Ken Griffey, Jr Retires

Steve9347

His HOF plaque will say "Chicago, A.L" as one of his teams. As short of a time as he spent with the Sox, I still can't believe it. He's going out on his own, instead of getting released

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
Jesus... my favorite player of all time (emulated his stance to hitting left-handed, to playing CF) is officially done. He and Frank I adored growing up. I actually teared up a bit hearing this.

Its awesome that he was a Sox, even if it was for a very short time.. but awesome none the less

Growing up my favorite player was Frank Thomas. My brother's was Griffey. We'd debate over and over about who was better. Definitely a sad day. He was a class act and along with Thomas was one of the first players in the game to make an impression on me growing up. Shame injuries derailed him a bit, I'd much rather he have the HR record than Bonds or soon to be A-Roid

I first started watching baseball probably right when Griffey came into the league, and considering how great he was, it was easy to call him my favorite non-White Sox player. He made the game look effortless and fun, with his amazing range and defense, and that oh-so-pretty swing.

To one hell of a career, Jr :cheers

Griff is one of those players that younger fans will never understand just how good he really was in his prime because of how he played after leaving Seattle.

Had he not had all his injury problems after going to Cinci, he would have shattered the HR Record.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 08:58 AM)
Griff is one of those players that younger fans will never understand just how good he really was in his prime because of how he played after leaving Seattle.

Had he not had all his injury problems after going to Cinci, he would have shattered the HR Record.

I blame one of the most hideous looking baseball stadiums I've seen in my baseball fan lifetime: The Kingdome.

And they've been showing highlights throughout Griffey's career on MLB Network. Breathtaking.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:59 AM)
Jesus... my favorite player of all time (emulated his stance to hitting left-handed, to playing CF) is officially done. He and Frank I adored growing up. I actually teared up a bit hearing this.

That makes me, and you... I'm sure there are a few others here. Anyone else bat right-handed and tried to teach themselves to bat lefty just so they could do Griffey's stance and swing? It's a lot harder than it looks... perfection is hard to emulate!