Draft Day 1 Thread

Heads22

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Right, I understand the concept, but as you said that's shady dealings. I dislike it very much.

Sounds like something that would happen to us next year when we have a top 5 pick, and we'd end up taking a guy projected to go in the 20-30 range :lolhitting

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
Sounds like something that would happen to us next year when we have a top 5 pick, and we'd end up taking a guy projected to go in the 20-30 range :lolhitting

What doesn't make sense to me is the Sox reported interest in Grandal. There would be a large discrepancy in what Grandal would likely receive as a bonus over someone like Loux and Wojo. Are the Sox willing to loosen the purse strings for talent that falls? And does that apply to talent that falls to 2nd and 3rd round range?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
While I'm not enamored with most the college arms available at 13, I wouldn't be upset with them. Loux is the exception. Yuck.

This is exactly how I stand too.

Edited by Ozzie Ball

With Wojo, at the very least you're getting someone that can be a power reliever if starting doesn't work out. With Loux, you possibly have a rotation member to go along with McCullough and Broadway for the Windy City Thunderbolts. Kidding...I hope!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
Don't ever let people on this board talk you into thinking that meaningless wins at the end of the season are a good thing.

No doubt. Picking 13 in this draft class kind of sucks. No-man's land as Laumann said.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
Live chat:

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/07/2010-ml...?sms_ss=twitter

1:16

[Comment From AlanAlan: ]

Any new White Sox buzz? Please tell me Barret Loux won't be the pick.

Monday June 7, 2010 1:16 Alan

1:16

Frankie Piliere:

I continue to hear Brentz. Wojciechowski and Kvasnicka also are options.

That's my question.

Kvasnicka, do not want. Maybe in a later round, certainly not at 13.

I would prefer Brentz to Loux though, and I'm not high on Brentz at all.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
Callis mock draft has Sox taking Loux, EVEN with Grandal and McGuire still on the board. If that happens, you might as well just sell the team.

NO to McGuire. He's being touted as this year's 'safe pick' who 'knows how to win.' We've seen how that philosophy has played out in the past.

I'd really love to take a chance with Matt Harvey if he's around. Although I know better. He'd be a great selection for someone with multiple first round picks, like the Angels or Houston.