Mark Teahen to the DL, Lillibridge Recalled

CSF

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I'm up for a "platoon" of Vizquel and Nix. That means Vizquel gets the majority of the at-bats, and I just don't see how we can be successful with a line-up that regularly features both of the Powerless Brothers - Vizquel and Pierre. Now while Nix isn't the most optimal selection, at least he offers some power to go along with some decent speed. I'd take my chances starting him most games and then use Vizquel for late inning defense.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
I'm not sure I'm up for a "platoon" of Vizquel and Nix. That means Vizquel gets the majority of the at-bats, and I just don't see how we can be successful with a line-up that regularly features both of the Powerless Brothers - Vizquel and Pierre. Now while Nix isn't the most optimal selection, at least he offers some power to go along with some decent speed. I'd take my chances starting him most games and then use Vizquel for late inning defense.

Can't you add Beckham into the Powerless Trio?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)
Month is surprising, didn't seem like a major injury at the time. But putting this into some perspective rather than kneejerk emotional reaction:

I will wager that a Nix/Vizquel platoon is worse offensively than Teahen. By how much? 5%? 10%? 15% I don't know. I do know it's not like replacing 2010 Rios with D. Wise. Nix/Vizquel are better defensively than Teahen. So we get an upgrade on defense at the hot corner, and we likely get some marginal decrease in our offensive production for 1/9th of the batting order for 1/6th of the season.

This is less than a drop in the bucket compared to the relative importance of our starting pitching (which we expected to be among the top few rotations in the league), not being dead last in the AL with a 5.04 ERA.

As of today, and almost a third of the way through the season, Mark Teahen is on pace to smash ten homeruns while belting in a whopping 49 RBIs. That is pretty much on par with what he does every year. You don't think Nix can match that power outlay over a full season?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
If Teahen was a FA after this season, I would say good riddance and I don't really care that he's gone.

Yet, if he was on the Cubs you would be saying he is about to turn the corner and he was quite a steal

There is absolutely no heat surrounding Joe Crede right now, he's seemingly dropped off the face of the baseball world, it's been about 9 months since he underwent the 2nd back surgery of his career and his name hasn't come up in a single blog post or column in months and even then it was just speculation. It would make perfect sense if he were just back home in Missouri playing with his kids and enjoying the use of his back, living off the $17M+ he made over the course of his career but even if he's 100% done you'd think a reporter would give him a call and make it official.

This is not an endorsement of any sort, just curiosity. Like Fathom said: he's obviously not an option for us regardless of his status.

Teahen had been one of our hottest hitters the last 10 days. Maybe you should pretend he was part of the 2005 team?

I'm part of some message boards where baiting isn't allowed. I won't bite on it again. Ooh I can take the mockery. Yes, Greg likes the players on the 2005 team. You are sooo mean for pointing that out.

I said all along I didn't like Teahen. I've uh watched him play for KC for years. Fans here were so glad to see him go and that's saying a lot for the terrible KC organization. He's just a utility player.

For the record, I do like the players on the 05 team. Yup I like them a lot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
Meh, he was really coming on when he got injured.

Even bad players go through hot streaks.

And to be honest, I don't mind Teahen, but I wouldn't want him on my team as anything other than an insurance option in AAA.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
How sad is it that the BEST player we can bring up is Andy Gonzalez ummmmm I mean Brent Lilibridge?!?!??!?!?!? Truly a sad time to be a Sox fan...

It really is 07 all over again. Brent Lillibridge is this years Andy Gonzalez. Hopefully he won't get 200 AB's like Gonzalez did.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
How sad is it that the BEST player we can bring up is Andy Gonzalez ummmmm I mean Brent Lilibridge?!?!??!?!?!? Truly a sad time to be a Sox fan...

Again, that isn't really the truth. All they did was replace an IF.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 07:25 PM)

You know, most people probably don't want to hear this, but Vizquel is up to hitting .241 on the season, after hitting .321 in May.

Yeah, yeah, it's powerless, yeah it's only 1 month, yeah he's old, yeah it's a low OPS.

But frankly, for a guy who's supposed to be a defensive backup and replacement if someone gets hurt, I can live with him finishing the season hitting .250. Even if he gets a fair number of at bats while Teahen is out, Omar Vizquel getting a couple hundred at bats and hitting .250 doesn't cost us the season.

The big guys not producing does.

We'd have a more legitimate gripe if he was still hitting .150 but he's not; he's doing pretty much exactly what you expect from him, and really, what you expect a backup/defensive replacement to do.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
Brent Lillibridge at least has some semblance of talent. Andy Gonzalez blew donkey balls.

Whenever I hear Andy Gonzalez and talent in the same sentence I think of Hawk's rambling of nonsensical s*** "man, Andy Gonzalez, he's such a talented ballplayer..." Kind of hard to believe anyone ever actually said that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
Yeah the team is really playing well without whipping boy Wise.

Time to start booing Kotsay like the fans booed Wise. Gotta have a whipping boy.

lol, Kotsay *is* a whipping boy around here, because he sucks, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here. He gets ripped for the same reason Wise did, because he is a below average player that is good when used in a certain role but gets way too much playing time. Actually the season isn't even half over yet and he's pretty close to getting more PAs than Wise did in either '08 or '09.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
lol, Kotsay *is* a whipping boy around here, because he sucks, so I'm not sure what you're getting at here. He gets ripped for the same reason Wise did, because he is a below average player that is good when used in a certain role but gets way too much playing time. Actually the season isn't even half over yet and he's pretty close to getting more PAs than Wise did in either '08 or '09.

And both scenarios existed because upper management did nothing to address a glaring need. It's kind of f***ed up how Kenny Williams can sit there with his thumb up his ass all offseason and then the fans end up getting mad at the players, who normally would be very good in their proper roles. I think most of us end up doing it too. I b****ed about Wise all the time and then I still defend Kenny. But f*** Kenny.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
And both scenarios existed because upper management did nothing to address a glaring need. It's kind of f***ed up how Kenny Williams can sit there with his thumb up his ass all offseason and then the fans end up getting mad at the players, who normally would be very good in their proper roles. I think most of us end up doing it too. I b****ed about Wise all the time and then I still defend Kenny. But f*** Kenny.

Upper management had a ton of money committed to veterans going into this season, with ownership screaming to put the brakes on spending. This is why we ended up with Jones/Kotsay instead of Damon or Matsui.

If veterans like Peavy, Floyd, Jenks, Quentin, Pierre, Alexei, and AJ had played at even an average level this season, we wouldn't be whining about below-average players playing at a below-average level. Hell, even if Kenny had spent on Damon or Matsui, this team still wouldn't win crap with Teahen having the fourth-highest OPS+ among regular and semi-regular players.