June Catch All White Sox Thread

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 06:24 AM)
I didn't get to post in the game thread yesterday, but what a great performance by Floyd last night. I'm hoping this is a sign that he's turning it around. Plus, good call by Ozzie to pinch hit with Pierre. When I saw him up, I was concerned (lefty on lefty), but I saw Pierre's history against Lilly and felt better. It's too bad that Konerko and Carlos "Pop-up" Quentin couldn't get the job done.

Floyd was going to turn it around anyhow.

He does this crap every year, he posts a super inflated ERA due to terrible luck (.369 BABIP), but his peripherals are great (with the exception of 2008, he was exceptionally lucky that year).

Before last night's game, his FIP was 4.02, after that start, it's down to 3.8, that of a very good pitcher. He's now second in pitching WAR on the team next to John Danks.

Everybody in the rotation with the exception of Freddy Garcia has a FIP below 5, even Peavy and Buehrle.

There's been a lot of bad luck for our pitchers, however, we're seeing a reversal of that right now and it will probably continue.

Edited by chw42

It's good to see the pitchers turn it around. I'm still quite concerned with some of the hitters. And therefore I'm not getting too excited about the good run as of late. The Sox could very well go into Pittsburgh and sweep, but what happens when they go back to playing AL teams? I'll have some hope when they reach .500 and stay above .500 for a while.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
The Pirates have lost eight games in a row. If we don't sweep, it's a disappointment.

It's just the fact of that streak that guarantees that the sox will break it. The Sox always do it. Remeber the year Baltimore started out the season with a 20 some game losing streak?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
It's just the fact of that streak that guarantees that the sox will break it. The Sox always do it. Remeber the year Baltimore started out the season with a 20 some game losing streak?

Yeah I was gonna say, an 8 game losing streak seems incredibly unlikely to go to 11.

Let's hope this one goes to 11.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
Hadn't the Indians lost 8 in a row before last weekend?

Also the Twins face Ubaldo Jimenez, Roy Halladay and Cole Hamels next week. While the Sox are facing Pittsburgh and Washington.

If we can't cut their lead in half after this stretch then it's obviously over for us this season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
There's no way in hell this team is capable of sweeping a three-game series against Pitt.

If this is your attitude, you should quit watching. Why make yourself so miserable. Go out and do something fun.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
There's no way in hell this team is capable of sweeping a three-game series against Pitt.

Your what hurts? Down playing the potential and ability of this team seems like an easy way to take any pressure off of Ozzie.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
Did you really just spend an entire thread bashing Tyler Flowers and then preceded to say that Jake Fox would be a viable option for this team?

If they could get him for "next to nothing" as I wrote, yes. Fox wouldn't be taking AJ's place. And they wouldn't have to get rid of anyone to get him. Just send Quentin down to AAA for a while until he gets his swing back (maybe he could take hitting lessons from Tyler Flowers, LOL) and let Fox DH and fill in a little bit in the field if needed in a pinch. IF/when Quentin gets his act together you bring him back up and if Fox has been hitting you keep him on the bench and get rid of one of the current bench guys. If he's not hitting, you DFA him.

What's the problem with that?

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 14, 2010 -> 03:17 AM)
He hits the ball hard though..

Nevermind the Cubs didn't want him and the A's didn't want him either, but he would fit perfect starting somewhere for us..

Again, for "next to nothing" and see my previous post just above this one about where he would fit.

But in reference to you first comment, I've seen Fox hit the ball hard against major league, well National League, pitching numerous times. I've never seen Flowers hit major league pitching well. That may change, of course, but right now I'd take a flyer on a guy like Fox if he could be obtained for little cost.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

I have a feeling that the Sox will win at least 4 out of the next 6 and create some hope. I'm starting to get nervous that KW isn't going to make any moves to free up payroll (until the offseason when they don't re-sign a few guys). As much of a fan as I am (and I continue to watch the games even during the bad times this year), I don't think the team as it is now can compete with the Twins. If Quentin and Beckham (especially) don't get their act together, there are two BIG holes in the lineup that will constantly hurt the team.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 06:29 AM)
I have a feeling that the Sox will win at least 4 out of the next 6 and create some hope. I'm starting to get nervous that KW isn't going to make any moves to free up payroll (until the offseason when they don't re-sign a few guys). As much of a fan as I am (and I continue to watch the games even during the bad times this year), I don't think the team as it is now can compete with the Twins. If Quentin and Beckham (especially) don't get their act together, there are two BIG holes in the lineup that will constantly hurt the team.

What if they do get their act together?

Payrolls in baseball are going to drop like a rock as attendance is plummeting.

When you have 81 games to sell you can not charge the prices they are trying to charge.....see the cubs. None of the games this past weekend was a complete sell out. Yes they were only single seats.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
What if they do get their act together?

Payrolls in baseball are going to drop like a rock as attendance is plummeting.

When you have 81 games to sell you can not charge the prices they are trying to charge.....see the cubs. None of the games this past weekend was a complete sell out. Yes they were only single seats.

If those two guys in particular got their acts together, that couple with the fact that the pitching has improved could make for an interesting season. You're absolutely right about the payrolls. It's sad and a bit scary that the storied Cubs-Sox rivalry can't sell out every game...over a weekend.