The Suggested Moves / Who Goes/Stays thread

chiguy79

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:54 AM)
In slight defense of KW I think he is probably holed up in the fortress of solitude plotting his team's attack on the 2010 Amateur Draft.

I've heard this too. Any move that was going to be made was always going to happen after the draft, which is when KW shifts gears back to the main ball-club.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some moves will be made...they'll have to. But, I don't see any of the starting pitchers going anywhere, except maybe Danks, only because he hasn't signed an extension. I think AJ will be moved, and maybe Jones. I hope Konerko signs again, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's dealt. I just don't think the starting lineup is going to look all that different come August 1.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 07:20 AM)
Some moves will be made...they'll have to. But, I don't see any of the starting pitchers going anywhere, except maybe Danks, only because he hasn't signed an extension. I think AJ will be moved, and maybe Jones. I hope Konerko signs again, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's dealt. I just don't think the starting lineup is going to look all that different come August 1.

I think Garcia is moved before the deadline and Hudson gets his shot. He's doing what he needs to do to earn it. Garcia is affordable to any team, he's pitching darn well, and he's a likely "Offer him arbitration and maybe grab a pick" candidate.

I think KW will dangle starters but will demand a king's ransom for the other guys, and with Cliff Lee and Roy Oswalt on the market, there's no one who's going to pay the necessary price for our guys.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
I don't know where to start. This team is as bad as 2007 yet there hasn't been a significant injury. Payroll is over 100 million. We have NINE guys on active roster hitting under .250, and four swirling around .200.

1. DFA Kotsay, Randy Williams, Ramon Castro, Scott Linebrink.

2. Send Gordon Beckham, Carlos Quentin to AAA and get them some easy at bats and a hitting coach (Even though it seems there AAA hitting coach sucks too.)

3. Sign Jermaine Dye NOW, get him a few weeks in AAA and have him DH/PH/OF when needed. (If he's willing, or he can stay at home and keep laughing at former team).

4. Recall Dayan Viciedo til Dye is ready, Donny Lucy, Morel

5. Make trade with Cubs. They have FIVE outfielders who could start here and make any of ours look silly. They need pen help, so say Bobby Jenks Colvin or more likely Xavier Nady.

6. Make a trade, get some prospects. Move Buehrle and AJ P. As much as I don't want them to go, they probably won't be resigned and can get back a few decent prospects.

C- Tyler Flowers, Donny Lucy

1B- Paul Konerko

2B- Jayson Nix (BECKHAM)

3B- Morel (til Teahen unfortunately comes back)

SS- Ramirez

RF- Pierre/Quentin

CF- Rios

LF- Jones/Quentin

DH- Dye/Viciedo/Nady/Pierre

SP - Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Garcia

Hudson

CL Santos

SETUP Thorton

Putz

Torres

Pena

Ryan Braun

I think after all those changes the team still sucks, but might have a better shot at winning. This team would atleast be .500. And a new coaching staff wouldn't hurt either, or a hell a GM that's whats to win his way, not Ozzies way.

You probably shouldn't have started at all. It's really a good thing that you are not the GM. Sign Dye? Send a relief pitcher who makes $5.5 million per season to the minors? Send down Beckham and Quentin? Trade for Colvin or Nady from the Cubs? Keep Freddy Garcia and Daniel Hudson in the same rotation? Trade for Ryan Braun, and even worse, make him a pitcher? Those are all terrible moves/ideas.

FYI, Buehrle doesn't have to be re-signed because it's not the last year of his deal. Maybe trade him because he isn't any good anymore, but who would take on that contract with the way he's pitching?

You completely miss moves that actually need to be made like trading Konerko, Putz, and possibly Garcia and Jones. I agree with you that Pierzynski needs to be moved and possibly even Jenks if there's a taker. I would like to see Morel up and playing 3B right now instead of a Nix/Vizquel/any other garbage they want to put out there platoon. I would even like to see Daniel Hudson moved up to the rotation, but only if that means he's replacing Freddy Garcia and not Mark Buehrle. And I can't argue with sending down Randy Williams or even just dumping Mark Kotsay.

I guess I agree with your larger point that this team is a disaster and in need of some changes, but don't at all agree on how the Sox should go about making most of their changes.

I would like to see Morel up and playing 3B right now instead of a Nix/Vizquel/any other garbage they want to put out there platoon

Morel was just moved to AAA, he's ahead of schedule getting to that league, he's struggled for his first 20 at bats or so, and frankly, he belongs there for at least this year.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:18 AM)
You probably shouldn't have started at all. It's really a good thing that you are not the GM. Sign Dye? Send a relief pitcher who makes $5.5 million per season to the minors? Send down Beckham and Quentin? Trade for Colvin or Nady from the Cubs? Keep Freddy Garcia and Daniel Hudson in the same rotation? Trade for Ryan Braun, and even worse, make him a pitcher? Those are all terrible moves/ideas.

I think he meant the Ryan Braun we have in our system, LOL :lolhitting

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:19 AM)
Morel was just moved to AAA, he's ahead of schedule getting to that league, he's struggled for his first 20 at bats or so, and frankly, he belongs there for at least this year.

So you would rather watch Nix/Vizquel every day for the next six weeks over Morel? I'm not with you on that one. All Omar Vizquel does for every inning he plays the field or every at bat he takes is take experience away from a younger guy who could truly use the major league experience, good or bad. Omar is a complete waste of space.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
So you would rather watch Nix/Vizquel every day for the next six weeks over Morel? I'm not with you on that one. All Omar Vizquel does for every inning he plays the field or every at bat he takes is take experience away from a younger guy who could truly use the major league experience, good or bad. Omar is a complete waste of space.

This is an easy answer: Yes. No hesitation.

What's the worst that happens? We lose some games? Big deal.

What's the upside? Maybe Nix has a few good games, gets more comfortable at the position, and becomes a more effective platoon player? Maybe Vizquel keeps up this little hot streak he's on and someone from the NL decides they'd be happy with a backup defensive IF who's hitting .275. We also save a minor league option on Morel, and we don't screw around with a guy who might be an important piece for us in a couple years by putting him in a place that he's not yet close to ready for.

And I still say Teahen's better than what we've seen, when he gets back.

If Brent hits .300+ and hits 8+ HR in Charlotte for the rest of the year, then we can start talking about a September callup for him.

Otherwise, he has enough of his game to work on down there, and we ought to plan for another AFL stint for him too.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
So Pierzynski said he is open to a trade. So do you guys hate him now or think he's an asshole?

He doesn't have 10/5 rights yet, so it doesn't really matter if he's "open" to a trade or not.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
Right, it's not up to him if he is traded, but he is open to it. Do you think people should be pissed at him for that?

I'm not pissed at him for not wanting to leave.

I'm pissed at him for hitting .218 for the first 2+ months of the season.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
So Pierzynski said he is open to a trade. So do you guys hate him now or think he's an asshole?

I don't ever think I would be mad at AJ. I think he is under valued by a lot of fans and we will see that once he is gone.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
I don't ever think I would be mad at AJ. I think he is under valued by a lot of fans and we will see that once he is gone.

Well my point is that Peavy made comments about being traded, and Peavy's comments were much less inviting, and yet people were saying "f*** Peavy, you bum" and saying he never wanted to be here anyway, and all this and that. Yet AJ makes comments today much more damning about being open to a trade, and yet no one cares......

quite the double standard....

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Right, it's not up to him if he is traded, but he is open to it. Do you think people should be pissed at him for that?

I'd be more pissed at him for not wanting to win another ring. And that sure as hell isn't happening in Chicago.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
Well my point is that Peavy made comments about being traded, and Peavy's comments were much less inviting, and yet people were saying "f*** Peavy, you bum" and saying he never wanted to be here anyway, and all this and that. Yet AJ makes comments today much more damning about being open to a trade, and yet no one cares......

quite the double standard....

I haven't read what Peavy said but AJ has more of a history here in which makes his comments more forgiving.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
No, not really. Is there a reason that I should be pissed at either of these guys?

No, not at all. But read through pages 1-3 of this thread. People were villifying Peavy for his comments he made, and then AJ goes and makes more damning comments and no one made any mention of it. I don't think either one of them said anything they should not have.

I don't really care. I'm just sick of watching him hit. He has a terrible approach at the plate. When he grounded into that double play on the first pitch after two walks and a hit batter, that was the last straw with me. I really want to see him go.