Joe Cowley says our season is over: do you agree?

whitesoxfan101

Are the Sox Done?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Is the White Sox Season over?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
If you've been a fan through all those bad seasons then you should be quite accustomed to pissed off fans who feel ripped off and/or hurt by the organization saying they're quitting the team. However, very few people who are fans enough to post here ever will quit the team.

I know this. Which is why I find it extra annoying when multiple posts/threads are made declaring their White Sox fandom over.

I also don't get the correlation between hardcore baseball fans who threaten to give up an interest that probably eats away far too much of their time as it is and those people who are truly suicidal and are threatening to put their loved ones through hell for the rest of their lives. You kind of want people who feel suicidal to talk about their problems so they can get help. Because you know, there are a lot of people on this board even who have had friends or relatives kill themselves, so that's not very cool.

I have no sympathy whatsoever to those who even talk about, let alone actually commit, the cowardly act of suicide. But I will concede that was a bad analogy.

I figure your point is that you're such a hardass that you do everything you say when you say you're going to do it, and everyone else should follow suit, and also that baseball, like life or death, is a serious matter that should never be taken lightly under any circumstances. But in reality, this is a message board that survives entirely because of pissed off fans who feel the need to b****, use hyperbole, make broad generalizations and outlandish statements, etc. So basically, if everyone who felt like b****ing and threatening to quit the team left the board, then there really would be no reason to have the board in the first place, and if that were the case, you and I both would have no place to lecture our fellow Sox fans. So that's not good for anyone.

No, you're not going to justify to me excessive whining "I'm done with this team," ect, because this is a message board and it's OK to act that way. Do you have the right to? Sure. But don't act like the only reason or main reason message boards exist is to b****, moan, whine, cry, whatever, when things aren't going well.

Edited by Jordan4life

The offense, defense and starting pitching suck but the season isn't over. I'd enjoy watching a lot more if they can turn their record around and make things interesting. This is like the Murphy's Law White Sox. Whatever can go wrong has gone wrong. It can't last so I'll watch the victories and and hope for comebacks when we're down and pray things improve.

I dunno, I think they are done this year, but there's no way I will ever stop being a White Sox fan. Just like I will never stop being a Packers fan. It's just a part of me. I've integrated these two teams so hardcore into my life that it would be nearly impossible for me to just drop them (I'd lost about half my wardrobe). I b**** probably more than anyone else, but this is still my team. Through the thick and thin, I will be a Sox fan. I can't wait til I get to take my first kid to the Cell for the first time (or wherever they play at that time).

So yes, I think the season is over, but no, I'm never going to "quit" this team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
The offense, defense and starting pitching suck but the season isn't over. I'd enjoy watching a lot more if they can turn their record around and make things interesting. This is like the Murphy's Law White Sox. Whatever can go wrong has gone wrong. It can't last so I'll watch the victories and and hope for comebacks when we're down and pray things improve.

Ahh, thank you for that, my friend. I truly enjoyed that after what Mark and Gavin (and the Rangers) have taken out of me this week...

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
How is it that Minnesota can put a contender out there year after year and we seem to be watching the same movie since second half, 2006?

I would assume since they are a small market they decide to invest in scouting and development. From what I've seen the previous two seasons the Sox are very bad at this. It scares me when people think of trading certain veteran players for prospects.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 1, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
None of this matters until we get a manager that can make the right decisions. This is Ozzie's team, and he deserves to take the fall for it and be fired now or at the end of the year along with the majority of his coaching staff.

I assume you think 9/11 was a conspiracy as well. This was Kenny's team with Reinsdorf's budget.

I doubt Ozzie wanted Teahan, Vasquel and Pierre. Ozzie wants a certain mold but definitely NOT these guys.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
Okay...

I hate the way that Mike Caruso OOPS - Gordon Beckham was anointed the Next Big Thing - only to turn out to be trash.

I hate the way Carlos Quentin has totally and completely sh*t the bed and will seemingly never be TCQ from 2008 again.

I hate that Peavy talked all that sh*t, and is being out pitched by Freddy F***ing Garcia.

I hate the way Buehrle seemingly blew his arm out throwing that f**king perfect game.

I hate that Mark F**king Teahen couldn't catch a molasses covered softball hit right at him.

I hate the way Mark Kotsay is given at bats like he's Justin F**king Morneau.

I hate the way fat a$$ Bobby Jenks can't get a f**king 1-2-3 inning.

I hate how Alexei Ramirez acts like he's got cow sh*t for brains at times in the field.

I hate how AJ's batting average sucks this year.

I hate how no one in the minor leagues is playing worth a damn.

Last but not least, I absolutely hate Thunderbolt's sad sad quote about our uneducated manager:

"There's too much freaking information in baseball now," Guillen said. "There's too many (bleeping) guys on the computer. It's simple. I say that. Pete Rose never watched a computer. Rod Carew never did. All those hitters, they go out and see the ball, hit it and move on."

Ahhh... I actually feel a little better now...

Well done. I couldn't read a better summary.

BTW this season was over long before it started. Could anyone really think back in Feb. this would be a World Series caliber team?

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)

BTW this season was over long before it started. Could anyone really think back in Feb. this would be a World Series caliber team?

I agree 100% on the first part.

No one thought that they were a WS favorite, but many really thought they could compete with the Twins for the division title, as did I. Then, with this pitching staff, or at least what this pitching staff was supposed to be, maybe they could get hot in the postseason.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)
I assume you think 9/11 was a conspiracy as well. This was Kenny's team with Reinsdorf's budget.

I doubt Ozzie wanted Teahan, Vasquel and Pierre. Ozzie wants a certain mold but definitely NOT these guys.

You don't think he wanted Pierre?

You don't think he is the VERY REASON Omar is here?

You don't think he is the reason Kotsay is here?

Despite what many seem to believe, this is Ozzie's team, no matter how badly some want to put the blame on Kenny. Certainly KW should not escape blame either, but the character of this roster was changed to appease Ozzie Guillen.

Needless to say, this point is moot, as it has been the SP, at least IMHO, that has really cost us a chance at getting back in this thing.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)

Juan Pierre is absolutely, positively 100 percent Ozzie's boo

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 10:49 AM)

"Yes, with no doubt," Guillen said. "I couldn't care less what people think and say and what the expectations are. I know as soon as we got this ballclub. I remember telling Kenny 20 times, 'I like what we have. I think we are OK. Don't add any more players.'

"He kept calling me every week. Well, I guess Kenny knew more than I do because he said he wanted to add someone else and I was,'No, no, no.' Because looking at this lineup and this team, this team is not a .500 team or even below .500 team. I don't think so. I don't want to say it's a shame because things happen and we still continue to play, but it surprises me the way we are playing."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

This was Ozzie's baby from day 1. He deserves a pretty decent sized chunk of the blame for what's taken place so far.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

This was Ozzie's baby from day 1. He deserves a pretty decent sized chunk of the blame for what's taken place so far.

Not referring to Kite, but it's been amazing to see those that at the beginning of the season state they were optimistic because Ozzie finally has "his team" backtrack from that and try to blame KW for the roster.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
Not referring to Kite, but it's been amazing to see those that at the beginning of the season state they were optimistic because Ozzie finally has "his team" backtrack from that and try to blame KW for the roster.

You could threaten to cut my arms and legs off and I will never say winning it all in 2005 was a bad thing. But I think the way we won it has ultimately turned out to he the death of this franchise (for the moment).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 05:39 PM)
You could threaten to cut my arms and legs off and I will never say winning it all in 2005 was a bad thing. But I think the way we won it has ultimately turned out to he the death of this franchise (for the moment).

The thing is, it's the misconception about the way we won it that's hurt more than anything. Sure, Pods was great the first 2 months or so, but we still hit a ton of home runs and the entire team thrived due to its strong starting pitching and once-in-a-lifetime bullpen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)

That’s what I meant when i said that the 2005 World Series was both the best and worst thing that could ever happen to this franchise. It was incredible and I wouldn't trade it for the entire world, but it made this organization far too willing to make excuses for the guys in charge.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
That’s what I meant when i sad that the 2005 World Series was both the best and worst thing that could ever happen to this franchise. It was incredible and I wouldn’t trade it for the entire world, but it made this organization far too willing to make excuses for the guys in charge.

And the way we've become obsessed with taking on reclamation projects and putting faith in guys who haven't done s*** for years. It worked in 2005. But that was an outlier. That's no way to build towards a sustained run of success. It'd be nice to go into a season not praying for bounce back or career years from half the roster.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
You don't think he wanted Pierre?

You don't think he is the VERY REASON Omar is here?

You don't think he is the reason Kotsay is here?

Despite what many seem to believe, this is Ozzie's team, no matter how badly some want to put the blame on Kenny. Certainly KW should not escape blame either, but the character of this roster was changed to appease Ozzie Guillen.

Needless to say, this point is moot, as it has been the SP, at least IMHO, that has really cost us a chance at getting back in this thing.

That likely applies to Thome. But the preponderance of slap-hitting retreads on the wrong side of 30 is due to budgetary constraints more than anything else.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
And the way we've become obsessed with taking on reclamation projects and putting faith in guys who haven't done s*** for years. It worked in 2005. But that was an outlier. That's no way to build towards a sustained run of success. It'd be nice to go into a season not praying for bounce back or career years from half the roster.

when you put as much money into the pitching staff as the Sox did, they had to make the lineup this way.

The bottom line is the Sox thought the starting pitching would carry the team and the undermanned lineup would score enough runs to win. We all knew the lineup wasn't going to very good thus I'm not really to disappointed in them. The starting is the first last and biggest disappointment and the cause of this team's poor performance.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
The thing is, it's the misconception about the way we won it that's hurt more than anything. Sure, Pods was great the first 2 months or so, but we still hit a ton of home runs and the entire team thrived due to its strong starting pitching and once-in-a-lifetime bullpen.

It drives me batty to see people who think the 2005 team won because of small ball. However, its equally annoying when people think small ball didn't have SOME impact. The 2005 team was great primarily due to pitching, but it wouldn't have been nearly as good if it wasn't also quite good at (in order of importance): defense, home runs, situational hitting, and yes, small ball/manufacturing runs when the offense had a down day.

All those things needed to be there for 2005 to have happened. Not some - all.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)

Posts like this make me laugh. The things people complained most about in February - lack of power, rotating DH, bullpen, Teahen's bat, Pierre's all-around game... are not the main reasons why this team has sucked. So don't give me this crap that you were somehow preternatural in knowing how this season would go, and smarter than everyone else.

This team is 7.5 games back because the vaunted starting pitching has an ERA north of 5, and many of the key offensive players have sucked (Quentin, Beckham, Ramirez, Pierzynski). These were things that were not anticipated. Sure, some people had conerns about Quentin specifically, or about Peavy's recovery. But I would like someone to show me any poster who predicted the starting staff would be 4/5 bad, and that all four of those guys would be hitting 50-100 points below normal for the first two months. Good luck.