MiLB.com story about Ian Gac

scenario

Sally Notebook - 5/20/10

Gac making most of his chance with new organization

At 24, Kannapolis' Ian Gac realizes a player his age in the South Atlantic League needs to post big numbers in order to move onward and upward sooner rather than later.

Fortunately, the Intimidators' first baseman is doing his part by hitting the ball hard nearly every time he steps into the batter's box and emerging as one of the circuit's most feared middle-of-the-lineup sluggers.

Getting to this point in his career has required Gac to experience the highs and lows the Minors have to offer. The 6-foot-3, 240-pound first baseman began playing professionally in 2003 after he was drafted in the 26th round by the Rangers out of high school in Washington.

Gac hit 107 home runs during his seven seasons in the Texas organization, including a career-best 22 last year at Class A Advanced Bakersfield in the California League. He became a six-year Minor League free agent in November and signed a month later with the White Sox.

"In some ways it feels like I'm starting all over, like when I was first drafted," Gac said. "I went to Spring Training and didn't know anybody. I was trying to impress people and show them that they made a good choice in signing me. It's been fun so far. I definitely enjoyed my time with the Rangers, but I'm having fun playing with these guys. When the White Sox signed me, they said they wanted me to play every day and I've been doing that. Things have been going well."

Gac has been the catalyst in the middle of the Kannapolis order. In addition to tying for the league lead with 16 doubles and 22 extra-base hits, the right-handed hitter tops the team with six home runs and 22 RBIs. He is also hitting at a .292 clip, thanks to a .322 norm with four homers and 10 RBIs in his first 15 outings in May.

"I'm trying to keep things simple by seeing the ball and hitting it," Gac said. "Sometimes I get in a habit of trying to do too much, such as trying to hit a ball too hard or too far. That's when I get in trouble and fall into bad habits. When I'm going good, I'm putting the ball in play consistently. That's what I'm trying to do every time I go out there."

Gac posted a seven-game hitting streak from May 1-8, during which he had five multi-hit outings while going 13-for-27 with three home runs. He proceeded to post three multi-hit performances in his next six games to reach the .300 level, unchartered territory for much of his career.

Although the numbers give him good reason to expect a promotion, the first baseman knows that worrying about things that are out of his control is fruitless. And until he gets the word from manager Ernie Young that the Chicago brass is transferring his services to another team, Gac plans on punishing pitchers as much as possible at Fieldcrest Cannon Stadium and throughout the rest of the Sally League.

"I've definitely learned over the last seven years that you have no control over where you're playing," Gac said. "I've expected to go to Double-A in the past and didn't, and then later I'd get promoted when I wasn't going that great at the plate. You can't try to figure any of that stuff out. All you can do is go play hard every day and that's what I'm doing."