Joe Cowley says our season is over: do you agree?

whitesoxfan101

Are the Sox Done?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is the White Sox Season over?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team seems to love the terms platoon and protecting a bullpen.

When I heard Lillibridge was coming up because he can platoon and pinch run I just shook my head. Bring up Morel and see what he can do or bring up Viciedo and let him DH. You do this every day until Teahen comes back......nope we will get the Omar/Nix/Lillibridge platoon...ugh.

I would have liked to see Retehrford I know he is having a terrible season but a change in venue could help we have seen Lillibridge, there is nothing there.

I agree 100% on Lucy. Tyler Colvin was not a highly rated guy

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
Yeah but there was a 5 or 6 week stretch when it felt like 3 runs per game was a near impossibility.

Oh trust me, I recall that. I don't think it was 5 or 6 weeks - the entire season is only 8 weeks old.

The Tigers have scored 5 more runs than us on the season, and they are right in the thick of things. There is no excuse for this team to not be in a competitive position given the pitching we have. We all knew, coming in, that our strength was going to be our starting pitching.

Uhh, wtf happened?

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
This team seems to love the terms platoon and protecting a bullpen.

When I heard Lillibridge was coming up because he can platoon and pinch run I just shook my head. Bring up Morel and see what he can do or bring up Viciedo and let him DH. You do this every day until Teahen comes back......nope we will get the Omar/Nix/Lillibridge platoon...ugh.

I would have liked to see Retehrford I know he is having a terrible season but a change in venue could help we have seen Lillibridge, there is nothing there.

I agree 100% on Lucy. Tyler Colvin was not a highly rated guy

We'll have 2 months to watch these guys play.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
I'd say you have the option to be peaceful. :huh

Okay...

I hate the way that Mike Caruso OOPS - Gordon Beckham was anointed the Next Big Thing - only to turn out to be trash.

I hate the way Carlos Quentin has totally and completely sh*t the bed and will seemingly never be TCQ from 2008 again.

I hate that Peavy talked all that sh*t, and is being out pitched by Freddy F***ing Garcia.

I hate the way Buehrle seemingly blew his arm out throwing that f**king perfect game.

I hate that Mark F**king Teahen couldn't catch a molasses covered softball hit right at him.

I hate the way Mark Kotsay is given at bats like he's Justin F**king Morneau.

I hate the way fat a$$ Bobby Jenks can't get a f**king 1-2-3 inning.

I hate how Alexei Ramirez acts like he's got cow sh*t for brains at times in the field.

I hate how AJ's batting average sucks this year.

I hate how no one in the minor leagues is playing worth a damn.

Last but not least, I absolutely hate Thunderbolt's sad sad quote about our uneducated manager:

"There's too much freaking information in baseball now," Guillen said. "There's too many (bleeping) guys on the computer. It's simple. I say that. Pete Rose never watched a computer. Rod Carew never did. All those hitters, they go out and see the ball, hit it and move on."

Ahhh... I actually feel a little better now...

Edited by Chet Kincaid

How about like/dislike (love/hate)

Like: Freddy Garcia...pleasant surprise

Dislike: Jake Peavy...very disappointing

Like: Alex Rios...All-Star caliber year

Dislike: Quentin...'nuff said

Like: Konerko...power hitting with a decent average

Dislike: Beckham...disappointing sophmore year

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
No, since Kotsay doesn't pitch. I appreciate the smartassedness, but Kotsay is absolutely brutal in the 5-hole. He's a serviceable back-up 1B, and it's unfortunate that he can't be used as he would be more useful.

I agree with the fact that the rotation has sucked. I was just saying that the offense, and factors within, have sucked as well.

People here were worried about the rotating DH, Teahen, Pierre, and the bullpen, as the primary concerns. As it turns out, the bullpen has been pretty good (though Williams sucks and Jenks has been heart attack central), Pierre is getting it together, Teahen has been meh offensively and bad defensively, and the rotating DH of Kotsay and Jones has not been the big problem in the lineup.

Instead, its mostly the starting rotation, and guys like Beckham and Quentin who we thought would do well, that are causing the biggest problems.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
So it's J4L's fault that he wasn't born yet when you started going to games?

Enough with the cock measuring.

And there's no need to lecture people about "how they're better Sox fans" because they have a more optimistic approach to this year's team than others....I mean, come on, how can someone have joined the White Sox bandwagon in 2005 when many people were a fan of the team for decades before that?

Why do we need to hear that sh--? Fine, he's a younger fan...then stop measuring who's a better fan based on their reaction to this season's putrid results. Even the "best" Sox fans can't easily digest this season. All you will have to do is look at the attendance figures from here on out to understand the malaise the entire franchise has fallen into just 4-5 years removed from glory. If nothing else, it was runaway hubris to think that this franchise was going to become a dynasty, pull even with the Cubs in terms of critical mass and win the hearts and minds of young fans throughout the Midwest. We might be the most irrelevant team in the AL today if not for the Kansas City Royals and Baltimore Orioles, and both those teams have loaded minor league systems to look forward to and give them some type of reason to believe in the future.

Seriously, if I wanted a lecture about it, I would listen to MIT/CAL TECH/CAMBRIDGE/OXFORD taped ones, where I can learn something new about the world.

Does it please any of us who questioned the make-up of this team coming into the season? No, not really.

It displeases me more that our GM and manager are so completely clueless about how to fix this mess...it's not like we have a plethora of minor league talent waiting to rise to the top like the Indians do.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
And there's no need to lecture people about "how they're better Sox fans" because they have a more optimistic approach to this year's team than others....I mean, come on, how can someone have joined the White Sox bandwagon in 2005 when many people were a fan of the team for decades before that?

Why do we need to hear that sh--? Fine, he's a younger fan...then stop measuring who's a better fan based on their reaction to this season's putrid results. Even the "best" Sox fans can't easily digest this season. All you will have to do is look at the attendance figures from here on out to understand the malaise the entire franchise has fallen into just 4-5 years removed from glory. If nothing else, it was runaway hubris to think that this franchise was going to become a dynasty, pull even with the Cubs in terms of critical mass and win the hearts and minds of young fans throughout the Midwest. We might be the most irrelevant team in the AL today if not for the Kansas City Royals and Baltimore Orioles, and both those teams have loaded minor league systems to look forward to and give them some type of reason to believe in the future.

Seriously, if I wanted a lecture about it, I would listen to MIT/CAL TECH/CAMBRIDGE/OXFORD taped ones, where I can learn something new about the world.

Does it please any of us who questioned the make-up of this team coming into the season? No, not really.

It displeases me more that our GM and manager are so completely clueless about how to fix this mess...it's not like we have a plethora of minor league talent waiting to rise to the top like the Indians do.

No, you're right, I should have mentioned something about J4L's post as well. My bad.

As for the long-term future of this organization, I am not worried about that at all. We have plenty of pieces to trade into a nice long-term picture, if that indeed is the direction we ultimately go.

I don't want to fight with j4l again...hopefully that can be spared. He's at least passionate about the Sox, I'll give him that. Same with greg, even though he drives me crazy (just like I do others!) 85% of the time. But I always read everyones' posts here, no matter what...at least when I have the time.

Usually he J4L attacks me first, lol. It just reminds me of 2006 when the "dark clouds" were increasingly gathering and yet those holding onto 2005 and first half of 2006 wouldn't let go and bullied everyone who saw the inevitable dissolution of the World Series team coming sooner rather than later. I just don't see the point in good White Sox fans fighting each other over something pretty silly and not even quantifiable.

Everyone has different ways of dealing with disappointment. To say someone is less of a fan because they turn off the game early, don't even tune in at all, don't believe the team has the ability to turn things around and make a comeback...everyone has their threshold.

I tried to get invested in the minor league system and it's hard to do even that this season.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
I don't want to fight with j4l again...hopefully that can be spared. He's at least passionate about the Sox, I'll give him that. Same with greg, even though he drives me crazy (just like I do others!) 85% of the time. But I always read everyones' posts here, no matter what...at least when I have the time.

Usually he J4L attacks me first, lol. It just reminds me of 2006 when the "dark clouds" were increasingly gathering and yet those holding onto 2005 and first half of 2006 wouldn't let go and bullied everyone who saw the inevitable dissolution of the World Series team coming sooner rather than later. I just don't see the point in good White Sox fans fighting each other over something pretty silly and not even quantifiable.

Everyone has different ways of dealing with disappointment. To say someone is less of a fan because they turn off the game early, don't even tune in at all, don't believe the team has the ability to turn things around and make a comeback...everyone has their threshold.

I tried to get invested in the minor league system and it's hard to do even that this season.

I think his main point is simply that you have to suffer through the bad times to really appreciate the great times.

I watch them every chance I get. That's not to say that I am any better of a fan than anyone else for doing so. It's just my way of being a fan. Everyone has their own way of coping.

If this is the venting thread are we gonna have an official "Blow it all up & firesale" thread? I ask cuz Cowley is implying blow it all, albeit not completely.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
I think his main point is simply that you have to suffer through the bad times to really appreciate the great times.

I watch them every chance I get. That's not to say that I am any better of a fan than anyone else for doing so. It's just my way of being a fan. Everyone has their own way of coping.

That's pretty much it. I just can't subscribe to "I'm quitting" the Sox. I mean for how long? Until they get good again? Then acknowledge you're a bandwagoner and leave it at that. Isn't that the exact definition of a bandwagoner? And to answer caufield's question, my first game was in 1991 against the Blue Jays. For me, the strike and the '95 season that followed was the most trying time to be a Sox fan. The organization was in total disarray after looking like a potential powerhouse. But I never once "quit" on the team. Does that mean I've never turned a game off in which we're getting our asses kicked early? Of course not. Does that mean I've never turned to something else, whether it be another sporting event or some random TV show, if the Sox are 12 games out with 20 to go? Of course not. Have I ever bypassed going to a Sox game for something else because the team was bad? You better believe it. But there's a big difference between that and making claims (which most people never follow through on anyway) that they're "quitting" the White Sox. This is probably a bad analogy, but it's like those who talk about suicide before doing it. Those that make it known have no intention of doing it but are just looking for attention. If you're gonna off yourself, do it. Don't talk about it. That was my point to Shipps.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)

Pretty much. I lived through the late '80s, and that was a lot worse than the past 3 1/2 years have been. If the Sox have to go through another stretch like that to be competitive again, so be it. I'll still be here.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 03:02 PM)
Pretty much. I lived through the late '80s, and that was a lot worse than the past 3 1/2 years have been. If the Sox have to go through another stretch like that to be competitive again, so be it. I'll still be here.

I'll admit, Ivan Bubbling Calderon was my favorite player back then.

So many characters, you had Ozzie and Steve Psycho Lyons, Baines was the best player, Kenny Williams, Melido Perez, Carlos Martinez, Craig Grebeck, Ron Karkovice Squad, at least those teams weren't mind-numblingly dull.

Thigpen always made saves interesting, even moreso than Jenks.

Greg "The Bulldog" Hibbard, or Hibbie.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
Seems like this board might die by October with all these 'fans' giving up! ;)

I still will watch every game, I

You can admit they're dead and still watch the games and post on the boards, such things aren't mutually exclusive. I know I fall into all 3 of those categories.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

If I lived in Chicago and every game was on TV, I would probably be watching a lot more games, but as it is right now I don't have a long cable connecting my PC to my TV so I have to sit in front of the PC, which takes a lot of willpower. mlb.tv was the best thing ever for me in 2006 because I was out of town for half that season and because I don't live in Chicago. So I watched in 2007 when they were bad, but eventually I lost interest because it just hurt too much to watch and I got sick of seeing Gonzalez, or Erstad. The 2008 team was mediocre, but they were in a division race that they eventually won, and the blackout game made that season worth it, so I stayed on most of the year. I started feeling the same pangs of mediocrity early into 2009, but would end up watching a lot of games anyway, because that team didn't have painful, gaping holes like 2007 did. But eventually, towards the end of the season when it became clear they were underperforming again, I lost interest. This year they sucked hard, almost right out of the gate. It seemed like 2007 hurt worse because it was out of the blue and so close to 2005, but I can't say I didn't see 2010 coming. I was optimistic, but around the 3rd week of April, I didn't feel like I was pushing the panic button when the team was playing like they thought Opening Day was in May despite the objections from posters here.

I'm not a fairweather fan... the only reason I didn't watch a lot of games pre-2005 was because I left for the Army in early 2001 and was gone overseas a lot... incidentally, the season before that where I can remember watching a lot of games was 2000, the summer that I graduated high school. The fact that the 2000 squad was fun to watch and made the playoffs was a coincidence. Then it was another coincidence that I started watching a lot of games in 2005 of all years because although I was still in the Army, I had some kind of stability where I actually had time to do that again.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
That's pretty much it. I just can't subscribe to "I'm quitting" the Sox. I mean for how long? Until they get good again? Then acknowledge you're a bandwagoner and leave it at that. Isn't that the exact definition of a bandwagoner? And to answer caufield's question, my first game was in 1991 against the Blue Jays. For me, the strike and the '95 season that followed was the most trying time to be a Sox fan. The organization was in total disarray after looking like a potential powerhouse. But I never once "quit" on the team. Does that mean I've never turned a game off in which we're getting our asses kicked early? Of course not. Does that mean I've never turned to something else, whether it be another sporting event or some random TV show, if the Sox are 12 games out with 20 to go? Of course not. Have I ever bypassed going to a Sox game for something else because the team was bad? You better believe it. But there's a big difference between that and making claims (which most people never follow through on anyway) that they're "quitting" the White Sox. This is probably a bad analogy, but it's like those who talk about suicide before doing it. Those that make it known have no intention of doing it but are just looking for attention. If you're gonna off yourself, do it. Don't talk about it. That was my point to Shipps.

If you've been a fan through all those bad seasons then you should be quite accustomed to pissed off fans who feel ripped off and/or hurt by the organization saying they're quitting the team. However, very few people who are fans enough to post here ever will quit the team.

I also don't get the correlation between hardcore baseball fans who threaten to give up an interest that probably eats away far too much of their time as it is and those people who are truly suicidal and are threatening to put their loved ones through hell for the rest of their lives. You kind of want people who feel suicidal to talk about their problems so they can get help. Because you know, there are a lot of people on this board even who have had friends or relatives kill themselves, so that's not very cool.

I figure your point is that you're such a hardass that you do everything you say when you say you're going to do it, and everyone else should follow suit, and also that baseball, like life or death, is a serious matter that should never be taken lightly under any circumstances. But in reality, this is a message board that survives entirely because of pissed off fans who feel the need to b****, use hyperbole, make broad generalizations and outlandish statements, etc. So basically, if everyone who felt like b****ing and threatening to quit the team left the board, then there really would be no reason to have the board in the first place, and if that were the case, you and I both would have no place to lecture our fellow Sox fans. So that's not good for anyone.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
Seems like this board might die by October with all these 'fans' giving up! ;)

I still will watch every game, I

you want this sundays tickets free?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
If you've been a fan through all those bad seasons then you should be quite accustomed to pissed off fans who feel ripped off and/or hurt by the organization saying they're quitting the team. However, very few people who are fans enough to post here ever will quit the team.

I also don't get the correlation between hardcore baseball fans who threaten to give up an interest that probably eats away far too much of their time as it is and those people who are truly suicidal and are threatening to put their loved ones through hell for the rest of their lives. You kind of want people who feel suicidal to talk about their problems so they can get help. Because you know, there are a lot of people on this board even who have had friends or relatives kill themselves, so that's not very cool.

I figure your point is that you're such a hardass that you do everything you say when you say you're going to do it, and everyone else should follow suit, and also that baseball, like life or death, is a serious matter that should never be taken lightly under any circumstances. But in reality, this is a message board that survives entirely because of pissed off fans who feel the need to b****, use hyperbole, make broad generalizations and outlandish statements, etc. So basically, if everyone who felt like b****ing and threatening to quit the team left the board, then there really would be no reason to have the board in the first place, and if that were the case, you and I both would have no place to lecture our fellow Sox fans. So that's not good for anyone.

Scrumtralescent.