Joe Cowley says our season is over: do you agree?

whitesoxfan101

Are the Sox Done?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is the White Sox Season over?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:06 AM)
Aside from opening day, this has not been a fun season...at all.

Thank goodness for the Hawks.

That pretty much sums it up. It's been an incredibly frustrating season, and I don't think we'll start feeling better until some moves are made and we can actually start looking towards 2011.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
That pretty much sums it up. It's been an incredibly frustrating season, and I don't think we'll start feeling better until some moves are made and we can actually start looking towards 2011.

Or until the players we will be depending on in 2011 start playing much better.

its over.

And Cowley is high if he thinks that after a horrible season and lower revenue, that JR is going to go out and spend $20 mil on Cliff Lee. (especially after seeing what Jake Peavy and his contract can do for you) Also, the $18 million or whatever he thinks it will take to get Carl Crawford.

What is the highest annual contract amount that the Sox have ever signed, especially long term? $14 million?

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 10:27 AM)
What is the highest annual contract amount that the Sox have ever signed, especially long term? $14 million?

The highest value single contract the Sox have signed was Konerko's 5/$60.

The highest value 1 year payment that the Sox have signed was Buehrle's 4/$56, with the $14 million/year latter years.

The Sox have offered higher values than that (i.e. the offered Ordonez deal, the Torii Hunter offer) but have not signed.

The Sox have also taken on Jake Peavy's deal, which pays $15 mil this year, $16 mil next year, and $17 mil in the final year of the deal, but that was not "signed" by the Sox, only taken on.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
Was it over when Houston was 15-30?

NO....

It's probably over though.

That's why I said 1 in 50. Its not quite zero. But its such a long shot now, that it seems better to think about 2011. If you happen to catch some magical run somehow along the way, then great.

The issue with us is that we're not in a situation where we can just sit back and wait like the 2005 Astros did, KW will get some major pressure from JR and the shareholders to drop payroll at any cost come the end of June is my guess.

It's hard to say it in June but it's almost like every game now is a must win if they will keep the team together.

And regarding AJ I don't see too many takers until the deadline so we may have to deal with his 10/5 clause, just a hunch

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 07:38 AM)
That's why I said 1 in 50. Its not quite zero. But its such a long shot now, that it seems better to think about 2011. If you happen to catch some magical run somehow along the way, then great.

Sadly, I'm beginning to agree with you. If they're still several games under .500 a few weeks from now, I'll be sticking a fork in them as well.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)
KW will get some major pressure from JR and the shareholders to drop payroll at any cost come the end of June is my guess.

Yep. JR alluded to this earlier in the year.

And regarding AJ I don't see too many takers until the deadline so we may have to deal with his 10/5 clause, just a hunch

Yeah, there's a good chance that our only compensation for AJ will be a draft pick. Jenks will probably be claimed off of waivers in August (somebody will take a flyer on him), but the money saved will be minimal at that point.

I'd be talking to PK about a contract extension right now. If he indicates that he wants to test the FA market at the end of the season, I'd be looking to deal him as well.

NO....

:lol: There's gonna be a lot of people eating crow at the end of the season, and I don't want to hear that anyone's happy to eat it!

Seriously though, can we stop referring to Quentin as The Carlos Quentin? The guy does not deserve that nickname, and it's about to be two straight seasons of not deserving it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
The highest value single contract the Sox have signed was Konerko's 5/$60.

The highest value 1 year payment that the Sox have signed was Buehrle's 4/$56, with the $14 million/year latter years.

The Sox have offered higher values than that (i.e. the offered Ordonez deal, the Torii Hunter offer) but have not signed.

The Sox have also taken on Jake Peavy's deal, which pays $15 mil this year, $16 mil next year, and $17 mil in the final year of the deal, but that was not "signed" by the Sox, only taken on.

I'm pretty sure the final year of Magglio's deal with us was for $14.5 million.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:23 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox01.article

I know most around here don't like Cowley, but do you agree with him? I know this much: his ideas to "clean up the mess" aren't things I necessarily agree with.

The truth is sometimes hard to swallow. At this point in time though I feel strongly both ways about the argument

NO....

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?!?!?!

In all seriousness, though, I'm in the "it's over" camp. :( After the disaster of the 2007 season, I still remember the feeling of watching the Sox lose again and again, and that feeling started early this season. It just feels like the Sox dug themselves in a big hole that's becoming increasingly difficult to climb out of due to their own ineptitude and the fact that the Twins are playing strong.

I still think Joe Cowley is a douche and that it's ridiculous to think of the White Sox shelling 20 million for Cliff Lee. What is Cowley trying to do? Get his column in the comics page below "Pearls Before Swine"?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
Vizquel can at least field the position, and is going to give you the same sort of offensive numbers that Teahen has to this point anyway.

Teahen's OPS has been significantly better than Vizquel's. I realize that's a "tallest midget" comparison, but at least Teahen's is capable of an occasional extra-base hit.

Agreed about his defense, though. I foresee Teahen moving to 1B or a corner OF position next year.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
Teahen's OPS has been significantly better than Vizquel's. I realize that's a "tallest midget" comparison, but at least Teahen's is capable of an occasional extra-base hit.

Agreed about his defense, though. I foresee Teahen moving to 1B or a corner OF position next year.

No way. He doesn't mash enough to even be considered for a prime hitting position. Teahen next year will move to Kotsay's position, Utility RF/3B/1B position. Teahen's actually been what everyone's expected, problem is its what everyone's expected.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)

LOL, I hope you don't mean 1B or corner OF for the Chicago White Sox. At that point you may as well DFA him and eat the rest of his bad contract, because there will be reclamation projects available at the league minimum over the offseason who will offer far greater upside at those positions than Mark Teahen would.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
No way. He doesn't mash enough to even be considered for a prime hitting position.

Imagine how bad this lineup is going to be without PK, AJ, and Jones next year. Teahen might be the fifth-best hitter in the lineup.

Teahen next year will move to Kotsay's position, Utility RF/3B/1B position. Teahen's actually been what everyone's expected, problem is its what everyone's expected.

Teahen's getting paid way too much money to be a utility player.

It's been a boring season and yes, frustrating to watch the pitchers get rocked. The team either doesn't know how to win or is incapable of winning more than the occasional series. Not one hitter besides Rios and Konerko have done anything exciting.

Sox should have stood pat offensively. No way the Dye, Thome plodders and Pods could have done any worse than this.

Team gets a grade of D and overall mood exhibited by team: boring. Boring offseason moves. Boring everything.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
Vizquel can at least field the position, and is going to give you the same sort of offensive numbers that Teahen has to this point anyway.

I'd much rather have Vizquel anyway, even if Teahen would hit better. We're not scoring runs, and when the team isn't scoring runs you can't afford to play bad defense. Since Mark Teahen is our worst defensive player and since he is also one of our s***tiest offensive players, taking him out and subbing in an even worse offensive player who can at least play GG defense is still a net upgrade. If baseball players were fruit, Mark Teahen would be a sack of rotten apples. Go Royals.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
LOL, I hope you don't mean 1B or corner OF for the Chicago White Sox. At that point you may as well DFA him and eat the rest of his bad contract, because there will be reclamation projects available at the league minimum over the offseason who will offer far greater upside at those positions than Mark Teahen would.

Kenny isn't going to DFA a guy with $10M remaining on his contract. He could deal him for a throw-away prospect while eating a portion of that salary, but he tends to not do that. It's more likely that Teahen plays LF and Pierre is the odd man out.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Kenny isn't going to DFA a guy with $10M remaining on his contract. He could deal him for a throw-away prospect while eating a portion of that salary, but he tends to not do that. It's more likely that Teahen plays LF and Pierre is the odd man out.

I agree. I'm just saying that if playing him at 1B/corner OF was the only option available, straight DFAing him would still be a better idea. Teahen will in all likelihood end up as one of the most expensive UT men in baseball, and it'll probably be with us. And he'll probably be just as bad in the field with us as he was with the Royals. Great find, Kenny.

You guys that have season tickets will go out of your mind watching a team with Teahen playing LF or 1B or anywhere next year. It'd be tough to pay money to watch him play on a regular basis as he has this year before he got hurt. Do you just try to drink n eat all game and enjoy the ballpark experience rather than think about him being out there?