If You Want a Top Prospect

Marty34

The key to getting a top prospect in a trade is to get a bidding war going. All things considered, Thornton fetches us the best return without creating the biggest hole. Think of what the Rays would give to keep him out of Yankees pinstripes or vice versa.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we really do need to look at trading Thornton.

The odds of him becoming a successful closer are 50/50 at best. Sure, he's pretty cheap, but he's had a lot of wear and tear on his arm the last 2-3 seasons....and, once again, I'm not convinced he would be a closer who would end up with an 85% or above save conversion rate.

We have to listen to any offers out there for Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Thornton, Jenks, Putz, Pena, Konerko, Quentin, Ramirez, etc.

However, the only players close to "peak" value right now are Konerko, Thornton, Danks and Rios. We'd be selling "low" on almost every player on our roster....maybe Jones and Putz would get some interest as well, just Jones has done another nosedive like 2009.

Ramirez could be intriguing to a number of teams, but then we can't put Beckham there (at SS) unless we want to have Lillibridge/Vizquel/Nix/Retherford (two of the four) playing 2B/3B everyday. Teahen either sits or is 1B/DH and takes Kotsay's role as 25th man.

We also have to seriously consider the possibility of selling high on Rios, even though it seems anathema and a bit illogical, since he's currently our best player. Unfortunately, it's hard to trade Buehrle, Peavy, Jenks, Konerko....which means, as the Tigers learned, you have to cross your fingers and trade players like Granderson and Jackson and hope to get the best of those trades (as DD seemingly did).

The key to getting a top prospect in a trade is to get a bidding war going. All things considered, Thornton fetches us the best return without creating the biggest hole. Think of what the Rays would give to keep him out of Yankees pinstripes or vice versa.

Williams needs to develop a master plan. God knows what it will be. If salary is indeed a concern, I'd trade Peavy and Rios and start rebuilding with all that extra money at hand.

The only untouchables? Maybe the starting pitchers not named Peavy, but s***, they may all be overrated stiffs as well.

I'd personally keep the starting pitchers and trade any and all of the everyday players and go young young young.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:15 AM)
I believe Sox have a $3M team option which is a no-brainer.

Agreed, he's one of the most dominant forces in the game and we're lucky to have him. I just think that if we can get something significant for him, you have to do it. If you're trading him for the sake of trading him. don't do it.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)
Teams are really going to give up that much for Thornton? Say a team wants him to be a set-up man, they're not going to give up ultra-prospects for him. Thornton has more value to the Sox than he does other teams.

Who can bring us the most back in trade over Matt?

Danks, of course. Who would be #3? Putz? Pena? Alexei Ramirez?

We have no idea what we'd get for Rios or Peavy...Buehrle, Floyd, Konerko, etc.

Trading Quentin or Beckham would be the definition of insanity, especially Gordon.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
Agreed, he's one of the most dominant forces in the game and we're lucky to have him. I just think that if we can get something significant for him, you have to do it. If you're trading him for the sake of trading him. don't do it.

Ricardo Rincon for Brian Giles comes to mind right away.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
I would be willing to trade everyone with the exception of Danks, Beckham, and Santos. I think we need to seriously consider dealing Rios.

I disagree soo much.

Look how long it took us to finally get a competent CF out there. Not only does he have power, but he has the speed and defense for CF. I would file Rios under UNTOUCHABLE, along with Beckham. Everyone else is expendable, really.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 05:30 AM)
Okay, Larry Anderson for Jeff Bagwell.

Haha, another bad example. But there's no reason to trade Thornton, as he's more valuable to the Sox as being affordable with his 3 mil deal next year. If anything, make him your closer next season, and if he shows promise, either extend him or trade him when his value is even higher.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 05:30 AM)
I disagree soo much.

Look how long it took us to finally get a competent CF out there. Not only does he have power, but he has the speed and defense for CF. I would file Rios under UNTOUCHABLE, along with Beckham. Everyone else is expendable, really.

For as well as Rios is playing, his contract starts getting into astronomical territory the next few seasons. With that being said, no way does he get traded.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
For as well as Rios is playing, his contract starts getting into astronomical territory the next few seasons. With that being said, no way does he get traded.

Huh? Rios is set to make $12 in 2011 and 2012, and $12.5M in 2013 and 2014...... That's Paul Konerko money. I would have to say that a speedy, defensively gifted CF who has good power is more valuable than a power hitting 1B who has absolutely no speed. Also, so far this season, Rios is already been worth $11.7M (according to FanGraphs) and the season is only 1/3 over.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 04:36 AM)
Huh? Rios is set to make $12 in 2011 and 2012, and $12.5M in 2013 and 2014...... That's Paul Konerko money. I would have to say that a speedy, defensively gifted CF who has good power is more valuable than a power hitting 1B who has absolutely no speed. Also, so far this season, Rios is already been worth $11.7M (according to FanGraphs) and the season is only 1/3 over.

I thought it climbed up to like 15-16 million range. Maybe I got his contract confused with Vernon Wells.

Rios makes a reasonable amt of money, he just makes it for a long, long time (till he is in his mid 30s). You are maybe thinking of Jake Peavy who gets 15/16/17 I think with a 20+ option for 2013.

Anyways, at this point nobody is off the table (except Gordo due to selling way low). Kenny should entertain offers for pretty much everyone.

I hope Putz keeps it up, because then we can deal him too..

If we trade Thornton and a dominant Putz, we would get a pretty good return..

If you hang onto those two until the deadline, and they keep up their current paces there will most certainly be two teams in desperate need of a bullpen arm to part with something good..

Keep in mind Fathom that if we start dealing pieces it might be a year or two before we are a playoff caliber team again.. is having a dominant Thornton more important on a .500 team than getting a valuable piece for the future? I don't think so. If Kenny decides to pull the plug, I think trading Thornton now would be a very wise decision.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 04:53 AM)
Keep in mind Fathom that if we start dealing pieces it might be a year or two before we are a playoff caliber team again.. is having a dominant Thornton more important on a .500 team than getting a valuable piece for the future? I don't think so. If Kenny decides to pull the plug, I think trading Thornton now would be a very wise decision.

No way KW would actually go forward with a complete rebuilding though. I can't FATHOM that happening.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)
I would be willing to trade everyone with the exception of Danks, Beckham, and Santos. I think we need to seriously consider dealing Rios.

I kinda agree with you actually. I think people are getting carried away of a couple of months of hot baseball from him (he has been a solid hitter over the years I know) and with the others sucking. Funny thing is, we heard the same stuff about Peavy last year in only 3 starts cause of his track record, as an untouchable for us by people. Rios' value may never be higher and he is still in his prime for teams even with the contract. (which looks waaaay more affordable now cause he is hitting, I remember last year posters here saying it was an albatross)

The ONLY reason I would hesitate on Rios is because we really don't have a stud CF in the minors, who can step in right away. My guys I still want here are Floyd, Danks and Beckham. Everyone other than Peavy and Rios (who will probably stay cause of their contracts and I will put Buehrle in this too only because I love the son of a b****) is fair game. I love Santos, but I'm still not THAT sold on him, not yet to put as an untouchable. (we will obviously keep the kid however, especially with him being very cheap and has a good arm)

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 10:14 PM)
Thornton needs to be trade becasue his value has never been higher. Honestly, i don't see us being able to resign him either.

Thornton's value has been insane for like 3 years now. Every GM knows he is a beast/what he is about. In fact.. I remember one GM gushing him up not too long ago (Theo?)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:57 AM)
No way KW would actually go forward with a complete rebuilding though. I can't FATHOM that happening.

Yeah, if we made that seismic a shift, I’d feel like I’d been struck by a THUNDERBOLT. Nah, that's doesn't even make logistical sense. I guess it's only cool when, you do wordplay with your username :lol:.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:00 AM)
Thornton's value has been insane for like 3 years now. Every GM knows he is a beast/what he is about. In fact.. I remember one GM gushing him up not too long ago (Theo?)

I'd argue that it's higher then in the past, because we suck this early on in the season, and it's starting to look like a definite notion to other GM's that Thornton could be had.