Galarraga perfect game broken up by umpire

fathom

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:26 AM)
I agree with this, though I don't mind the Royals.

That's my point. You don't mind the Royals because you don't view them as a threat. Well the Sox are as irrelevant as irrelevant can be. So I don't really care what our rivals do, at least not like I would if we were actually a good team.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
Jesus Christ, man. Are you sure you like baseball? You don't watch the playoffs, the World Series...anything? You've never tuned into ESPN's game of the week or anything?

Have I ever watched a baseball game that wasn't the White Sox? Of course, ive gone to Astros games before and if there is nothing else on TV I will leave it on in the background as I do something else, but im not sitting in front of the TV gushing over Roy Oswalt or thinking "wow, that Lance Berkman is one heck of a ballplayer"

That s*** is W-E-A-K in my opinion.. If the Sox aren't in the playoffs, you bet im not watching.. like I care who wins the World Series, if its not the Sox I just don't care..

I just cant get excited about a game if its not the Sox.. And its not just baseball, its any sport.. My teams are my teams, I don't watch a game because a certain player is exciting, that's not why I watch sports.. I watch for my teams

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
That's my point. You don't mind the Royals because you don't view them as a threat. Well the Sox are as irrelevant as irrelevant can be. So I don't really care what our rivals do, at least not like I would if we were actually a good team.

This is what I don't get, you are going to get onto me for not liking non White Sox baseball yet when the Sox are suppose to be your team and they are not out of it by any means, regardless of how much they stink right now, the season is all but over for you..

Were only 5 games back of Detroit, so yes, I do fully believe that we could pass them.. will we catch the Twins? Probably not, but I think we could pass Detroit..

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:29 AM)

Well I agreed with TRU in a sense is I just hate Detroit. I hate everything about the city, fans, sports teams, etc. I find it hilarious that it happened to them. Now with that said, I will definitely root for Gallarraga through-out his career unless he is playing us. Gets screwed over, and was nothing but class about it. I respect that alot.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)
Well I agreed with TRU in a sense is I just hate Detroit.

see I don't hate Detroit, but I sure as hell don't wanna see them do good.. and I definitely don't want to have to see their team and Armando Gallaraga celebrate a perfect game on my TV for the next week or so..

there are very few teams that I can actually say I hate.. the Twins, Yankees, Cubs, Jets, Patriots, Cowboys, Red Wings, Lakers.. those are teams that I hate

anyways, I never want to see anyone do good if its going to directly effect one of my teams.. I don't give a s*** how historic it is.. and if you rooted for him to throw that perfect game, you are an embarrassment..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:37 AM)
This is what I don't get, you are going to get onto me for not liking non White Sox baseball yet when the Sox are suppose to be your team and they are not out of it by any means, regardless of how much they stink right now, the season is all but over for you..

Were only 5 games back of Detroit, so yes, I do fully believe that we could pass them.. will we catch the Twins? Probably not, but I think we could pass Detroit..

lol. Calm down. All I said was that I felt sorry for you because you're missing out on a lot. But you've made it clear you're a Sox fan only and not really a baseball fan. So that's fine. And honestly, I don't think we can catch Detroit. I was/am the most positive person on this entire board. But I think 50+ games is more than enough to get a good idea on what kind of team you have. I don't have to wait until the Sox are 12 games out with 20 to play to realize it's probably not meant to be. Now with that said, I will continue to support the team. I will continue to watch as many games as I possibly can. And I will always hold out hope. But at this point, I don't expect us to legitimately contend for the division this year. Of course, I'd LOVE to be wrong.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:38 AM)
Well I agreed with TRU in a sense is I just hate Detroit. I hate everything about the city, fans, sports teams, etc. I find it hilarious that it happened to them. Now with that said, I will definitely root for Gallarraga through-out his career unless he is playing us. Gets screwed over, and was nothing but class about it. I respect that alot.

Rooting for armando galarraga while he is with the tigers... or any team in the division for that matter... is rooting against the sox... in my book anyway. Can it not come back to bite the white sox in the ass? It may not appear that way while it's happening, but it is more than a feasibility. Rooting for anyone to succeed in your teams division on any given night has never made sense to me.... i'm always hoping for an 0- for the season effort by everyone... at all times. No one better question my love for the game of baseball, because they would be complete and utter fools. The other way around is foolish (wishing the best for players on a division rival to succeed). Joe mauer, while a great player, i wish nothing but the worst possible for him, day in, day out. Every division, and especially those in the national league, make, break, and do as much crazy s*** as possible. I love it.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:51 AM)
lol. Calm down. All I said was that I felt sorry for you because you're missing out on a lot. But you've made it clear you're a Sox fan only and not really a baseball fan. So that's fine. And honestly, I don't think we can catch Detroit. I was/am the most positive person on this entire board. But I think 50+ games is more than enough to get a good idea on what kind of team you have. I don't have to wait until the Sox are 12 games out with 20 to play to realize it's probably not meant to me. Now with that said, I will continue to support the team. I will continue to watch as many games as I possibly can. And I will always hold out hope. But at this point, I don't expect us to legitimately contend for the division this year. Of course, I'd LOVE to be wrong.

Well first of all, I don't know why you said calm down.. I didn't know that post I made looked hostile?

Secondly, I don't like it being referred to as im not a baseball fan, just a White Sox fan.. it makes it look like I don't know anything and just like a team just because.. Ive thought of different ways of putting it, but I cant put the words together for it.. either way, I do like baseball but im not one of those people who are going to watch a Cardinals game just to see Albert Pujols.. I don't care about that..

Anyways, is it really that believable that this team is going to hit .240 all season and the pitching is going to be this bad the rest of the way? I don't. Now that doesn't mean I think some unthinkable turnaround is going to happen, but its foolish to think there is no chance of that happening.. especially when it feels theres at least one team who does it every year..

5 games back of Detroit, and we've played about as bad as we possibly could have so far..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:44 AM)
see I don't hate Detroit, but I sure as hell don't wanna see them do good.. and I definitely don't want to have to see their team and Armando Gallaraga celebrate a perfect game on my TV for the next week or so..

there are very few teams that I can actually say I hate.. the Twins, Yankees, Cubs, Jets, Patriots, Cowboys, Red Wings, Lakers.. those are teams that I hate

anyways, I never want to see anyone do good if its going to directly effect one of my teams.. I don't give a s*** how historic it is.. and if you rooted for him to throw that perfect game, you are an embarrassment..

Ya I'm an embarrassment because I want to see someone do something thats only happened 20 times in the last 100+ years.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
Ya I'm an embarrassment because I want to see someone do something thats only happened 20 times in the last 100+ years.

You've seen two this season already, you'll live..

Edited by T R U

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
Rooting for armando galarraga while he is with the tigers... or any team in the division for that matter... is rooting againt the sox... in my book anyway.

Glad I don't give a s*** about your book then or any "uninformed secret" rules about the game. Like I said before, if he is pitching against us, hell to the f***ing no, and I hope he gets smacked around for 10 ER in a IP. Now if he is pitching against the Twins for the division title, I could give two s***s if the Tigers lose or not, but if he pitches well, then that is fine by me. I will also say that if he pitches has any barring on the SOX season (say perhaps a chance for the sox to clinch in any way instead of the Tigers for example), then again, I will say hell to the f***ing no. Anything dealing with the white sox I will not root for that man. Besides that.. it's fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)

The fact that there were only 17 in the history of the game coming into the 2009 season and less than a year and a half later we're looking at #21 is why I was rooting against him. How many people actually know that Jody Gerut hit for the cycle this year? Not many because it doesn't mean much anymore since they've become so common, 4 perfect games in a span of 9.5 months is just ridiculous and would be the beginning of the end for the perfect game. Perfect games are fun because they are so rare, once everyone starts throwing one they mean far less.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 02:03 AM)
The fact that there were only 17 in the history of the game coming into the 2009 season and less than a year and a half later we're looking at #21 is why I was rooting against him. How many people actually know that Jody Gerut hit for the cycle this year? Not many because it doesn't mean much anymore since they've become so common, 4 perfect games in a span of 9.5 months is just ridiculous and would be the beginning of the end for the perfect game. Perfect games are fun because they are so rare, once everyone starts throwing one they mean far less.

When I heard he was perfect in the 9th on the radio earlier in my car I was like you've gotta be f***in kidding me, again, ALREADY?

I have to say, I really applaud the way Galarraga and Joyce handled themselves after the game. Galarraga said he was ok and that he knows he threw a perfect game and that is all that matters. And, Joyce was beside himself on a radio interview and continually said how bad he felt that he screwed up. I lesser man (Joe West?) wouldnt have said a word.

Galarraga had the best comment thought. He simply said, in the end it doesnt matter what the umpire called... he'll show his kid the DVD of the game and that is all that matters. That is the absolute CORRECT attitude.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 07:55 PM)
Chances that MLB over turns a call that bad?

That thought crossed my mind too. I dont know what MLB has in it's power to do for something like this.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
MLB should choose to either give Galaragga the perfect game he pitched, or fire the umpire.

Let's not over react about firing the umpire. the dude made a mistake. He's HUMAN. I dare anyone here to say with 100% honesty that they have never made a mistake on the job. Unfortunately, sometimes those mistakes have larger consequences. My understanding is that Joyce is a farily well respected ump... although i havent consulted "Hawks Book of Bad Umpires".

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:05 PM)
I'm talking about in his interview after the game. He didn't even say a bad thing about the ump, just complimented his teammates and talked about how great of an experience it was. It was amazing to listen to.

100% class act.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 07:45 AM)
Ever heard of rivalries?

I wont get into this whole discussion other than to say I will always 100% respect accomplishments of opposing teams and rivals. If Carlos Zambrano goes out and throws a perfect game against the White Sox at the Cell and I was there, I would applaud. Not a doubt in my mind.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 08:48 AM)
I wont get into this whole discussion other than to say I will always 100% respect accomplishments of opposing teams and rivals. If Carlos Zambrano goes out and throws a perfect game against the White Sox at the Cell and I was there, I would applaud. Not a doubt in my mind.

I agree, but that's completely different than saying this.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 08:36 AM)
Deeply hating specific teams is kind of pointless. Very 'look at me look what i'm doing'

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 07:45 AM)
Let's not over react about firing the umpire. the dude made a mistake. He's HUMAN. I dare anyone here to say with 100% honesty that they have never made a mistake on the job. Unfortunately, sometimes those mistakes have larger consequences. My understanding is that Joyce is a farily well respected ump... although i havent consulted "Hawks Book of Bad Umpires".

That's the tough part. There's a fine line between human error and flat out not doing your job.

If you have that kind of error in a "real life" job, you would probably be fired.

Saying he should be fired was an over-reaction as he has proven to be a good umpire for 20+ years, but he at least needs to be suspended for a few weeks.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
That's the tough part. There's a fine line between human error and flat out not doing your job.

If you have that kind of error in a "real life" job, you would probably be fired.

Saying he should be fired was an over-reaction as he has proven to be a good umpire for 20+ years, but he at least needs to be suspended for a few weeks.

See, I just don't see it as a fire-able offense, or even a suspend-able offense. Is it a mistake? Yes. There are worse mistakes done every day. The ONLY difference is that this cost a pitcher a perfect game. BUT, the team still won. And ultimately, the game is about winning... not individual accomplishments.

On top of that, he was very apologetic about the event.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 2, 2010 -> 08:29 PM)
If that umpire is not fired, then I'm done with baseball.

Come on, that is pretty ridiculous. Joyce is one of the better umps in baseball. He just made a really terrible call at an awful time.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 3, 2010 -> 02:03 AM)

Well stated.