Mark Teahen to the DL, Lillibridge Recalled

CSF

Teahen is expected to be sidelined from four to six weeks.

By all accounts, Mark is a great person. But I wish he could earn his money as a utility player when he comes back.

I don't begrudge him the money and I wish him health, but I'm glad I don't have to see him play for six weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2010 -> 08:38 PM)
What wouldn't upset you? Lillibridge has no business being on a Major League roster.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ May 31, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
We have called Gradeschool "Loserbridge" up numerous times, and he continually shows that in the batters box, he's about as useful as Prince Fielder eating in a vegetarian bar. If someone has to get sent down, or to replace Teahan, there has got to be somebody else that we can call up for a short period of time. I don't think that I can take "Round # 6 call-up " of his famous 'Strike out" or WEAK Ground ball to the shortstop" You can put the baseball on a tee-ball stand, have the entire opposing team sit on the bench, and Lillibridge still wouldn't be able to get on base!.

July 4 2010

As of today, after being called up. he is 6 for 10 with 1 HR, 1 bases clearing triple when they were behind 4 runs, 2 doubles, 2 singles, and a bunt single.

If he keeps this up, I will GLADLY EAT my words. I'd like to see him keep it up. Unfortunately my overly sarcastic remarks were made on so many past experiences and opportunities that he was given. Maybe the coaching staff sees something in this kid that we don't, which is why they keep calling him up. Anybody know what is making this turn-around in him?

Watching Lilli drop that bunt today was heaven. If he has really added that to his game, he can stick in the majors. For some ungodly reason he used to think he was a powerhitter. He can add 50 points on to his batting average if he has everyone shallow and cheating when he hits.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 01:24 AM)
No it isn't.

But he's been great in his role so far this year.

I agree. Maybe he's found a niche as a utility player and figured out how to do it well. Let him keep going at it that way until he proves he is a useful guy off the bench, or that he's just in the midst of a streak of good fortune and still sucks at the end of the day.

If you want Beckham in the minors, the plan is still Omar at 2B and Viciedo at 3B, then re-evaluate when Teahen comes back. But idea obviously may have taken a hit tonight.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
Watching Lilli drop that bunt today was heaven. If he has really added that to his game, he can stick in the majors. For some ungodly reason he used to think he was a powerhitter. He can add 50 points on to his batting average if he has everyone shallow and cheating when he hits.

Dude...he hit a ball 425 feet out to CF. Either he's become a power hitter or he still thinks he is. He nailed that triple he hit as well.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 02:03 AM)
I agree. Maybe he's found a niche as a utility player and figured out how to do it well. Let him keep going at it that way until he proves he is a useful guy off the bench, or that he's just in the midst of a streak of good fortune and still sucks at the end of the day.

If you want Beckham in the minors, the plan is still Omar at 2B and Viciedo at 3B, then re-evaluate when Teahen comes back. But idea obviously may have taken a hit tonight.

As long as Beckham is still bad, let's ride Lillibridges' streak then. It's not as if we lose anything on defense either. Who knows, it wouldn't be the first time that someone who was a good prospect just a few short years ago suddenly found it. It could be that we really have something here, at least maybe enough that Beckham could be traded to acquire the big bat that places us in a championship conversation.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 08:17 AM)
Did you miss the 9th inning yesterday?

Actually, yes I did miss the 9th yesterday, I was called outside and knew that Thornton was coming in so I figured we had the game in the win column. Generally though, is Lillibridge a pretty good fielder?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
Its 12 AB. If he goes 0-12 with 6 ks his next 12 AB what will people think then? He was awful defensively this year in Charlotte and threw away an easy DP in the 9th yesterday.

I would say that his hot streak is over then. This is why I generally trust Kenny, Ozzie, and the other coaches with personnell decisions, even though they are not perfect either. This was all just a thought on my part anyway. I guess that you all now know why I am not a baseball manager!

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 08:32 AM)
Actually, yes I did miss the 9th yesterday, I was called outside and knew that Thornton was coming in so I figured we had the game in the win column. Generally though, is Lillibridge a pretty good fielder?

I would say that his hot streak is over then. This is why I generally trust Kenny, Ozzie, and the other coaches with personnell decisions, even though they are not perfect either. This was all just a thought on my part anyway. I guess that you all now know why I am not a baseball manager!

Lillibridge has the reputation of being good with the glove, but he was brutal in Charlotte so far this year, and his throw yesterday was something you don't see much in the Pony League.

Who really knows where he is at, but I think at best, in his future, he is a utility player, so he better get his defense turned back around.

Those of us who have watched Lillibridge's horrible at bats, since being acquired from the Braves, are understandably skeptical of his recent success. Who knows if he can continue to be even respectable? However, it is worth noting that he appears to have made some adjustments. Ozzie had been imploring him to change his game, or find himself out of baseball. The coaching staff had been urging him to shorten his swing and try to make contact, and to thus utilize his speed. I noticed last night that he is choking up on the bat just a little, and his swing looks shorter.

I remember watching him in Spring Training from my very close vantage point, and thinking; "why doesn't this guy choke way up on the bat and just try to make contact". I turned to the fans around me and made some remark like "the guy thinks he's Albert Pujols". In fact, at times it looked like his swing was longer than a lot of sluggers.

What has impressed me is that he seems to have shortened his swing. If he can stay short and quick, a la Paulie, he might be able to at least perform respectably at the Major League level. Not surprisingly, now that he is choking up and using a shorter swing, he's hitting the ball harder and further than when he appeared to be trying to kill the ball.

He does have great speed, and he's considered a decent defender. I think that he overthrew that ball last night because he was trying to make sure that he didn't hit the runner, who was coming into to second pretty high, in an effort to break up the double play.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 06:19 AM)
Its 12 AB. If he goes 0-12 with 6 ks his next 12 AB what will people think then?

Most likely the same thing that they thought last year, when Lillibridge was a laughingstock.

Lillibridge's final AB last night was almost as bad as some of Beckham's. Why oh why does a guy who is like 160 pounds swinging from the heels?

Yeah, Lillibridge has had some solid hits, he's been seeing the ball well. But he still hasn't changed. He still wants to be a power guy, in a 5th graders body.