Koch pitching simulated game

aboz56

Ed Farmer said on the radio last night that Billy Koch was going to throw a 5 inning, simulated game this afternoon in KC. Apparently the purpose of the work will be to try and figure out what's wrong with Koch this season and what he needs to do to get back on track. The extra work won't hurt either. Farmer said he was going to watch him and try to see if he could see anything he is doing wrong. Farmio will most likely talk about it on the pre-game show tonight. Just thought this might be of some interest to Sox fans. Hopefully some good will come out of it and this definitely means Koch won't be used tonight or for a few days.

Can someone briefly explain to me exactly what a "simulated game" is.  I've heard that term used so many times, but I've never really known what it meant. 

:huh:

I think it's basically just a practice where the pitcher works in different situations, works on his pitches and "simulates" getting work like he would in a game. I am unsure if there are actually batters, baserunners or what, someone else would have to clarify on this.

Can someone briefly explain to me exactly what a "simulated game" is.  I've heard that term used so many times, but I've never really known what it meant. 

Good question clu, I've never really thought about it.

Do they throw to a machine? :huh:

They should have some sort of promotion, and let a few fans take some cuts off him.

They should have some sort of promotion, and let a few fans take some cuts off him.

Hawk--"And remember Sox fans, this Tuesday is Rick White BP day...if any fan can hit more than 3 HRs in 5 ABs off him, you get to personally define his role to him. I loooove promotions at the park."

Actually, I saw someone else throwing a simulated games on Sportscenter or baseball tonight a few days ago, just really briefly. there were hitters, and runners on base. No catcher, and the BP cage was around. I don't think they were really trying to get baserips, but they were there nonetheless.

Hawk--"And remember Sox fans, this Tuesday is Rick White BP day...if any fan can hit more than 3 HRs in 5 ABs off him, you get to personally define his role to him. I loooove promotions at the park."

Apparently, Rick White thinks his role is to throw batting practice during games.

Usually a hitter won't take any hacks in a simulated game but he will stand in the batters box.  And they do situations and all that type of stuff.

Its a great question though.

And based on where pitches are they tell the pitcher, OK that guy singled off of you, now you are pitching to such and such batter with guys on first and second and one out.

Usually a hitter won't take any hacks in a simulated game but he will stand in the batters box.  And they do situations and all that type of stuff.

And based on where pitches are they tell the pitcher, OK that guy singled off of you, now you are pitching to such and such batter with guys on first and second and one out.

That's weird.

That's weird.

It gives you a chance to see a guys stuff, without risking injury to hitters fielders, etc, and having them actually in a game. It is strictly an evaluation tool, that is usually used to rehabbers.

Well, lets hope that Coop can see something that Koch can't in his motion/delivery. Most know I am Koch's #1 supporter, and I wanna see the guy get righted.

You'd have to be a moron not to want to see the guy get back to his dominate stuff. No one could touch this pen if he was back to his old self.

You'd have to be a moron not to want to see the guy get back to his dominate stuff.  No one could touch this pen if he was back to his old self.

Hey, you callin me a moron? Don't hide behind that monitor and call people names....no wait, that personal atack argument was last night...sorry.

That's weird.

It gives you a chance to see a guys stuff, without risking injury to hitters fielders, etc, and having them actually in a game. It is strictly an evaluation tool, that is usually used to rehabbers.

Oh I know, but I think it's weird that they say "OK, that would have been a single" or whatever. A pitch right down the middle can be swung through, and a pitch a foot out of the zone can be hit out of the park. That's the part I find weird, the "playing god" part, saying what would happen. :huh:

It'd be alot easier with Rick White in there......

RW..pitch...

Coop: ok, thats a ground rule double. Man on 2nd, no outs

RW..pitch...

Coop: ok, thats an infield single. Second and 3rd, no outs.

RW..pitch...

Coop: OK, thats a 3 run homer...thanks Rick, you can go now.

It'd be alot easier with Rick White in there......

RW..pitch...

Coop: ok, thats a ground rule double. Man on 2nd, no outs

RW..pitch...

Coop: ok, thats an infield single. Second and 3rd, no outs.

RW..pitch...

Coop: OK, thats a 3 run homer...thanks Rick, you can go now.

LOL.