The Suggested Moves / Who Goes/Stays thread

chiguy79

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
Exactly. I never had the ridiculous expectations for the kid as others have had. I expected him to be a "nice little player". Average defensively, decent but not great speed, decent average (.280ish), decent power (18-20HR) and generally good baseball IQ. But some, including many here had the kid as the next Robbie Alomar or George Brett and saw him as "untouchable." I thought the Sox could get a great value for him if they wanted to trade him this past offseason.

He sure as hell looked to be a lot better than that last year. Hit 14 HR and 28 doubles in 2/3 of a season, and that was as a 22 year old rookie. As well as he drove the ball the other way last year and controlled the entire plate, he sure looked like a guy who could hit well over .300 and push 25-30+ HR.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 06:13 PM)
He sure as hell looked to be a lot better than that last year. Hit 14 HR and 28 doubles in 2/3 of a season, and that was as a 22 year old rookie. As well as he drove the ball the other way last year and controlled the entire plate, he sure looked like a guy who could hit well over .300 and push 25-30+ HR.

He's too small and not super-athletic. Again, not knocking him because I think he's going to have a nice major league career.

I don't know where to start. This team is as bad as 2007 yet there hasn't been a significant injury. Payroll is over 100 million. We have NINE guys on active roster hitting under .250, and four swirling around .200.

1. DFA Kotsay, Randy Williams, Ramon Castro, Scott Linebrink.

2. Send Gordon Beckham, Carlos Quentin to AAA and get them some easy at bats and a hitting coach (Even though it seems there AAA hitting coach sucks too.)

3. Sign Jermaine Dye NOW, get him a few weeks in AAA and have him DH/PH/OF when needed. (If he's willing, or he can stay at home and keep laughing at former team).

4. Recall Dayan Viciedo til Dye is ready, Donny Lucy, Morel

5. Make trade with Cubs. They have FIVE outfielders who could start here and make any of ours look silly. They need pen help, so say Bobby Jenks Colvin or more likely Xavier Nady.

6. Make a trade, get some prospects. Move Buehrle and AJ P. As much as I don't want them to go, they probably won't be resigned and can get back a few decent prospects.

C- Tyler Flowers, Donny Lucy

1B- Paul Konerko

2B- Jayson Nix (BECKHAM)

3B- Morel (til Teahen unfortunately comes back)

SS- Ramirez

RF- Pierre/Quentin

CF- Rios

LF- Jones/Quentin

DH- Dye/Viciedo/Nady/Pierre

SP - Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Garcia

Hudson

CL Santos

SETUP Thorton

Putz

Torres

Pena

Ryan Braun

I think after all those changes the team still sucks, but might have a better shot at winning. This team would atleast be .500. And a new coaching staff wouldn't hurt either, or a hell a GM that's whats to win his way, not Ozzies way.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
I don't know where to start. This team is as bad as 2007 yet there hasn't been a significant injury. Payroll is over 100 million. We have NINE guys on active roster hitting under .250, and four swirling around .200.

1. DFA Kotsay, Randy Williams, Ramon Castro, Scott Linebrink.

2. Send Gordon Beckham, Carlos Quentin to AAA and get them some easy at bats and a hitting coach (Even though it seems there AAA hitting coach sucks too.)

3. Sign Jermaine Dye NOW, get him a few weeks in AAA and have him DH/PH/OF when needed. (If he's willing, or he can stay at home and keep laughing at former team).

4. Recall Dayan Viciedo til Dye is ready, Donny Lucy, Morel

5. Make trade with Cubs. They have FIVE outfielders who could start here and make any of ours look silly. They need pen help, so say Bobby Jenks Colvin or more likely Xavier Nady.

6. Make a trade, get some prospects. Move Buehrle and AJ P. As much as I don't want them to go, they probably won't be resigned and can get back a few decent prospects.

C- Tyler Flowers, Donny Lucy

1B- Paul Konerko

2B- Jayson Nix (BECKHAM)

3B- Morel (til Teahen unfortunately comes back)

SS- Ramirez

RF- Pierre/Quentin

CF- Rios

LF- Jones/Quentin

DH- Dye/Viciedo/Nady/Pierre

SP - Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Garcia

Hudson

CL Santos

SETUP Thorton

Putz

Torres

Pena

Ryan Braun

I think after all those changes the team still sucks, but might have a better shot at winning. This team would atleast be .500. And a new coaching staff wouldn't hurt either, or a hell a GM that's whats to win his way, not Ozzies way.

not likely

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
Addressing KW in your title might make him read it; please don't do this KW.

OK, who is the one responsible for Dear Kenny: Please trade for Mark Teahan and give him an extension ?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 01:11 PM)
This is like the third time I've had to say this in a week, so let me say it as clearly as I can.

Dayan Viciedo is no longer a 3b. They have moved Dayan Viciedo to 1b. Dayan Viciedo is a 1b. He will not play 3b.

A 3rd times a charm Balta? My bad man.

Interesting post.

I would agree it would be nice to never see Kotsay or Randy on the field again.

What's up with Buehrle. Is he this bad? Is he toast?

Floyd and Buehrle have really been bad, bad bad. And Jake has been mediocre at best.

I'd agree getting rid of Kotsay and Randy would be a start.

Of course I hate Omar and Pierre as well and Pierre hasn't been "that" bad.

Torres and Ryan Braun are terrible. No reason to DFA Linebrink during a bad season. Now if we were in the thick of the hunt and we had to deal with Linebrink being garbage then that would be a different story, but as it is we should do as much as we can to move him without eating every penny of his deal.

Also, I don't know the point of playing prospects if none of them are ready sans Hudson. There's nothing wrong with letting young players learn at the MLB level during a trash season, but please, let's get some guys who deserve it first. If we tank then we're better off trying to strike gold with reclamation projects at the MLB level. Now would be the time for another Quentin/Floyd/Thornton/Uribe acquisition for example, where we pick up a highly talented player who hasn't made it and we see if he can play.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)
So, what exactly does trading Jenks for Xavier Nady accomplish?

You know, actually that might not be so bad for this reason: Jenks is gone in all likelihood because of the arb situation, so if a player like Nady is the best we can get (and some mediocre at best prospect struggling in AA is NOT a better deal) then at least Nady allows us to move Paulie for a better prospect, and on the off chance Nady does well here, because of his salary situation it would make him easier to retain for 2011. And most likely Nady wouldn't do much, but you could still look to deal him off in another Mackowiak-for-Link type of deal at the deadline or in August.

That said, I really doubt we'll be in a situation where Xavier Nady is the best we can get. No matter what Jenks is doing now and no matter how interesting he can make his saves, the fact is that he is a former All-Star with very good stuff and a track record, and the National League just isn't very good at all. Bobby in the NL might put up an ERA under 3 with a very respectable WHIP should we trade him there, and you know NL GM's are aware of that. As long as the Sox eat enough salary, Jenks, while he won't fetch any big name prospects, will bring us some young players with talent.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
Don't make moves just to make moves, make moves to get better/win.

I agree 100%, however Kenny hasn't done jack all offseason and it doesn't look like he's ready to start now. I want to see this team win ballgames and, even if they can't contend this year, I want to see us finish like we did in 2004 (picking up Uribe, Rowand having a great year, trading for Freddy and Jose, etc), where everyone knew we were out but at the same time the fans could look toward the next year with some optimism. Don't end this like 2007.

I totally understand the idea of trading off soon-to-be free agents and non-tenders, as long as the Sox have already decided certain players won't be back. But yeah, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to see Jordan Danks and Tyler Flowers up here striking out.