The "Is it over or not?" thread

hi8is

We play the Twins 12 times from July to September.

If we can close the gap to 5 games before the break in July -- it's possible that we pull a 2005 Huston Astros and turn this around.

I'm not saying it's likely - but it is possible.

We have the pieces.

This aint completely over yet fellas.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
We play the Twins 12 times from July to September.

If we can close the gap to 5 games before the break in July -- it's possible that we pull a 2005 Huston Astros and turn this around.

I'm not saying it's likely - but it is possible.

We have the pieces.

This aint completely over yet fellas.

Kevin Garnett was right, anything is possible, but some things just aren't probable. I'd love to see this team turn it around, but honestly, it might be better for the long-term prospects of this franchise if we unload, reload, and move on.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
Kevin Garnett was right, anything is possible, but some things just aren't probable. I'd love to see this team turn it around, but honestly, it might be better for the long-term prospects of this franchise if we unload, reload, and move on.

And I think that's the key: reload, not rebuild. We still have a core here for a very good baseball team.

You realize we just lost 2 of 3 to Cleveland ... again ... and you open a thread like this? We barely win one of the 3 games.

And you write this after a game in which Mark sucked again?

It is over. Like Ozzie said yesterday, something like, "the offense is s***; or the offense sucks."

Also the starting pitching sucks.

It is over and it's time to plan the firesale. I still don't think he'll be able to make moves til the traditional trading period near the deadline.

He might try, though, if anybody wants our lousy players.

I'm not saying it is probable or likely.

I'm saying that we aren't that far gone and that it is possible that we turn it around.

Did I say we're playing good baseball?

Nope.

Do I think this team is capable of playing good baseball?

Yes.

Will they?

Probably not -- but it is possible.

Go back to pouting guys - I'll continue to be myself and hope for the best.

Suck it up guys.

Cheers

Go back to pouting guys - I'll continue to be myself and hope for the best.

Suck it up guys.

Cheers

Not pouting. Just realistic about a horrible baseball team.

And happy about the Blackhawks' chances. They've had a great postseason no matter what happens but a title would be beautiful.

im all for having hope that we turn it around, but seriously why do these always pop up when we win ONE game after coming off a string of embarrassing ones?

maybe its from the high of finally getting a win, but weve shown very little of being able to consistently win..

He's right. It's possible that the White Sox can win all of these last 106 games.

It's also possible that I can still be elected President of the USA as long as I am still breathing.

However, it's more likely that I'm elected President than the White Sox even so much as finish with a winning record against Cleveland.

Anyone that has watched this team and hasn't concluded that they are pure garbage is just refusing to believe their own eyes.

This season could be extended for the next 20 years and the White Sox wouldn't ever again come within 8 games of the Minnesota Twins.

Can you say....gar - bahj ?

This team is a bunch of meanies! They will have a game like yesterday and make us think there's hope. Then they'll go on a streak where they'll lose 5 of 7. But for some reason they just won't quite get to that magical 10 games under .500. Bunch of hope-getter-uppers! Either lose or win...don't jerk us around!

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 06:23 AM)
This team is a bunch of meanies! They will have a game like yesterday and make us think there's hope. Then they'll go on a streak where they'll lose 5 of 7. But for some reason they just won't quite get to that magical 10 games under .500. Bunch of hope-getter-uppers! Either lose or win...don't jerk us around!

You watch your mouth son. Don't make me come over there and wash it out with soap.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 07:11 AM)
Unload and reload please. The goal is to win the World Series, not to just catch the Twins. Can this team playing at their best win it all? No.

Well, if the Sox miraculously catch the Twins, that probably means they get really hot and stay that way for the rest of the season. So by nature, if that happens, we would look awfully good in the post-season, having the hot hand.

If the starters could all pitch to their expectations then yes, this team can turn it around. However, there is no indication of this, our starting stuff has been beyond horrible. Our BP is fairly solid if we can avoid Guillen bringing in Williams in critical situations. I can see our offense coming around, but it all rests on the shoulders of the starting staff.

And they look horrible. MB was throwing batting practice yesterday. JFP's arm is dead. Floyd is a basket case.

Unless that miraculously changes we're screwed.

I am in agreement now that one of the biggest (if not the biggest) issue has been the starting pitching. When Freddy Garcia, who many thought would never make it through spring training, is your second best pitcher (and THE best as of late), the you've got issues. Peavy and Floyd are huge disappointments, and so is Buehrle. All three of these guys have to turn it around right now in order for the Sox to have even a hint of a hint of a hope.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 08:27 AM)
Well, if the Sox miraculously catch the Twins, that probably means they get really hot and stay that way for the rest of the season. So by nature, if that happens, we would look awfully good in the post-season, having the hot hand.

If you're KW and you believe at all this can happen, that's your best motivation for firing the manager.

I don't believe it can happen personally.