June Catch All White Sox Thread

This has nothing to do with Omar since he needs to be in the lineup everyday and since he can play 3 infield positions it's not hard to fit him in there. The problem is; Gordon Beckham is playing horrible baseball and Mark Kotsay is still getting WAY too many AB's in the DH spot. Viciedo - 3B, Vizquel - 2B, Kotsay - DH or Vizquel - 3B, Beckham - 2B, Viciedo - DH. PICK ONE. We can't just keep putting Kotsay in the DH spot because he hits left handed, that's silliness he's been a terrible all-around baseball player this season and mediocre at best over the past 3 years.

I agree 100 percent.

Should be interesting to see Stone's take on this one. Doesn't he need to show some balls and attack Ozzie on this one like he attacked Lou? At least there should be some article explaining Oz's use of Viciedo. There probably has been one and I missed it.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
Looks like Alexei's fine.

I was hoping that he wouldn't be, so we can play Viciedo at 3B and Vizquel at SS.

I'm actually really happy just to know that Ramirez is healthy. Beyond that, Vizquel is hot, he's playing good defense at 3B, and he's hit Hudson a bit in the past - .303/.395/.424/.819 in 40 PAs. Naturally it's a small sample size, but playing Vizquel and having Ramirez in the lineup is the right move.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
I agree 100 percent.

Should be interesting to see Stone's take on this one. Doesn't he need to show some balls and attack Ozzie on this one like he attacked Lou? At least there should be some article explaining Oz's use of Viciedo. There probably has been one and I missed it.

Viciedo hasn't shown anywhere near the success Colvin did when Stone ripped Piniella's use of him. It's hard to build up success when he's played only 5 plate appearances. Beyond that, Vizquel has been playing very well of late.

Viciedo should play tomorrow, since it's a day game after a night game.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
Viciedo hasn't shown anywhere near the success Colvin did when Stone ripped Piniella's use of him. It's hard to build up success when he's played only 5 plate appearances. Beyond that, Vizquel has been playing very well of late.

How about Kotsay and Beckham?

I didn't explain it well but I meant Stone saying how ridiculous it is for Oz to have him here if he's not playing. I guess the rip could be of KW or Oz or both depending on the facts. It's growing apparent he still should be in the minors if he's going to get Nix-like playing time.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
How about Kotsay and Beckham?

Kotsay's last 10 games - .269/.367/.423/.790 in 30 plate appearances

Beckham's last 10 - .189/.205/.270/.475 in 40 plate appearances

You can cherry pick for a while with Kotsay...if you only do his last 9 (26 plate appearances), his OPS is like .840, but over his last like 15 or 20, it's like .725. Beckham's just been all around bad, and getting him a night off somewhere would be good. However, an infield of Vizquel-Ramirez-Beckham is about the best defensive infield the Sox can arrange, and when Buehrle and Garcia are on the mound, you want to run out the best defense you can. Tomorrow might honestly be a good time to get both Viciedo and Lillibridge in the lineup with Floyd, who has the best K rate of any of the pitchers, on the mound.

(I'd say it's an unfortunate break for him considering he'd be left without much offense again, but, even with Vizquel hitting well, I don't think putting Viciedo and Lillibridge in is that much of a downgrade offensively from Vizquel and Beckham)

Sadly, you're 100% right on that being the best lineup the Sox can put out right now...which is why calling up DV was a mistake. Flat out mistake. If nothing else, wait a week so that he could get 25 more at bats at Charlotte.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
Sadly, you're 100% right on that being the best lineup the Sox can put out right now...which is why calling up DV was a mistake. Flat out mistake. If nothing else, wait a week so that he could get 25 more at bats at Charlotte.

I was thinking about this, and I agreed before... but I will add a caveat. If the plan was to have him up here for just a couple weeks until Teahen's return... then I am OK with him playing sparingly. Because if that's the case, then really they just wanted to get a small look at him, to see what they have, in person. And a couple weeks of missed AB's, in exchange for getting some exposure to the big club, is not so awful.

On the other hand, if he spends the rest of the season (or even just more than the couple weeks or so) with the big club, sitting on the bench... then I'll be pissed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
I was thinking about this, and I agreed before... but I will add a caveat. If the plan was to have him up here for just a couple weeks until Teahen's return... then I am OK with him playing sparingly. Because if that's the case, then really they just wanted to get a small look at him, to see what they have, in person. And a couple weeks of missed AB's, in exchange for getting some exposure to the big club, is not so awful.

On the other hand, if he spends the rest of the season (or even just more than the couple weeks or so) with the big club, sitting on the bench... then I'll be pissed.

I agree with this.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
Sunday lineup

Pierre LF, Ramirez SS, Kotsay 1B, Konerko DH, Quentin RF, Pierzynski C, Jones CF, Viciedo 3B, Lillibridge 2B

Kotsay hitting third is just...BLAH.

Is Rios hurting or tired? He's still hitting .316 the last 7 days, although his OPS is below .700 because of no HR/doubles. I'm just wondering why he needs last saturday off, Monday off for the offday, and then Thursday off.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
Wow, Ozzie doing his best to help his buddy B. Cox not lose 3 straight games to the Sox. HORRIBLE lineup

Well Viciedo getting a game is good, and Lillibridge honestly might be a better option than Gordo right now. But no Rios again?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Well Viciedo getting a game is good, and Lillibridge honestly might be a better option than Gordo right now. But no Rios again?

Exactly, I'm fine with sitting one starting player every game. But when you start having lineups that resemble split-squad games, you're just throwing away games. And spare me the "it worked on Saturday with Peavy". Sure, if Gavin goes out and throws a shut out, he could have 9 Gordon Beckhams in the lineup and still have a great chance to win.

Kenny next year needs to do a better job Ozzie-proofing the lineup. Giving him an Erstad-type play like Kotsay has been terrible. Kotsay is fine off the bench, and to play once in a while. Ozzie in his usual fashion overuses a role player making him a starter for all intensive purposes. The writing was on the wall with this with the comments Ozzie made when they resigned him. Timo/Erstad/DWise, all you need to do is to be a certain slappy grindy not so good left handed hitter and you make it into the lineup way too many times.