced RHers 10 times more than he has faced LHers. (Righties are hitting a blistering .432 against him). It won't matter if Threets gets called up the mistake is in coaching, you help your pitchers if they can't locate pitches and most importantly, a good manager understands a player's strengths/weaknesses and plays to their strengths. It's dumbfounding how simple fundamental things escape our coaching staff. I pray for accountability.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
Won't matter who our LOOGY is unless Ozzie uses him correctly. Williams problem has been location, he walks a ton of batters. But even then if you notice his splits against LH hitting(which is the only hitting he should face) he has a serviceable OPP AVG of .250. It isn't going to blow your socks off, but it should get the job done for a LOOGY, if all he faces is LHers. Williams, however, has faced RHers 10 times more than he has faced LHers. (Righties are hitting a blistering .432 against him). It won't matter if Threets gets called up the mistake is in coaching, you help your pitchers if they can't locate pitches and most importantly, a good manager understands a player's strengths/weaknesses and plays to their strengths. It's dumbfounding how simple fundamental things escape our coaching staff. I pray for accountability.

How many of those lefties has he walked?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
How many of those lefties has he walked?

this season he's walked 9 lefties, one less than the lefties he's struck out, which is bad. He's killing himself with the walks. But his problems are fixable. And there's no excuse for Ozzie to let Williams face RHers.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)

Wow, I didn't know that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Really?

Sure it isn't as if he's throwing wild pitches everywhere. Cooper has helped pitchers with worse location problems than Williams. To suggest Williams doesn't belong on a ML roster is overlooking a glaring problem with coaching. Pieces are irrelevant if the template is dysfunctional.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
Sure it isn't as if he's throwing wild pitches everywhere. Cooper has helped pitchers with worse location problems than Williams. To suggest Williams doesn't belong on a ML roster is overlooking a glaring problem with coaching. Pieces are irrelevant if the template is dysfunctional.

So, you think that the problem with Randy Williams is that Cooper isn't a good pitching coach?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
Wow, I didn't know that.

That's because it's not true. He's faced 57 righties and 50 lefties this season with the majority of those righties coming in long relief. Last year he faced 37 righties and 43 lefties.

This is what Buehrle has done since retiring 45 straight batters in July of 2009:

23+ starts (He walked Alexi Casilla with 2 out in the 6th on 7/28/09.)

8-16 team record

5-13 his record

ERA: 5.00

IP: 140.1

H: 177

R: 85

ER: 78

BB: 35

SO: 56

HR: 16

He's not getting traded, because nobody will want him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
So, you think that the problem with Randy Williams is that Cooper isn't a good pitching coach?

It's pretty difficult to explain yourself a number of times, when all you get is condescending feedback. But I digress.

Williams isn't a very good pitcher, but his problems are location. Something that a pitching coach regularly deals with and at times can fix. I never said Cooper's at fault for Randy, just that Randy's problems can benefit from Coop's guidance. The major problem is with Ozzie letting him in against RH. RH against Randy are hitting .432 and his WHiP is 3.91. Against lefties he has a WHiP of 1.73(His WHiP would be lower if he locates his pitches better) and an OPP AVG of .250, which isn't good but isn't horrendous either.

Randy's job is to face LH, if he can't do that job you don't leave him there to "redeem" himself through a RH. If he regularly can't get out LH, which he hasn't really done yet, then you demote him and call up Threets. I feel like there are other things that people are overlooking when they plainly say Randy Williams doesn't deserve a roster spot.

My biggest problem with your analysis is that a .250 opponent's average for a LOOGY against LH hitters really isn't good either. Not even going into the walks, etc., if his job is to get LH hitters out, that .250 average, and especially the 1.73 WHIP against LH hitters is really, really bad.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
That's because it's not true. He's faced 57 righties and 50 lefties this season with the majority of those righties coming in long relief. Last year he faced 37 righties and 43 lefties.

Almost 10 more righties than lefties. I just re-read my post and i apologize for how i phrased "10 times more" I meant "10 more than". I think when I totaled it it was somewhere of 59 righties to 50 lefties, but there might've been a flaw in my math.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
Almost 10 more righties than lefties. I just re-read my post and i apologize for how i phrased "10 times more" I meant "10 more than". I think when I totaled it it was somewhere of 59 righties to 50 lefties, but there might've been a flaw in my math.

FWIW, if Williams were actually pitching well against LH and this team was actually in the race, if Ozzie kept putting him out there to face RH hitters as well as LH hitters, I'd be quite annoyed too.

Right now though, Williams is just flat out bad against LH hitters as well. If he has 1 job, and he goes 2 months doing a terrible job of doing that, then he can have a target on his back.

The one reason why I don't really care right now though, especially about him constantly facing RH hitters...is that almost every time he's facing RH hitters, Ozzie's just leaving him in for an inning or two when the team is already down several runs. He's getting a lot of those hitters in garbage time. So I'm just not sure I should care. It'd be nice if he could do a little bit better with guys from either side just to save the bullpen a bit more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
FWIW, if Williams were actually pitching well against LH and this team was actually in the race, if Ozzie kept putting him out there to face RH hitters as well as LH hitters, I'd be quite annoyed too.

Right now though, Williams is just flat out bad against LH hitters as well. If he has 1 job, and he goes 2 months doing a terrible job of doing that, then he can have a target on his back.

The one reason why I don't really care right now though, especially about him constantly facing RH hitters...is that almost every time he's facing RH hitters, Ozzie's just leaving him in for an inning or two when the team is already down several runs. He's getting a lot of those hitters in garbage time. So I'm just not sure I should care. It'd be nice if he could do a little bit better with guys from either side just to save the bullpen a bit more.

Agreed. I sometimes feel a disconnect between Ozzie and the struggles of his players. Like, "what do you want me to do" "I have to start them". I get annoyed when he doesn't use better judgement.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Agreed. I sometimes feel a disconnect between Ozzie and the struggles of his players. Like, "what do you want me to do" "I have to start them". I get annoyed when he doesn't use better judgement.

At some point I do get annoyed with things like the obsessive L/R matchups in some cases and not in others, or his love for having a speedy player at the top of the order, or his differing treatment of vets versus some of the kids...

But right now, really, none of that matters. When 2/3 of your team is dramatically underpeforming and you're 8 games under .500 because of that, even if you'd made every decision correct, it's not going to make up that much of a difference.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Juan Pierre is 3 for 17 on bunts this season. It's just bizarre that a player like him would be positively wretched on bunts.

It's always annoyed me that baseball reference and fangraphs don't correlate at all times (most) when it comes to bunt hits/attempts. But then again the differential in what each site considers a infield hit is rather ridiculous, so it can easily be expected.

Anyway, i would not expect the 64% succession rate taveras put up in 2007 to be eclipsed anytime soon. Out of anyone with more than 20 bunt hits in a season since 1959 only three times has that rate been eclipsed.

1979 - Frank Taveras - 28 - 23 - .821

1980 Frank Taveras - 24 - 21 -.875

1964 Don Blasingame - 23 - 20 -.870

Bunts and infield hits for that matter have been tracked terribly throughout the history of the game... the further things are dated... there are just that many more grains of salt that come with it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
Juan Pierre is 3 for 17 on bunts this season. It's just bizarre that a player like him would be positively wretched on bunts.

And to be honest, it's not like he's coming close to beating out most of them.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
And to be honest, it's not like he's coming close to beating out most of them.

That suggests he's doing a poor job of placing the ball, not that he's lost a step, which seems correct to me also.